Dish or Dome ??

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by RS SPIKE, Jan 3, 2016.

1. RS SPIKE

RS SPIKE Funster

I have a Avtex STH3000 Portable aerial which is ok if there is good coverage in the area where you are parked.
    We have been away this xmas and struggled a bit to be honest,so we are thinking of going down the satellite route.
    So not sure which route to go dish or dome ??
    Can't be doing with the fuss of a portable dish so it will have to be fixed and pref auto tuning.
    Look forward to your comments phill

2. Smith and Sharp

Smith and Sharp Funster

Yes, me too..:)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

We have a dome supplied by @eddievanbitz. Can't remember what it is called but it's very good(y)

• Like Like x 2
  4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

If money isnt an issue then go for a dome.

Lower profile than a dish, more streamlined than a dish and unaffected by winds....but if it snows you need to get on the roof to clear it....a dish can be lowered to clear it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kelv

kelv Funster Life Member

I have a 85cm dish oyster great bit of kit get most of the uk channels down to the Spanish border never had any issues.

• Like Like x 1
  6. RS SPIKE

RS SPIKE Funster

Have you a link please ?

7. RS SPIKE

RS SPIKE Funster

Just a thought how much power does it take to run a dome or dish ??

8. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

Having hardly watched any TV for the past 3 weeks cos of wind, I have a dish, I would say go for a dome.

• Like Like x 4
  9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Couple of amps.

A manual dish is powered by the sat receiver
    A dome or auto dish is usually powered by its own control box

• Like Like x 1
  10. HymerB544

HymerB544 Funster

They both have pros and cons. We have an 85cm automatic Oyster linked to a Humax box and an Avtex TV, and it works very well, right down through France. But if the wind gets up, the dish is like a sail and you will lose the signal. Also, you can't get a signal in southern Spain unless you hav one of those monster dishes regular UK caravanners carry across the rear of their vans.
    So a dome will not be affected by the wind but..........

How high is your van? Ours is under 3m even with the dish and aircon unit on the roof (dish retracted of course). A dome would be higher than that and may cost you when booking a ferry if height is an issue.
    Are we happy with the auto dish? Definitely. Would I stick with a dish on my next van? Who knows? Technology marches on, but as things stand, yes. Gary

• Like Like x 2
  11. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

I would say very little power, mine is the dome type and once my dish has locked on to the sat I turn that box of tricks off.
    I use an Avtex tele with built in sat receiver.

12. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

If you want to get the very last dregs of UK transmissions as you near the Spanish border then get the biggest dish you can fit (85 or 100 cm). If that is not a critical issue and you want decent coverage in all of the UK and most of France, then a dome will be very easy to live with. The issue of a dome being unaffected by wind can be a clincher - particularly if you go to places like the west coast of Scotland!
    We have had a Camos 40 dome for about 5 years and find it a great bit of kit - made in South Korea by WiWorld. They were imported by Roadpro who now have them under their own brand (later version of the same item).
    https://www.roadpro.co.uk/retail/product_list.aspx?prod=RoadPro+Sat-Dome+Systems

Eddie Vanbitz supplies the American Tracvision which is also a very good bit of kit.

• Like Like x 2
  13. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I also considered both , I weighed up the pros and cons of a Dome and Dish... decided on a a dish, and bought an Alden AS4 Auto Dish from Vanbitz ..

cracking bit of kit, easy to install, everything you need is in the kit.. including the Sikaflex and gloves..

It comes with a LIFETIME WARRANTY on satellite system.

Used it this summer s far as the south of France with all UK channels..

From pressing the 'On' button to finding the signal and locking on takes less than 45 secs..

Highly recommend it.. @eddievanbitz will give a Funster discount

You can buy cheaper Domes and Dishes.. but you get what you pay for.. am delighted with it..

http://www.vanbitz.com/mobile-installation/alden/

• Like Like x 4
  14. Clarky

Clarky Funster

We had a Camos 40cm dome on our previous vans (also fitted by RoadPro) and it worked very well, unless under trees.
    On our new van we have an 85cm Teleco dish which does seem to find the signal better when there are trees around. It always finds and locks on to the satellite quickly. However, I am a bit wary of using it in windy conditions.
    It is interesting to note that you very rarely see a dome on European vans, they all seem to have dishes.

Richard.

15. The Dude

The Dude Funster

We had a dome on our last van. A low hanging twig (definitely couldn't have been classed as a branch) caught the dome and smashed it. They are quite delicate. We now have a Maxview dish and it's great but we always take it down when it gets too windy.

16. wingman

wingman Funster

@RS SPIKE
    I have a Snipe system. I did have a portable dish, but like you, I couldn't be arsed with trying to tune it in.

Domes? They increase the height of the van, cause slight drag etc.

The Snipe is ideal for me. Has an internal GPS, locks on to the signal, sorts out the 'skew' and Bingo! A steady picture in a jiffy.

Works well down into France too.

I haven't bothered to bolt mine to the van roof (don't like holes) That way, I can place the unit where I wish (including the roof) or on a small camping table.

Cost me a tad under £600

Hope this helps?
    James

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hyacinth 1

Hyacinth 1 Funster Life Member

We have an oyster dish and used it in the Gail's we had in November and December with no problems at all

Liz

18. Hyacinth 1

Hyacinth 1 Funster Life Member

We have an oyster dish and used it in the gails we had in November and December last year with no problems at all

Liz

Edit: sorry about the double post iPad playing up

19. stephen harwood

stephen harwood Funster

Yes i have oyster dish good bit of kit

20. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

Never ceases to amuse me when I watch these nice posh vans with domes or dishes mounted on the roofs juggling back and forth trying to get a decent satelite signal. Happened again over Christmas when my mate moved his van four times so that SHMBO could catch up on one of the soaps. Apparently, his set up does not come with standard terestrial free view equipment! Can't believe that!! If I can't get terrestrial I get out my £49.99 lidl's satellite dish and tuner and with out moving the van I can normally get a signal all be it that I have to aim in the right direction. Be like me, keep it simple!! Works fine in UK and a good part of Northern Europe.

• Like Like x 1