disabled friendly? (1 Viewer)

Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
Hi all, sorry i have been so quiet lately. After our last trip in Sept to France i started battling a few health problems and the last 4 or 5 months has been a complete rollercoaster. I am faced with having to give up my job as a paramedic and take ill health retirement at the age of 48.

My condition is life changing not life ending so im trying to look at is as being life beginning as i will now be free to travel whenever i like and boy do i intend to make the best of it :D

We have a tunnel crossing booked for this coming wednesday and are heading down towards Benidorm or Altea to begin with then carrying on around the coast and into Portugal (never been to Portugal). This will be a big test for me as previously we have done a lot of sightseeing on our trips away but i am struggling with mobility at the moment and have to wear various supports and braces (i end up looking like robocop!).

We will be bringing our bikes with us and i think i will probably find cycling easier than walking if the terrain is good. Is Portugal fairly flat around the algarve? our bikes are not electric so i need to use pedal power. I know that if i am struggling in Spain they have ebikes for hire in the tourist areas - is this the same for Portugal? Also are wheelchairs easy to hire in both Spain and Portugal if i find it all a bit too much? I dont use one here but have been warned that i should consider one for long days out etc

At the moment hubby is still coming to terms with all this as it has happened so fast and i am trying to keep things as normal as possible - he was all for cancelling our trip altogether!!! I managed to convince him it is just what i need but dont want to put him off before i go by insisting on taking loads of things 'just in case'. we only have a small motorhome with no garage so haven't really got room for a wheelchair. I am taking a folding walking stick though. I think he will feel more comfortable about it all if he knows hiring wheelchairs and electric bikes is easy to do in both Spain and Portugal.

thanks in advance

oh and any advice on places to visit between Benidorm and Lagos would be appreciated too. Not been to that area yet.

billy&val

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
swansea
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
3 years
good on you like you i suffer badly i have a electric bike worth the world we are down in benidorm regular there is not that many proper cycle tracks but you will get bye there are a couple of mobility shops there which hire out electric and ordinary wheel chairs
good luck to you hope you have a fab time like we do

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Most pharmacies in Spain do wheelchair hire and lots of other place too including electric wheelchairs. e-bikes for hire are good as they are peddle assist so you still get the leg exercise without the effort :D2
I have no idea on the costs but from what I did see it was reasonable.

Coasts are good as mostly flat and promenades have cycle lanes...

Albir is great and in between Benidorm and Altea and camping cap blanch is right on the sea front, lots to do in the area not as loud as Benidorm and I think better then Altea....

It will be getting quieter now as most snowbirds will be going back home so aires as well as sites will be more available..
don't know too much about Portugal as we only popped in this year as the weather wasn't good and went back along Spain...

I didn't find Spain too wheelchair friendly at least the infrastructure the people were great though.....

It's great out there and the warm sun makes you feel better.... enjoy..(y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Can't speak for other places in between but Albufeira in the Algarve is very hilly. Cheap campsite though if your not in your 20s or 30s I would give the new town a miss. The area is kinda dissappointing unless I've just not found it yet.

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
We have adapted our MH 6 metres long to our needs. Sue has had MS for 14 years, there are lots of things to do to make life easier for yourselves. Have a look at the disability section on this forum. Enjoy Spain, we're off to Holland in April with our TGA disability scooter and Ebike.
Never, never, NEVER GIVE UP.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Good attitude..........I was medically retired from the prison service ten years ago. I had numerous operations to try and save my leg, but to no avail, osteomyelitis won the day. I had to have an amputation. During all this upheaval, I had a heart attack, and had to have heart surgery. All I could think about was getting on with life, and dreaming about travelling in the MoHo in the sunshine.
I only thought about the things i COULD do, not what I COULDN"T do. And I could do anything I set my mind to. Sounds like you will do the same. Go for it! Robocop.......:clap2:

Craig

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Reading all this makes me thankful I have been more fortunate, sorry for others less so, and highly impressed by the resilience of their spirit and determination. You certainly have my wholehearted respect.

Many of the places I have seen in northern Spain seem to be quite accessible, and certainly the coastal areas around Lisbon are well provided for in terms of level walkways, cycleways, etc. However, it can get a bit hilly, with cobbled streets, steps, etc, so you have to choose your area. And don't be afraid/too proud to ask for a little help if needed

Don't give up on your ambitions, people will always help out if you are struggling, and everything you are trying is attainable.

Have a great time, go for it

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Sorry I can't help with your questions but others will be along soon too help out on that score. Your positive mental attitude will help you immensely in the future and remember it's the beginning of wonderful adventures, just a bit earlier that you would have liked.

OP
OP
Hel999
Aug 31, 2015
Huddersfield
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt, AS Winchcombe
Exp
since 2013
We have adapted our MH 6 metres long to our needs. Sue has had MS for 14 years, there are lots of things to do to make life easier for yourselves. Have a look at the disability section on this forum. Enjoy Spain, we're off to Holland in April with our TGA disability scooter and Ebike.
Never, never, NEVER GIVE UP.

OOh thankyou, i didnt realise there was a disability section here. That will be my after tea reading this eve then.

Thankyou all for your comments, it helps so much knowing others have achieved so much. Im still learning but am counting down the days and looking forward to our trip now. 2 days to go :sun:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back