Oct 30, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi,
When I brought my new Autotrail Apache 700 in 2011 my insurance company insisted I had a tracker fitted which I duly did. The last couple of years my insurance now does not require a tracker and the price wanted from the tracker company was ridiculous for the insurance discount saving.

I have now cancelled my contract and wish to disconnect the tracker as it appears there is quite a drain on my vechicle battery and as it is in storage with no ehu and the solar panel can't cope in this dismal weather the battery is being drained quite quickly.

Not bothered about finding the tracker unit, just want to disconnect the wiring to the unit. I know it is a long-shot but anybody ideas where it is likely to be wired from?

Regards

Nidge

RogerThat

LIFE MEMBER
May 20, 2016
North West
Funster No
MH
PVC
What make of Tracker?

This is critical

But... I'm not sure disconnect / removal will solve your battery drain issues?

Your best bet for saving your battery when in storage is simply disconnect the battery (y)

OP
OP
N

nidge

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
This is critical

But... I'm not sure disconnect / removal will solve your battery drain issues?

Your best bet for saving your battery when in storage is simply disconnect the battery (y)
Thanks, thought of that, bit of a pain to get to the battery though. How long would the battery last before needing charging? and any problems with onboard ecu etc ? I do not have a alarm fitted.

From fully charged the battery is unable to start the engine after about 3 weeks even with a 80 watt solar panel.

Nidge

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
What? then that means your starter battery is US. fit a new one and check your solar charging. You will get NOTHING from your solar in this grey winter let me tell you I have 300w on the roof and nothing much in this grey and damp.

Connect a volt meter to your starter battery, to give you an idea on a good healthy battery these readings are what you should be getting:

Voltmeter reading Approx state of charge

12.7V or over 100 per cent

12.5V 75 per cent

12.4V 50 per cent

12.2V 25 per cent

12V or under Discharged

OP
OP
N

nidge

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
What? then that means your starter battery is US. fit a new one and check your solar charging. You will get NOTHING from your solar in this grey winter let me tell you I have 300w on the roof and nothing much in this grey and damp.

Connect a volt meter to your starter battery, to give you an idea on a good healthy battery these readings are what you should be getting:

Voltmeter reading Approx state of charge

12.7V or over 100 per cent

12.5V 75 per cent

12.4V 50 per cent

12.2V 25 per cent

12V or under Discharged
Thanks for the info. To be honest this battery problem has being from when the M/H was new . The solar was charging fine on my last outing in September. How long do you think a fully charged battery should last on my M/H before needing charging?

Nidge

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
do you have one leisure battery and a seperate starter battery?

You would need to check the amp drain on your starter. you would need a ammeter. ( best if you put a rated shunt across your battery and follow the manual) google how to use an ammeter. i am not going into how and why. This will show you drain. once known unplug all your fuses. look at the ammeter. then put them all back, one at a time and you will see whats using what.

if this makes no sense to you get it into a garage dont do a diy on it

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nidge

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
do you have one leisure battery and a seperate starter battery?

You would need to check the amp drain on your starter. you would need a ammeter. google how to use an ammeter. i am not going into how and why. This will show you drain. once known unplug all your fuses. look at the ammeter. then put them all back and you will see whats using what.
Yes, do have both batteries. Will do the battery drain test when at the M/H.
Thanks

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
3 or 4 weeks with parasitic drain is average

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
An 80 watt panel should easy cope with just keeping the battery top up all year round. Our last van only had an 80 watt panel never plugged it in at home for 6 years.
What solar regulator have you got? If only a cheaply could be worth changing for a decent MPPT one.

Reactions: f6c

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
If your battery is in a difficult position to disconnect then suggest you consider a battery master switch to allow easy disconnect. If I am leaving a vehicle for any length of time I always disconnect. Started one of my Landies the other day first time for 12 months or so and it started first time.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
the only real way to disconnect it is to find the unit itself and trace the power wires back to source.
it near IMPOSSIBLE to disconnect it by disconnecting random wires....they could feed ANYTHING and removing one wire at a time then testing the tracker to determine if its off or not could take days.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Another option is to find the local car thief he can probably locate it in a couple of minutes for you:whistle::whistle:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Simply contact your installing dealer. Any firm worth its salt will have installation notes.

However, unless it is a Micky mouse system or incorrect installation, it won't cure your problem, trackers use bugger all when dormant

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
3 or 4 weeks with parasitic drain is average

You would be right there bit having an 80w solar and returning after 4 weeks to find a totally flat battery seems wrong. I can go 6 weeks from 12.7v to 12.2 and still crank it with no weakening of the battery. and that's with no solar going to the cab battery or battery master in line.

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009

Maybe you need to check your system, we have 160 on the roof and in this miserable grey weather all batteries were fully charged yesterday when we went to check in storage. Do find that switching off the control panel akes a difference.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
From fully charged the battery is unable to start the engine after about 3 weeks even with a 80 watt solar panel.

Nidge

That is pretty much normal with modern vans, without solar. So are you sure the tracker is fed from the starter battery ? Are you sure your solar charges the starter battery.

Is it a tracker plus immobiliser ? That could make it more difficult.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Are you sure your solar charges the starter battery.

That is the question. Even in West Wales winters a panel easily kept my engine battery topped up via a VanBitz battery master

Kevan

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 18, 2014
Kent and south west France
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
30 years caravan/motorhome
I had my tracker locate removed,(n)i know where they fit it but this may not be the place to say, in case every one gets there motor home nicked and blames me:whistle: the reason i had it removed was because of the charges per year, had one fitted which was one of payment for the length of my ownership of motorhome and insurance approved.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
one thing tracker fitters lack is imagination weve always found trasnsit ones behind the glove box so im sure that every make will have a set postition 90%of the time

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
one thing tracker fitters lack is imagination

And any thief who can steal a MH will probably be full of it. OK a take it for a ride type who found the keys may be caught by a tracker, but a pro, I'm not so sure.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If your battery is in a difficult position to disconnect then suggest you consider a battery master switch to allow easy disconnect. If I am leaving a vehicle for any length of time I always disconnect. Started one of my Landies the other day first time for 12 months or so and it started first time.
Not a good idea to disconnect batteries on newish vehicles could mean a costly trip to the main dealer each time you re-connect to reset the electronics.

OP
OP
N

nidge

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks to all for the useful replies. The solar does charge the Starter battery, but obviously not enough in this grotty weather. The solar regulator is factory fitted with the Sargents control panel. Just thought that disconnecting the tracker would be 1 less drain on the battery. Seems everybody has different opinions on if the solar should be enough to keep the battery charged or wether or not to disconnect the battery. Will check to see if I can track down any obvious battery drain and just keep a eye on things and see how it goes. Once again many thanks for all the replies.

Nidge

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Any decent digital multimeter with a 10amp and 2amp range setting could be used to check parasitic drains without a shunt.
If it's taking 3 weeks to drain it will be in the milliamp range.
Set meter to amps with the probe leads in the correct sockets.
Disconnect battery pos lead following any instructions/requirements.
Connect meter probes between pos battery post and pos battery lead.
If the reading is less than 2amps switch to 2amp range for a more accurate reading.

100ma drain will total 50amps over a 3 week period.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back