Disturbing theft from motorhome in France.. (1 Viewer)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
I'm currently heading for Calais to get the ferry home and arrived at an aire in Mesnieres-en-Bray in northern France today. My neighbours are a British couple, Mark and Helen, who have been here a few days and we got on talking as you do. Mark was spending a lot of time securing his bikes onto the rear external bike rack and he told me that they had a bad experience a few days ago in Wissant. Apparently they arrived at the aire in Wissant only to find it full so they found another parking place nearby where there were a few other vans parked up. All was fine until during the night when they were awoken by the van rocking around a bit. He tried to go outside only to find a number of males holding the cab and hab doors shut while another male used bolt croppers on the bike cable locks. They had four bikes stolen and have had to buy two new bikes to use while they continue their trip. I've never heard of a brazen theft like this and Mark said it was probably just as well he couldn't get out of the van as if these people were prepared to go to these lengths, where would they stop? Its also something that's hard to combat, one of the bike locks was alarmed but that didn't deter them, if you climb out of a window then you're in a confrontational situation with people who may be carrying weapons and outnumbered. Just thought I'd better post this so people are aware, I'm not trying to put people off using aires as I've not had any problems. I've stayed at Wissant aire twice overnight before getting the ferry and had no problems but even that has pathways leading into it.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Lean on the horn---- might make them run.
Years ago I was told if alone in the house and suspect there's someone trying doors/Windows/walking round on property, put on all lights possible, open windows and throw something out ( hopefully something cheap that will smash and make a noise) Not much use in a van but maybe popping up the roof light and yelling.

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Why not just start the engine and drive off?
I will get the full details later, possibly over a vino but they may have been on ramps or, if they're anything like me, have recliners etc in the front area and a steering lock on. He said they were very quick and didn't seem fazed at all by the alarm going off.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Like many here, I gave used Aires, to overnight, as they were intended to be used. But, when I overnight, my van it pretty much ready to drive off, and the direction to leave is clear. Whilst I wouldn't reverse first, I would be tempted to drive off at a speed, just out of reach of anyone running and stop abruptly lol

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Perhaps they could not drive off or sound their horns or call 112 or take photo's as they were gassed............(y)

Reactions: SMB
OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Like many here, I gave used Aires, to overnight, as they were intended to be used. But, when I overnight, my van it pretty much ready to drive off, and the direction to leave is clear. Whilst I wouldn't reverse first, I would be tempted to drive off at a speed, just out of reach of anyone running and stop abruptly lol
Yeah, even just to make it hard for them to remove the bikes, rolling it backwards and forwards. Of course, when you've just woken up and this is happening your brain might not react quickly enough. It sounds like they came prepared and didn't take long...

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
That's the reason we always reverse in, so we can get away quickly if need be. Only happened once so far but I bet the folk got a terrible fright.
Hope the scumbags get caught.

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Perhaps they could not drive off or sound their horns or call 112 or take photo's as they were gassed............(y)
Like I said, whens its actually happening its different than with hindsight. As for gassing, thats an urban myth isn't it? :Eeek:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Paul .. forget saving the bikes if it happens to you.... just leave your keys handy each night and get out of there. If you run the buggers over ... tough! Any damage to your van isn't worth thinking about. Better that than damage to you and yours.

I get so angry that these bustards think they are entitled to take what others have worked and saved for... I do worry being solo traveller .. it's scary that the alarm didn't phase them. :(

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
I
That's the reason we always reverse in, so we can get away quickly if need be. Only happened once so far but I bet the folk got a terrible fright.
Hope the scumbags get caught.
I do as well, preferably against a fence or bushes, anything to try and make it hard for them but there's no way I could drive off straight away, steering lock, blinds closed, chairs and coolbox in the front area as the front seats are fixed...

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Like I said, whens its actually happening its different than with hindsight. As for gassing, thats an urban myth isn't it? :Eeek:

Gassing yes, I do feel for them, but as many on here do - I have our MH ready to drive away, so should something like this happen I can just drive away and deal with whatever or whoever I run over with the Police afterwards.

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Paul .. forget saving the bikes if it happens to you.... just leave your keys handy each night and get out of there. If you run the buggers over ... tough! Any damage to your van isn't worth thinking about. Better that than damage to you and yours.

I get so angry that these bustards think they are entitled to take what others have worked and saved for... I do worry being solo traveller .. it's scary that the alarm didn't phase them. :(

I know Joy, it annoys me too. Until you're in that situation you dont know how you will react. I wouldn't be able to drive off so it would be down to how many there are etc. As for the alarm, when something like that happens so quickly its not much use, Wissant isn't a massive place and I would be surprised if there was a manned police station there..

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the scumbags wont be caught as the french police would then need to process the details of the probably african migrants. far easier to ignore the minor thefts and hope they go to great britain quickly

we have plenty of room for thousands more criminals of course

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Why would van be rocking?
Bolt cutters, snip snip lift off bike and away.
Unfastening straps, removing the bike cover, pulling at the bikes? They may have woken up as or after the cables were cut, the thieves are acting in the dark ..

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Leave your grey water tank open and when you drive off they will slip on the grey water if they try to chase you . I saw that in a bond movie or it may have been oil . :rofl:

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
the scumbags wont be caught as the french police would then need to process the details of the probably african migrants. far easier to ignore the minor thefts and hope they go to great britain quickly

we have plenty of room for thousands more criminals of course
The bikes weren't cheap apparently, two road bikes and two off-road bikes. But you are right, I wouldn't hold my breath regarding the cops if they're up to their necks like ours are..

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Not going into it but I had scary happening on a beautiful sunny day in York on wide open road next to a forest .. so it can happen any time ... A man had me terrified .. I was on phone to @Carol giving running commentary as I was scared .. at opportune moment I put van in gear, clutch down and started engine to tear off at speed. My only regret when I think about it .. often, as it traumatised me .. was that I didn't reverse over his motorbike first.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Just looked at the op again and see he had moved off an aire to where some other vans were parked, not suggesting anything but was it a gypsy site?

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Good chance they will have parked across the front of the MH to stop any get away

Scary event in the middle of the night I would reckon, glad they were not hurt
That is the main thing, bikes can be replaced even though I would be gutted.

OP
OP
SMB

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Just looked at the op again and see he had moved off an aire to where some other vans were parked, not suggesting anything but was it a gypsy site?
I don't think so, the way i understood it was there weren't many other vans there and one was British so probably just a car park. Although I have seen loads of gypsies the last few days the further north I've travelled. I wouldnt park anywhere near if there was a hint of them being close by, not tarring all with the same brush but I know from experience how some of them operate..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back