Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
I've just bought a set of reversing sensors to fit to my van, and noticed that the recommended fitting distance between sensors is between 30 - 40cm.
As my van is 7' 6" wide I would need to exceed the 40cm by a fair bit to give even coverage.

What distance do you have between your sensors, and do you see any problems by increasing it as mentioned?

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No
The problem is that their field of vision (which sweeps out in an arc from the sensor) is only about 90 degrees. So anything outside that field is not seen. The more sensors you have, the less blind spots and the more chance of seeing an obstacle. Wider vehicles like motorhomes would normally have 4 sensor kits, I bought one such kit on ebay for about £20.

OP
OP
J

joggerman

Free Member
Jul 21, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Just Looking
Exp
Since 2004
The problem is that their field of vision (which sweeps out in an arc from the sensor) is only about 90 degrees. So anything outside that field is not seen. The more sensors you have, the less blind spots and the more chance of seeing an obstacle. Wider vehicles like motorhomes would normally have 4 sensor kits, I bought one such kit on ebay for about £20.

The kit I bought is a 4 sensor kit, which at 40cm adds up to 160cm between the outside sensors. As the motorhome is 230 cm wide it would leave the corners unprotected if I stick to the 40 cm maximum.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
The kit I bought is a 4 sensor kit, which at 40cm adds up to 160cm between the outside sensors. As the motorhome is 230 cm wide it would leave the corners unprotected if I stick to the 40 cm maximum.

FWIW my MH dictated the positioning. Two right at the corners and one either side of the number plate.

It seems to work.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It will be OK to space equally out to suite the motor home:thumb:
Making sure the corners are well catered for, there may of course be small blind spots that may allow collision with small concrete posts etc.
Short of fitting two kits you wont get full guaranteed coverage
They are after all reversing aids not an auto pilot:Doh:
there is no substiute for looking where your going first:RollEyes:

Peter James

Free Member
Dec 5, 2009
Funster No

The new Sevel (like mine) vans have 4 sensor kits as a factory fitted option, so when you take of the rear plastic bumper to fit the kit the holes are marked for them moulded into the plastic, and holes already made in the inner metal bumper that reinforces the plastic one. Mine measures 20cm from the edge of the van, then 47cm, then 59cm, then 47cm then 20cm. Exact measurements are not critical. There will always be some blind spots like if you reverse up to a narrow post that is between 2 sensors it will disappear from their view when you get very close to it. But a 4 sensor kit should still serve your van well enough. Hope that helps :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scotties

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 23, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Since 2006
Sensors ...

Hi Joggerman, fit the 4 sensor kit and spread them a little, (got mine from e-bay about £15), and they work a treat,:thumb:although as one of the guys said, they are a aid, use the mirrors/rev cam as well,

Regards Richard

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back