Disaster flushing tank out

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by kickstart, Mar 10, 2012.

1. kickstart

kickstart Funster

Sick as a parrot,just been trying to flush out my water tank ready for Easter,was using the hose pipe with the fitting on the end of it that you can adjust to spray the garden and its come off the end of the pipe as I was taking it out, stuck about 6 inch down the filler neck, impossible to get to it :Sad:

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Can you take the filler pipe off at the tank end and poke something up the pipe to poke it out?

3. Terry

Terry Funster

Not what you want to hear but the water will pass by it to fill the tank,all be it slower :Smile:
    terry

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

if it was coming out when it came off then poke a flexible rod down and push it in.....aint going to come to any harm in the tank....any metal parts will be brass..

5. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

6" not so bad it went in so will come out, make a hook out of a wire coat hanger and fish for it there are even flexible grabs ( try a motoring shop). Failing that you may be ablle to take the hose off somehow and them push it back out. depends how / where its fitted.
    moral of the situation, keep a special filling hose with nothing on the end.
    If you cannot get it out I have a flexible grab down here and maybe could sort it (come on down to my birthday bash and make a meet of it) Good luck

6. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

Ha Ha Ha you fool :Blush:

I did that once with my other van it went in and after a few trips I took the big red screw cap off the bottom of the water tank and fished it out.
    you are not the first and you will not be the last:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  7. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

8. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

9. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

I've done this too, Jaydee managed to fish it out.

10. schojac

schojac Read Only Funster

Hi,

be careful pushing anything down the filler pipe with any force. They are easily damaged and that will be a strip down to fix.

11. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I guess many of us have done it! Took me about 45 minutes of fishing with two long skewers to get a purchase on the spigot end of the nozzle. Now, I never use a nozzle, but simply hook the end of the connector over the lip of the filler spout. The diameter of the connector is large enough to prevent it jumping out of the hole.

You might find this a useful recovery tool - I think it would open sufficiently to get a purchase on the spigot. (Also great for getting those nuts and bolts that fall into inaccessible crevices.)

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Flexible-Claw-Pick-Up-Tool-610mm/dp/B000RA14QM[/ame]

12. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

They are great have had almost the same for years, they must have saved me hours of work as a service eng. recovering parts that I Have dropped into machines.

13. Swifty_Morgan

Swifty_Morgan Read Only Funster

I'm a bit of a biff when it comes to these things, but it seems to be a very handy fitting. The water inlet on my Swift has a little 'hatch to open first.
    Gizza clue how to use this new fitting, anyone ?

14. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

When you lift the lid, is there a cap on the water inlet ? Almost all vans have them
    You simply take the cap off and put the connector widget in its place
    When you have finished the fill up, take the widget back off and refit the cap

Basically it is just a cap with a hose attachment on it

15. sedge

sedge Funster

Muggins did that on a French campsite, first trip out when the van was new.

Been trying to think how Pete (eventually) got it back somehow, after I'd spent several hours on and off during that holiday, lying on the floor inside the M/H, with the floor hatch removed and the top unsrewed up to my shoulder in freezing water in the tank and entirely unable to reach the inner end of the inlet pipe. Despite my long arms and thin hands. Fortunately there was some space round it so it just took a LONG time to fill until he wangled it out again. I know he didn't buy anything special though.

(I don't think that was the time Pete went Oh sheet! or similar and when I inspected the problem I said Hang on a minute while I think about this. Aaah, I wonder ..... then came in the house to find a crochet hook, which we duct taped to the end of a garden cane and Pete went fishing, because ISTR that was summat to do with an elderly BSA Lightning gearbox he'd taken to bits and was reassembling! ) :Rofl1: