Discount for cash!!!`

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by chippy63, Jul 29, 2014.

1. chippy63

chippy63 Funster

Looking for a new van we came across this http://motorhomes.autotrader.co.uk/...l-notts-mfpa-8aa12bc8476839110147729a56ea0e67

Went to have a look, really liked it ,Good layout(i always say that :rolleyes: ), went to office to see salesman
    spoke to a guy i explained was looking for a deal and i had no P/X, he said i can knock £500 off thats all for cash.

I thought it was overpriced to start with ,I was expecting a couple of grand off. Am i wrong ????

Karl

• Like Like x 1
  2. irnbru

irnbru Funster Life Member

We thought we would get a few grand off too but 1000 was the maximum so we ended up buying private. No warranty should something go wrong but we insisted on a fresh hab certificate.
    We are happy with our deal.

• Like Like x 1
  3. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

No but you have to be prepared to walk and if you've fallen for it that can be difficult so its your call, whats your max spend, I would say your about right 23 to 24 grand, lay the cards on the table and let us know how it goes(y)

• Like Like x 1
  4. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

The first van I "almost" bought was a second hand Eldiss Autoquest 180, priced at £26k. I had no P/X ,and I was paying cash.

The dealer did not even realise it had a solar panel till I asked about the regulator rating. He was so uninformed about the van when asked questions.
    Anyhow he too offered a me just an initial £250 off the price, great I thought, less than 1% discount for cash.:doh:
    After some haggling I offered £24,500 cash there and then.

He then had dropped to £25, 000, just £1000 off. He then said to me, "come on you don't want to loose this van for just £500 do you", to which I replied "and do you want to loose this cash sale for just £500", at which point I walked.

I'm glad I did because I know now that an end lounge was definitely not the right layout for us, and I chuckled when 2 months later I saw the van, still on his forecourt listed at under £24k.........

• Like Like x 3
  5. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

It seems to have plenty of extras - Satellite TV, reverse camera, alarm - make sure they all work - and a warranty

If it is exactly what you want then go back and just get the best deal you can and buy it.

It is more important that you find the van for you.(y)

You might spend hundreds looking and come up with something not as good.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi I don't think it's too high a price in the first place considering it's based on the Merc.24/24.5 k would be a better price (y) Go back and sharpen your negotiating skills;)They have already offered a measly 500 off -push harder -you should get it down to 25 at least :)try to grab a different salesman he may offer more off -you are already armed with some suggestions from above :) good luck -remember they want to sell it as much as you want to buy it :D
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  7. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

There's a saying I was told many years ago.............

A man asked the old farmer "How much discount for cash?" The farmer replied ...........

"If I'd known you wanted discount I would have added something on in the first place!":LOL:

The van seems good value - if the van's right for you anything off is a bonus(y)

8. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

If he is a good salesman and can see from what you say and reading your body language then he isn't going to offer a great deal and it is very much harder to get one. Once you have gone as far as you can simply leave your number and ask him to call if he can improve the offer. That way, you have walked away (showing him you aren't desperate) but without closing the door. He has his sales targets to meet so might be able to sweeten a bit if short of target. Also, ask to talk to the manager who has the real power of decision over discounts....... Cheers and good hunting

• Like Like x 3
  9. chaser

chaser Funster

Don't know about the price, but they are a sound dealer

• Like Like x 2
  10. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Discounts, 100% of nothing is nothing.

It's simple, the van is worth what you are prepared to pay for it. Ask for his best offer. If it is above what you are prepared to pay, say sorry too much and walk away. If he, as a result still want's to talk, remind him you asked for his best offer. Then give him one more go. Then if it is still above what you are prepared to pay, there are plenty more out there, unless of course it was a Winnebago.:rofl:

• Like Like x 2
  11. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

Without being gloomy, I guess that the summer is nearly over and dealers may start offering better deals to get rid of stock. The decision to be made includes how much the van is worth to you and how long could you risk waiting for it to drop in price?

• Like Like x 1
  12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Does the discount come off the salesman's commission? Not a specific question about this MH, but a general question really.

• Like Like x 1
  13. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

I get the impression that you can get a better discount if buying with some finance as the dealer gets a commission on that which they can then pass on if so inclined. I'm not a dealer but I believe that to be the case. Might be worth trying that route - then pay the finance off after 1 month if the sums add up!!!
    That said - looks a good van at a good price to me(y)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Terry

Terry Funster

Probably not he will go to either manager or someone above and tell them the deal to get it ok-ed - If I walk on a deal I always leave my number -surprising how many ring you within an hour ;)
    terry

• Like Like x 3
  15. Abacist

Abacist Funster

Is there anything it hasn't got that you want that you could suggest be fitted rather than have cash off the price. The value to you is more and the cost to him is less. e.g bike rack, tow bar, satellite etc

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

Its looks a nice clean van, reasonable miles, extra's and on a Merc, I think I heard Oaktree were a decent dealer as well, face them up with an offer near enough to make it difficult for them to turn it down

• Like Like x 1
  17. tambo

tambo Read Only Funster

On the other hand in a month the market will be flooded with private sales .....if dealer selling for 26k you can bet he paid 22k max private sales are much easier to get bargains and from my experience warranties on second hand campers from dealers aren't that great they can usually get out of any claims

I know the dealer my sister bought hers from had a sold as seen policy on anything under 30k and she had quite a few problems that even trading standards couldn't sort out .....:(

• Like Like x 1
  18. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

Looks like a great van Karl and Fay will be ok not falling out of bed in this one :roflmto:
    If you do buy it come visit us at Malvern we're there for the duration:party3:

• Like Like x 1
  19. chippy63

chippy63 Funster

thanks for all the comments & advise, I will try offering them £25,000 and see how we go.

Karl

20. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Keep us posted - looks a nice van and not a bad price. Make an offer and leave your number as we said.

Looking forward to Malvern.........

• Like Like x 2