Difference between Solar panel kits (1 Viewer)

GregM

Free Member
Nov 2, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
Exp
June 09
We plan to get solar panel at some point and I have just been looking at the maplins web site, could someone please explain the difference between

Link Removed for £199
Link Removedfor £430
Link Removed for £450

I realise that last of the 3 has all needed to fit to motorhome but does it warrant the extra £250?:Eeek:

Thanks

Greg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
1st one has the lowest charge rate as it uses an inferior type of crystal and isnt waterproof also cant be roof mounted.

2nd one is fine but very overpriced.....i paid £400 for a 120w panel and £16 for the charge controller off evilbay.

3rd is exactly the same as the 2nd but for the mounting kit and the unnessecary multimeter.

none of these will produce much more than 40w in the uk.

dewaltman

Free Member
May 19, 2008
south wales
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
5 years , tugging for 27 years
solar panel

if you look on e bay you can get an 80 watt solar panel for £180

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Like all things in life there are solar panels and solar panels!

I would strongly suggest if you want a good one, don't buy from Maplins and don't buy off eBay.

Sorry if that upsets some who have already gone down this route but I thought it better to speak my mind.

Please note that I have no interest in selling solar panels to other motorhomers!

We sell to the UK water industry and a typical 10 watt unit is £124. You must also get a good regulator and we found that some of the best industry standard units were drawing far too much current so our supplier built their own and that sells for £65. We sell lots of these units and have no problem running kit in the middle of nowhere 24/7.

So basically you get what you pay for and if you want my suggestion go to a specific supplier of solar panels and discuss with them. I think we have some members who sell good systems on the forum and hopefully they will come forward if allowed.

Best regards

Chris

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back