Discounts available on new for cash buyers ?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by carhil, Jul 4, 2016.

1. carhil

carhil Funster

Hi all,

Me and the misses are looking at buying our first motorhome. We never go camping or caravanning so this is feet first into the abyss!! We have thought about it for along though time and now seems as good time as any.

From peoples experience here what discounts, if any can be had as a cash buyer ? We are looking at the Swift 644 as that seems to fit in with what we require and a brand new one. So, any dealer experiences with discounts? We are based in Surrey if that helps.

Cheers all

Carl

2. Spidey

Spidey Funster

:hiya2:

Hello we have bought new twice and there always a deal to be done. Members can download a book on this website that gives you loads of info on buying a motorhome.

If you have never camped before have you thought of hiring to ensure you like the holiday style?

3. Diggerdi

Diggerdi Funster

We are also interested in this. We will be buying, cash, a new Pilote P650JG early next year. At list price of approx £50,000, what discount could we hope to get? Alternatively, would it be more likely that we could get extras such as awning, spare wheel or solar panels?

4. carhil

carhil Funster

We are pretty certain that we would enjoy it. We are also an all or nothing couple, in for a penny

5. Langtoftlad

Langtoftlad Funster Life Member

Cash buyers sometimes don't get the best discounts.
    I've often found when buying (though not admittedly a MH) that bigger discounts are available if you take finance - presumably because the business can earn more in commission.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Discounts of 20% are not unheard of on new vans
    What you save now, you won't lose when you sell later.
    We got a good discount on our new Beessie a couple of years ago, and only lost a few thousand when we upgraded it a year later.

7. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

We didn't buy new, but achieved a 10% reduction off the screen price plus other valuable sweeteners when we purchased outright.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. carhil

carhil Funster

20% really ! I consider myself a reasonable negotiator, I would be happy if I could pull that off !

9. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

Maybe end of season etc.... We traded a caravan in and got around 3% discount, this seemed to be the same at both the dealers we visited/negotiated with but it was height of the season in November so a lot will depend on the time of year, stock availability, demand etc. No doubt with little demand the price can drop with more demand (our make/model was a sell out) the dealer can hold out a little more.

10. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

I am sure any discount will depend what the van cost the dealer, if you are looking at continental models they will be costing the dealer more sometime down the line unless the £>€ exchange rate picks up again.

Martin

11. funflair

If you have a trade in they can massage the figure with big% discounts etc etc, the only bit that matters is how much lighter your wallet is on the way home.

Martin

• Like Like x 1
  12. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

True,the dealer 'massaged' the figures when we bought ours, the only thing that matters with us if we're changing is the final amount we have to pay.

• Like Like x 2
  13. jdk62

jdk62 Funster

I agree.. We pick our new van up on Saturday morning and part exchange our current van. For me I was only interested in the difference that I had to pay. As it turned out we got a fantastic deal and was £10k cheaper than any other dealer.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Not sure that's true
    U.K. Retail price for a European import is the UK retail price

15. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Maybe now is the time to buy from current stock, for anyone thinking of buying a continental van in GB?

16. carhil

carhil Funster

Cheers folks. One dealer I rang said they prefer to part ex. I mentioned that another dealer was nearly 2k cheaper for same model and he said we are always willing to do deals.

So what should/could I expect in a deal ?

Reversing telly, bike rack etc ? what the heck is comfort pack ?

Its all new to me and lot of the deals look very similar. I guess the best is to write down exactly what deal is on the table from each dealer and compare

Im looking here to start with on a new 644.

http://www.michaeljordancaravans.co...le?motorhome=9EBB40A121D2EF5280257EF10052A818
    http://www.marquisleisure.co.uk/motorhomes/stock-item/swift-escape-644

17. funflair

Hi Robert

I am not sure you have quoted the correct post buy anyway I can't imagine UK retail prices staying as they are if the Euro stayed depressed for too long. Some UK dealers quote factory order model pricing in Euro (the conversion to UK price would be when the order was placed and paid for) where physical stock is in GB Pounds.

Martin

18. Geordie and the Dragon

Geordie and the Dragon Funster

Visit NEC Birmingham in Oct before making your final choice, next years new models are on show to order for 2017 delivery. However for a cash buyer good deals can be got for new 2016 MHs in stock so go for best discount, plus necessary extras, Fully Winterised, rear-view camera day/night coloured, awning, extra habitat battery & solar panel 100 watt plus, oven, tow bar ? cruise control, cab air conditioning, Sat-nav, TV, Radio/mp3, alloy wheels, Gaslow R 67 refillable gas bottles 1 & 2 11kg Paintseal ?
    It's a daunting list I know but it is better to get it right first time than to loose thousands changing if it doesn't please, finally try lying on the beds are they fit for purpose & comfy, sit in the front and imagine sitting there for two or three hours are they comfortable ?
    The 644 is heavier than 3.5 tonnes, engine size 2.3TD with a healthy payload, is it up to the job ? Dependant on your age how long before you're 70 licence requires renewal at this age to comply with all vehicles over 3.5 tonnes.
    Apologies for giving you a lot more than you needed to know it is your choice after all, but I have found there is much to enjoy by the research and anticipation made all the sweeter knowing what you really want beforehand, it also works in your favour for the salesmen will twig that you know almost as much as they do, if the deal is not right for you walk away there are lots of MHs to be sold before the Winter arrives. God luck and Happy travelling :tmi:

• Like Like x 2
  19. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Remember to check the spec of the "goodies" that you get negotiated into a deal

Some cameras retail for hundreds of pounds, some can be bought for £20 on eBay, the same with in dash entertainment/navigation units, solar panels and regulators and satellite equipment and TV's

Even more so with security systems and tracking systems

So if offered a "package" ask for the make, model and specification of the goodies. If they don't know, ask the to find out, if they can't chances are it will be the cheapest they can acquire!

We see the aftermath of this regularly, when we are paid to remove dealer fitted equipment and install something that works properly

This is not a pop at dealers, and I know some dealers install decent equipment, I am just suggesting when a salesman "throws in" a goodie you look into it a little further.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  20. buttons

buttons Funster

Are you sure.....:giggle: