Digital newspaper worth it in Spain ? (1 Viewer)

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Just asking if any of you subscribe to a UK digital newspaper and read it, download it whilst in Spain.
We have the three sim so lots of download available, but what is your experience?
Is it even worth it?
Regards
LC

Deleted User
The Guardian is still free as is the Independent at the moment but shortly going digital only so that may change.

The Independent recently changed format in that there are now lots and lots of pictures on the main page and on slow connections takes far too long to download and then navigate different articles.

Never paid a subscription to any of the others so don't know what they are like.

If you are a member of a local library in the UK, some of them subscribe to this http://library.pressdisplay.com/ lots of newspapers available but not all.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
You can read all the telegraph content everyday, but you'll need to clean your cookies everyday as after a few stories they block you. Some browsers allow you to block cookies for a particular site so you could do that.

Guardian is free, avoid the news pages on a computer though, they are very wet ,so theres a risk of electrocution. Rugby coverage is good though.

The sun was behind a paywall, but that is free now, (they can't give it away)

The mail is still free and great if you are interested in Princess Diana, or like to be told what to get angry about today.

The Times is behind a paywall. I take this but only when they are on offer, like 12 weeks for £12

The BBC......When you are abroad you are directed to the .com version, which judging by the content is run by Ken Livingstone.

For proper stories mostly without the spin, and normally my first port of call in the morning is Reuters,

OP
OP
Lindacarole

Lindacarole

Free Member
Mar 23, 2014
Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby Siesta Van
Exp
Now a year !
Thanks Jim
Very good round up, i will have a go when we are over in March and try reuters first.
The times is doing 12 weeks for 12 pounds now but might leave that as well.
We found the BBC odd last time we were away,
Ta
LC

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I like the way the times is delivered to a tablet. You get an exact replica of the paper, along with all the supplements. You have to be sure you have enough bandwidth for it. If bandwidth is tight, its best to just browse their website, but the experience there is not as good as reading the actual paper on an ipad. I miss the Times when I don't have it, but I wouldn't pay £35 a month for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I subscribe to the Telegraph on line. It's £15.00 a month and I believe it's excellent value. For that I receive the 6 weekly editions and the Sunday edition, complete with all the magazine content etc. I can receive it anywhere in the world with a decent wifi connection. It has minimal ads, and the articles are word for word the same as the print edition. I also don't get ink on my fingers and do not have piles of newsprint to discard each day.
It's the way forward as far as I am concerned, highly recommended.

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
How about the I ? Cut down version of the independent ? Still continuing in print as it has been separated from the Independent and sold. We buy this paper when we are at home but I see it is £ 5.99 a month digitally with a free trial.

To be honest when we are away we tend to just use the BBC website, I can look at the front pages of all the papers in 'The Papers' section on the website, often that is enough for me. I follow some local news feeds for where I live on Twitter and can also often read commentaries in news stories by following paper journalists as they often link to a story they have provided in a paper.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back