Dilemma...high mileage? (1 Viewer)

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
You are wrong there Sedge my darling wife it had 26500 miles on the clock when it went to the dealers.

Yes it would have had far more miles on the clock without work interfering.

15000 miles is absolutely nothing these days on an engine that doesn't even require servicing till its done 20000 miles or two years.

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
15,000 miles is absolutely nothing, that's only 7,500 a year in what is basically a commercial engine/gearbox/chassis designed to do up to 100,000 miles per annum!

The biggest problem with a MH is if it has been standing and doing nothing, that's far worse for a motor vehicle.

Go and have a look. Good luck.

Keith Hart

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Go and have a look at it, and if it suits you start the haggling process by saying "the mileage is a bit excessive don't you think ?" :)

GreenHell

Free Member
Feb 11, 2014
Lancashire Riviera
Funster No
MH
Looking for a new one
Exp
2013-2015
Hi All
We're thinking of upgrading our motor home and have found what we want in our price range. The drawback at the moment is that it's done 15,000 on a 2013 plate. (Rollerteam 746). Part of us really wants to go and look at it properly (it's a long drive away) but then we are thinking just to hold on.
Would really value peoples opinions....please :)(n)

15k is nowt. I'd be more worried that it hasn't been used enough.

But that's the way my mind thinks.

Steveth

Free Member
Mar 29, 2014
Wherever We Are Parked
Funster No
MH
Swift Esprit462 (Freddie)
Exp
Since 2014
Collected Freddie on 16 June 2014 and have 9,312 miles so far. By the time he is a year old we will have travelled around 18,000 with our planned trips. As stated before it's just run in but with very little useage.

OP
OP
celcat

celcat

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Thanks again everyone!

So we might be getting a new (to us) motor home! Biggest problem at the moment is that there are 3 (allegedly!) others interested and we cannot get to see it for another week. Anyway, at least now we are broadening our searches regarding mileage etc. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
I think I did 15000 miles the first year I had mine,bought it 9 months old with 4k on the clock.Think it's now at 39k,bought it to use it not admire it.(y)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
Can't see why they'd want to mislead you - if it's a decent van, most likely to have several interested parties.

My opinion, you need to be quick when buying, we've been pipped at the post a couple of times....

Good vans at fair prices always sell quickly - one of my past times is visiting ebay and adding interesting vans to my watchlist, it's surprising at how fast they sell !

OP
OP
celcat

celcat

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
Can't see why they'd want to mislead you - if it's a decent van, most likely to have several interested parties

Yep, having slept on it I'd agree. It's just that it's through Motorhomedepot so being cautious I guess. If my off duty wasn't so pants we'd be there like a shot :(

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Thanks again everyone!

So we might be getting a new (to us) motor home! Biggest problem at the moment is that there are 3 (allegedly!) others interested and we cannot get to see it for another week. Anyway, at least now we are broadening our searches regarding mileage etc. :)

As already said, best to not fall in love with what your buying, that way its easier to walk away if you cannot get it for your price(y)

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I was unaware that you were dealing with motorhome depot, thought it was a private sale....

I'd probably be a little sceptical too. Since they are agents and cover a geographical area, I suspect they have three viewings across their portfolio, not necessarily the van you're interested in.

Hope it works out for you.

scouse272

Free Member
Nov 15, 2014
golborne
Funster No
MH
swift kontiki 645
Exp
my last works van went to auction at 5 years old,176000 miles and still on original clutch

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Ours is a 2008 ducato 2.3 and has 54,000 on the clock. I have no intention of selling it. I don't consider milage counts for a lot provided the vehicle is serviced regularly and properly. Please don't forget to report back how you get on.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I'd rather have a Motorhome with a higher than average mileage , than one that's been full timed in , only rarely moving. Everything inside it would be well worn.
Our mizar gtl living top class , has 30k on it on a 2006 plate. Once we get round to putting her up for sale.
But Pug , being converted by Ralph, will have a lot more mileage done it him. We plan on keeping him from brand new till we can no longer drive him.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
This obsession with mileage is odd to me as I ran a fleet of trucks and 300000 or 400000 was normal my last transit did 200000 and was still going well when sold.

Last week I visited Travelworld to look at the new Hymer B544s.
Salesman type follows me around asking about my current van which I told him. He then did the full sucking of teeth shock horror routine on me and informed me to sell / trade it in immediately as the minute the mileage reached 60'000 which it will soon it will be totally worthless. If a light commercial is worthless at 60k then there must be a lot of fleet owners crapping themselves because they do that a year.
Needless to say I left soon after, the new B544 was really nice though amazing amount of room for such a tiny van.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back