Difference between Solar panel kits

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by GregM, Nov 30, 2009.

1. GregM

GregM Read Only Funster

We plan to get solar panel at some point and I have just been looking at the maplins web site, could someone please explain the difference between

60W Solar Panel Kit for £199
    60W Solar Panel Kit for £430
    60W Solar Motor Home and boat kit for £450

I realise that last of the 3 has all needed to fit to motorhome but does it warrant the extra £250?:Eeek:

Thanks

Greg

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

1st one has the lowest charge rate as it uses an inferior type of crystal and isnt waterproof also cant be roof mounted.

2nd one is fine but very overpriced.....i paid £400 for a 120w panel and £16 for the charge controller off evilbay.

3rd is exactly the same as the 2nd but for the mounting kit and the unnessecary multimeter.

none of these will produce much more than 40w in the uk.

3. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

this link will give you some idea of what each type of panel does....

SOLAR PANELS.

4. dewaltman

dewaltman

solar panel

if you look on e bay you can get an 80 watt solar panel for £180

5. G2EWS

G2EWS Funster

Like all things in life there are solar panels and solar panels!

I would strongly suggest if you want a good one, don't buy from Maplins and don't buy off eBay.

Sorry if that upsets some who have already gone down this route but I thought it better to speak my mind.

Please note that I have no interest in selling solar panels to other motorhomers!

We sell to the UK water industry and a typical 10 watt unit is £124. You must also get a good regulator and we found that some of the best industry standard units were drawing far too much current so our supplier built their own and that sells for £65. We sell lots of these units and have no problem running kit in the middle of nowhere 24/7.

So basically you get what you pay for and if you want my suggestion go to a specific supplier of solar panels and discuss with them. I think we have some members who sell good systems on the forum and hopefully they will come forward if allowed.

Best regards

Chris