Dipped beam solution for RH drive in Europe??? (1 Viewer)

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We have a 2011 RH drive Autotrail Scout. All being well we're off on a long haul trip to Europe early next year and I'm trying to sort all the "stuff&guff". I was told today that some European vehicle manufactures configure their headlight units with 2 lamp sockets; one for LH drive & the other for RH, the lamp (bulb) is plugged into the relevant socket??? Have to say I'm not convinced? Could anyone enlighten me on the subject please, would be muchesslottass appreciated. :confused:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
That's possible and I'm sure there are very experienced funsters who will tell you exactly. The road I went fine was headlight protectors. Basically a shaped piece of hard clear plastic and a place pre marked to stick a supplied black square to alter the beam. The initial thing was that it complied with the law for the continent and it can stay in place all year as it doesn't interrupt the beam for our MOT and the brilliant bonus is that it does its job by protecting the expensive headlights

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
I agree with @EX51SSS - headlight protectors are the way to go! Bought a pair for my first motorhome 7 years ago and they're still going strong on my 2nd one (an Auto-Trail). All I need to set them up for Europe is a couple of minutes, some black insulating tape and a pair of scissors.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I agree with @EX51SSS - headlight protectors are the way to go! Bought a pair for my first motorhome 7 years ago and they're still going strong on my 2nd one (an Auto-Trail). All I need to set them up for Europe is a couple of minutes, some black insulating tape and a pair of scissors.
The protectors I bought came with the correct sized black tape just to stick in place. We've had ours on a similar time as @Bill_OR and are superb. Fit and forget

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Some headlamp units allow you to rotate the bulb in its holder to change the beam characteristics for left- or right-hand drive. I've not heard of or seen any unit with two sockets.

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
AFAIK
Black tape was supposedly outlawed around 4 years ago when clear headlamp deflectors were made compulsory as they do not reduce the output of the reflector
Some manufacturers produce an adjustable headlamp on cars not heard of the same on larger vehicles

I have always used clear deflectors since they were available only thing is some more modern headlamps are acrylic so need to have deflectors mounts on a separate headlamp protector which meant for one of our towcars we had the same headlamp correctors on for 3 years without any problems just removed them as is the law before driving in the UK

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
The headlamp protector is all well and good for standard Fiat cab front ends...

But does anyone know anything about A class arrangements.. like mine.. they are relatively small units - the centre one being "dip" with what looks like a standard H7 type bulb.. the main beam bulb is one I've not seen before - else it's sat behind a magnifying glass arrangement!??...

Cluster...
IMG_2804.JPG

Centre Dip
IMG_2806.JPG

Main beam..
IMG_2807.JPG

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have used Link Removed for a few years .... put them on moho with supplied patch applied when going over channel and remove them when back in UK.(y)

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
AFAIK
Black tape was supposedly outlawed around 4 years ago when clear headlamp deflectors were made compulsory as they do not reduce the output of the reflector

That may well be true but I've always used tape and, in the last 3 years, have twice been stopped roadside for document and vehicle checks. On both occasions the officers have checked my headlights and given their nod of approval.
I think they're happy as long as there's been a reasonable attempt to block out the LH dipped portion of the beam.

Anyway, I consider £9.99+ for those beam deflectors to be a rip-off.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Just go on eBay, stick on universal ones about £4-5 same ones in halfords £8. Job done, Autotrail are standard fiat lights so no complications.. I leave mine on once fitted, no issues with mot either.

OP
OP
bigguspeckus
Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Biggus thanks for your help and comments guys, really is much appreciated. Best regards, James & Angie.(y)

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years

But does anyone know anything about A class arrangements.. like mine.. they are relatively small units - the centre one being "dip" with what looks like a standard H7 type bulb.. the main beam bulb is one I've not seen before - else it's sat behind a magnifying glass arrangement!??...

The full beam is a projector bulb system common on cars now and the full beam is straight not deflected to the nears side as the dipped beam is so deflectors only needed on the dip set of lights

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
I have used Link Removed for a few years .... put them on moho with supplied patch applied when going over channel and remove them when back in UK.(y)
Yes very similar but they are designed to stay in place all the time. Your Moho will pass MOT with them in place

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
AFAIK
Some manufacturers produce an adjustable headlamp on cars not heard of the same on larger vehicles

I have always used clear deflectors since they were available only thing is some more modern headlamps are acrylic so need to have deflectors mounts on a separate headlamp protector which meant for one of our towcars we had the same headlamp correctors on for 3 years without any problems just removed them as is the law before driving in the UK
Possibly supposedly is probably maybe right or not but I've never had a problem with the Gendarmes or Police and MOT. As long as they consider it legal and compliant then it's black block tape on mine. The great advantage is that I put them in place 9 years ago and they're still in place so, up to now it's working out at about £7.00 a year and continuously reducing and the added bonus that they protect the headlight itself from chippings etc.
Horses for courses. Some like the plastic pieces that stick directly onto the headlight. Some like adjusting the headlights for UK/Europe laws and some prefer the protectors (those that can be fitted on of course)

Mar 31, 2014
Stratford-upon-Avon, UK
Funster No
MH
BUCCANEER CARAVEL
Exp
SINCE 1975
Been going to France for about 25 years!never bothered fitting beam deflectors !I hav'nt noticed streams of cars at the ferry or tunnel terminals coming over here with beam deflectors fitted either.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I believe it's important not to dazzle oncoming traffic and that may be possible by simply lowering your dipped beam. Get a pair of beam deflectors to fit if stopped and required to do so. It's most unlikely to happen, but at least you'll be prepared.

