Discount expected on RRP new M/H

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gorse Hill, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

What would fellow funsters expect in terms of discount off RRP on a new M/H (burstner) new build for delivery next may
    I was thinking 10%, am I realistic or can I expect more, will be interesting to see what can be gained and from different manufactures
    Before you suggest going to Germany @Judgemental am not, but any other input welcome (y)
    Thks

• Like Like x 2
  2. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

If you can't see yourself driving LHD its a moot point is it not. If you want to know a LHD out of interest as the difference should be less then £2k as that is how much more English dealers pay. Let me know the model...

Soooo if you want to know how much your being tucked up let me know:)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

I'd certainly try for 20% and use examples for vans on Mobile.de as a pricing example for the dealer to compete against
    I appreciate you don't want to buy in Germany, but your dealer doesn't need to know that

• Like Like x 3
  4. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Good point, Thks

• Like Like x 1
  5. Candapack

Candapack Funster

I think you'll get a better discount without a trade-in, so if you've got until May, try to sell any current van privately. You could get more for it that way anyway.
    Don't ignore the option to ask for free extras instead of discounts. I think a lot of Burstner goodies are offered as cost options.
    You specifically say it's a Burstner, then mention different manufacturers. If you meant different dealers, then definitely play one off against another. And don't ignore the benefit of a local dealer. (Big difference buying in Germany/Belgium if you live in Cheshire/Scotland, or Sarth London like some on here. (3 hours from Belgium I'm told, I'm 6 hours from the NEC!!))
    I was offered what I thought was a very good deal at the NEC, but by a dealer some 300 miles from where I live. Back home, I spoke to local dealer, they couldn't quite match but I was happy to go with them, they're 25 miles away. (Autotrail Apache 632 Eddie, if you're still interested.)
    I have much less experience of this than many on here, so expect you'll get a lot more advice. Good luck and enjoy new MH.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

To be honesty judge I did follow the recent thread on the this subject with great interest but having read all the posts pros/cons I've decided to have my pants taken down in the UK(y)

• Like Like x 2
  7. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

It depends on your negotiating power and how much the dealer wants the sale. I would think 10% is an absolute minimum just for turning up. Aim at 20 and settle for 15 if you're happy.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Robert Clark

You don't have to take your pants down to buy a van in the uk - you just need to do your homework and play hardball

• Like Like x 3
  9. NickNic

All a matter of timing.

A quote from a conversation I had in the week. No context offered or intended.

"Why should I discount something I can sell at full price?"

• Like Like x 2
  10. Candapack

Candapack Funster

Hmmm; pants down, hardball, might as well add don't get shafted. :eek:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Very informative pretty much bang on, I have got a trade in but have got plenty of sites booked in for the next 3 months and can't see myself without a van for 6 months but my budget/prices quoted RRP are based on giving my van up now and waiting to May, however if I get a 15% discount then that should offset the deprecation of my van if I sell next year and keep hold of it
    Thks

12. Abacist

Abacist Funster

Answer

Because its an extra sale and extra profit for you and potential future servicing but if you don't want to sell a new van to me
    then I'll find someone else who will either in this country or abroad

• Like Like x 4
  13. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

I know it's possible just wanted it confirmed by people who have done it a few times, but I have to accept am probably going to pay about 5/7.5% more in the UK, personally I think it's worth it but I can see an argument against
    I do intend to ring a number of dealers with my exact spec, as usual the funsters knowledge about what I can expect is useful (y)

14. Robert Clark

If you only had one to sell, that would be a very reasonable argument
    However, dealers can order many vans, some they will make a high margin on, others they won't
    It's a bit like outlet shopping centers
    All the high street brands are there, selling the same stuff they sell at full price on the high street - but at half the price
    Different audience - different margins
    The trick being to sell as much at high margin as you can, whilst not losing any if the low margin business either

• Like Like x 2
  15. NickNic

I take your point absolutely but look at it from a selling point of view. You have two units to selling three potential customers. Two customers are happy to pay your asking price, the third one wants discount. Which two are you going to concentrate on?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Robert Clark

We got 20% off our new Cathago and I'm pretty certain judgemental was offered 24% off a 2016 model too

• Like Like x 1
  17. NickNic

Quite right if you are selling something with an unlimited timescale to order.

If you have a limited window to order and if you can fill your order book for that window with full price orders then the customer that is arseing you around for an extra 20 quid on windscreen wipers can bugger off and buy a Burstner. :D

• Like Like x 2
  18. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

Me too but I didn't actually fancy one of them.

• Like Like x 1
  19. maison

maison Funster

Buying at a show a few years ago we argued with dealers for the best deal re free " extras". When told" that's as far as we can go" we thanked them politely and let them see us move across to another dealers stand.

When we left that one the first dealer intercepted us and said that, on consideration they could match our request. We bought from them.

Supply v demand works both ways!

• Like Like x 2
  20. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

IMV I seriously doubt you'd get 10% off! On a £40k van that's £4,000 ... with the exception of the Carthargo above, I don't think you'll stand a snowballs chance in hell! Sorry.

• Like Like x 1