Digital magazines - is it the way forward ? (1 Viewer)

Brightspark

Free Member
Dec 27, 2010
Ashbourne, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
June 2010
Are digital magazines the way forward? I'm considering getting a particular motorhome magazine digitally to save on cost, weight & space but are they all they're cracked up to be?

My concerns;
is the monthly download available after the current month
can you store the download in dropbox or icloud or to an sd card
Can you read it off line

Any thoughts & experiences would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
Personally I don't like them! If you want to read online you can probably find all the information for free, but I like to sit down & read a bit here & there in comfort.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I think digital mags are great on an iPad, but archiving is hit and miss and the motorhome ones seem to have the same ratio of adverts to content about 7 to 1 :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
I get MMM since the wife accused me of being a hoarder :Doh:
I use a iPad and have brought some earlier editions that i missed, so all in all a saving in cost and weight and I can look up a article that I like from just one place instead of rummage in around in the loft for that important piece of information that you need,
With the iPad you can zoom in on photos and technical drawings or maps so people with less than perfect eyesight should enjoy the magazine more,

I have decided to go digital on all my mags when there subscription run out
Me a hoarder:ROFLMAO: what ever next:thumb:

Addie

Trader - Motorhome Wifi
Oct 15, 2011
York
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I read pretty much all magazines and news papers on the iPad, it's about the only thing I use it for. The iPad with retina display is noticeable better for reading magazines on I find and the pictures really do come to life and of course you can zoom and often click on links to websites directly rather than having to type them in.

You usually get them on the day of publication, if not before. Practical Motorhome has been a few days late in the past. You can 'download' editions onto your iPad to read offline and you can have the same account on multiple iPads (or iPhones) so you can share one subscription between multiple devices.

However subscribers don't openly give you the option to download the full magazine as a PDF as it would be too easy to re-distribute, you have to read them online using a PC. Actually Exact Edition does allow you to download a PDF - but one page at a time. It is however really easy to take a screenshot and snip and forward bits of interest using something like Skitch, but but of course against T&C's.

If you're talking specifically about MMM and PM magazines they use the following readers, you can sign up and read a 'free sample' of both.

MMM: http://pocketmags.com/viewmagazine.aspx?titleid=666&title=MMM
PM: http://www.exacteditions.com/browse/345/966

Hope that helps.

fatbuddha

Free Member
Mar 6, 2012
Gods Waiting Room
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam T-line 700
Exp
since 2004
I'm moving more and more towards online and download magazines

for some of the things I follow, most of the mags get very repetitive after a period and the only stuff that varies is about new kit etc. I have no idea how many times I've read about "this diet/training plan will give you your best race" in running and triathlon mags which are my main sports these days. so I've ditched them and get the resources online either direct from the publisher, Facebook pages, or links via Twitter and of course forums like this and read stuff that I want to read and not all the guff that surrounds it.

I'm waiting for the day when the Caravan Club gives me an opt out to their monthly mag to an online version - I then don't have to bother reading it all! :roflmto:

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
I have a couple of magazines for the iPad and can only agree with the positive comments of others. They're easy to read and much more convenient for storage. They are straight forward copies of the paper mags but with the ability to expand and link as required.
Once you've bought them they're yours forever. This means you can delete them from your device and download again at a letter date if you wish. When we go away I tend to sort the editions with articles relevant to where I'm going and take just those. If you've hot half a dozen on your device they can begin to take up electronic storage space.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Personally I like Down loaded magazines - you can read what you like when you like you can save / send one page to a mate - you can pass it around exactly as you would a paper copy. It also does not matter where you are when the magazine comes out - you might be on holiday for a month - the mag is still 'delivered' to your laptop.

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
Tinternet naaaah it will never catch on :ROFLMAO:

says someone with 78s, 45s, 8 tracks,tapes,cds's,mp3's,betamax,vhs,etc etc

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I have subscribed to MMM to down load to my iPad, works ok for me but you don't get normal subscriber offers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back