Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Hi everyone, been to see my daughter today in Hudderfield, where she lives they have had annaloge tv turned switched over to digital. This obviously left her with no tv.
So the next time we visited her we bought her a set top box. Now I've connected it together and did the auto tune, and x amount of channels stored, but when it goes to tv the picture breaks up and says retune/bad signal.
My question is, yippee got there in the end... will I have buy her a new tv that is digital ready? The tv she has now is about 8 years old, and the boxy flat screen type.
Thanks for your patience.
Mike
:Smile:

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
You may have to change the TV Ariel for a digital compatable one.

Pete:Cool:

OP
OP
mikkidee

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Are you lot taking a Saturday afternoon knap?:Sad:
Here I am stuck in Country Baskets car park while her in doors goes shopping, I'm starting to loose the will to live

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

steveclecy

Free Member
Jun 10, 2009
Wirral
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since June 2009
With respect to the Littlest Hobo, there is no such thing as a "digital" aerial - but it does sound like the aerial is not up to the job. It probably wasn't up to the job for analogue, but that was more forgiving of poor signal - snowy picture, ghosting etc.

Try a cheap aerial amplifier. If that doesn't do the job then you may have to call an aerial man in.

Steve

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I agree with Pete. The fact that you were able to identify digital channels when you tuned the box means that they are there to be received but the picture break up points to your daughter's aerial not being good enough or not pointing to the transmitter properly.

Digital signals are a lot less forgiving than analogue.

You shouldn't need a new TV but best have a word with a local aerial installer because a new aerial may well be needed.

EDIT.
Beat me to it Steve.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Mike the Ariel may need tuning /turning slightly :thumb:You may have got a pic on analogue if out but not on digital-sure you have the digi box connected to TV right ?
terry

OP
OP
mikkidee

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Thanks Steve, my daughter lives in a residental school/home so it will be tre carers who have to sort that one out, going by past experience its going to be a lon:Angry:g haul.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Beat me to it Steve.. an aerial is just a lump of metal.. it does not know if the signals it is getting is carrying a digital or analogue driven signal :Smile:

Question though.. Was the old pictures on all channels nice and clear or were there differences with one or more better than others ?

If the latter is the case, the chances are high the received signal is just not strong enough or it may be that a quite old low bandwidth aerial is up there.

An amplifier may well be a quick cure and be fine, but given a new aerial of say, 18 elements, is about £20.00 retail ( £12ish trade ) and a length of new low loss coax even less, I would change the aerial as a first step, and then go with a mast head amp ( ask at the place you buy the aerial from ) if need be, rather than a setback amp which will amplify the noise as well as the signal

OP
OP
mikkidee

mikkidee

Free Member
Aug 1, 2010
Malton,North Yorks
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since June 08
Battery on the phone is running low now. That's another thread for another time HTC hey.
Thanks for all your replys.
Mike:Smile:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Things you can try.
Find or buy a small piece of tv coax cable and plugs, make up a lead from the wall socket to the digital box. The cheap fly leads supplied lose a lot of signal and can easily break up the picture.
Also open the wall plate and check the screws are tight inside, another common problem.
As stated there is no such thing as a digital aerial just that some old analogue aerials don't cover all the tv band used on digital. Correct alignment will make a difference, however if the signal is supplied via a communial or shared aerial there can be other factors.
Good luck.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back