TJBi

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2014
Been going to France for about 25 years!never bothered fitting beam deflectors !I hav'nt noticed streams of cars at the ferry or tunnel terminals coming over here with beam deflectors fitted either.
You won't spot me fitting beam deflectors either; I change over the headlamps while waiting for the ferry.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I think you'll find the projector is dip & the plain unit is main. (Hella 80mm lights)

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp

Our car & M/H are LHD, I've never seen beam deflectors on sale for them....I just reduce the height of the dipped beam by a notch or two when we return to the UK...

Deleted User

Ditto

When possible I have lowered the headlamp beam as much as possible.

This year we have a new (to us) PVC and bought a pair of headlamp protectors so as the facility was there I now have legal headlamps on the Continent.

I have also never seen a LHD vehicle in the UK with deflectors, why the fuss when we go over there?

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

Cluster...
View attachment 131744

Centre Dip
View attachment 131745

Main beam..
View attachment 131746
We have a very similar arrangement on the Frankia. We were shown how to change for the continent, open the bonnet and there are 2 screws behind the lamp loosen and rotate the lamp, then retighten.

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
I believe the reason that you will not see LHD vehicles with beam deflectors is because they don't need them!

On the continent, they use a symmetric dip, whereas here in the U.K., we use an asymmetric one, which gives a 'kick up' in the dipped light beam on the extreme left, to light the footpath, or left of the road - good for spotting (and blinding) pedestrians!

The stick-on beam deflectors/black tape merely mask, or deflect the 'kick-up', resulting in a symmetric dip!

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
We have a very similar arrangement on the Frankia. We were shown how to change for the continent, open the bonnet and there are 2 screws behind the lamp loosen and rotate the lamp, then retighten.

I'll have a gander... Although the washer fill and coolant bottle are in front of the right hand side cluster... I had a quick gander a while back to see how easy it would be to change a bulb.. I concluded... Left cluster looks doable with some fiddling... (y) As for the right hand side.. Mmm!.. :( ...

@Neilfg ... Would that be the whole unit - as opposed to the bulb holder? And rotate.. Left? Right? 180 Deg? ... :)

Apr 9, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
@Neilfg ... Would that be the whole unit - as opposed to the bulb holder? And rotate.. Left? Right? 180 Deg? ... :)
Couple of pics, it would be the middle lamp in my case. The second pic shows the view from under the bonnet, there are 3 screws when loosened the lamp holding unit can be turned slightly anti clockwise as far as it will go and then tightened.

Only bothered to do it once, so not sure if 3 or 4 screws.

IMG_20161108_152644.jpg IMG_20161108_153036.jpg IMG_20161108_153036_blowup.jpg

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Couple of pics, it would be the middle lamp in my case. The second pic shows the view from under the bonnet, there are 3 screws when loosened the lamp holding unit can be turned slightly anti clockwise as far as it will go and then tightened.

View attachment 132289 View attachment 132290 View attachment 132292

:gracias:
Edit: Just been and looked... they're the same as yours... I can see the screw and adjustment... but it looks like I can only get at them from under the van.. and with long arms!.. :unsure: and would need to be "stood up" so a pit or ramp required me thinks... :unsure:

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I have also never seen a LHD vehicle in the UK with deflectors, why the fuss when we go over there?

I believe the reason that you will not see LHD vehicles with beam deflectors is because they don't need them!

On the continent, they use a symmetric dip, whereas here in the U.K., we use an asymmetric one, which gives a 'kick up' in the dipped light beam on the extreme left, to light the footpath, or left of the road - good for spotting (and blinding) pedestrians!

The stick-on beam deflectors/black tape merely mask, or deflect the 'kick-up', resulting in a symmetric dip!

Wot he said ! Dip =down ; main beam = up

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our car & M/H are LHD, I've never seen beam deflectors on sale for them.....
I used to sell them, they are actually the same deflector but the instructions on where to fit them was different, a good little earner used to get twice as much for them.:)

If your vehicle is 30 or 40 years old true but now days with LHD headlamps the dip beam kicks up to the right. Most A class vans are fitted with Hella projector lamp both the LHD and RHD versions are adjustable to flat dipping which is acceptable in all countries.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging

View attachment 132289 View attachment 132290 View attachment 132292
That is on the Hella Clasic version it is 3 screws, on the latest type you just move a lever over.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back