Difference between france and uk campsites (1 Viewer)

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
It's amazing the difference between the french and UK campsites. Here we are finally in a very full campsite in Canterbury and Friday and Saturday spent in an empty campsite in France??

Why the amazing difference I ask. It's £28 a night here in. france.€10 a night in a lovely campsites next to amazing lakes and gorgeous views.

Walkable to town.

We have no views here in canterbury both have hot showers and loo,s, free gratuit.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
My mum and dad have just got back from 3 weeks in France. They have been several times over the years .
Now , they are not short of a bob or ten:ROFLMAO: but even they said how expensive it is over there nowadays .
Not just the restaurants , but the supermarkets and general clothes and shoe shops. For eg they had a small pizza each and 1/2 a carafe of wine between them and it was over 35 euros .
Both said that the food on offer in the supermarkets and local shops was good but so much more than Asda , Morrisons and the local shops here. They wondered how the people on low/fixed incomes managed out there.
Maybe people who usually go , are staying in GB this year ?

carl65

Free Member
Jul 20, 2009
North Shields Tyne & Wear
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Never been to french camp sites but will in very near future, looking at some of the websites for them they look great but as usual euro spoils it, but for how much longer !!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
I wonder if the sites in France have less campers due to the French catering much more for travellers with all the free Aires and municipal sites even the large supermarkets allow oververnighting but in the UK there is only the campsites n wildcamping available ....

OP
OP
Welsh girl

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We found eating out very expensive but the supermarkets we found to be on a par with supermarkets here in Britain.
Clothes very expensive sometimes prohibitive, even a T shirt starting at €20.

Although the markets seemed ok, I rushed to buy 3 tops same style different colour, been reduced to €13 half price only to find they were that price in thec market and I could have had my choice of styles, oh well SA la vie, if that's how its pronounced?

Perhaps as you say that's why the general day to day living is expensive?

I heard there are 300.00 less visitors to Ireland, perhaps its the same there?, although the cost of getting to France is less expensive than getting to Ireland?

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
It's amazing the difference between the french and UK campsites. Here we are finally in a very full campsite in Canterbury and Friday and Saturday spent in an empty campsite in France??

Why the amazing difference I ask. It's £28 a night here in. france.€10 a night in a lovely campsites next to amazing lakes and gorgeous views.

Walkable to town.

We have no views here in canterbury both have hot showers and loo,s, free gratuit.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Its simple. You live in RIPOFF Britain.

Doug...

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Supermarkets aren't cheap here in France but the food, I've found, is far better quality than the UK. I spent the winter in Scotland (seemed a good idea at the time:winky:) and was shocked at the poor quality of the food in the supermarkets. Where I was local markets didn't seem to exist.
I'm just back from my local village market, held every Monday. For €14 or therabouts I've bought nectarines, peaches, apricots, local farm made goats cheeses, A whole string of garlic, onions, carrots, cucumbers and courgettes (Organic, grown in the sellers garden) and a bag of the most beautiful cherries imaginable (and they are mine--visitors hands off!!) oh and a melon.
The egg seller had already sold out by the time I got there :-( but add a dozen eggs, a bit more cheese, pasta, potatoes and bread I make myself and that's me fed for almost a week.

Can't say i eat out much as that's not easy, being a veggie.

Attachments

• 100_2808.jpg
    100_2808.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 34

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It's £28 a night here in. france.€10 a night in a lovely campsites next to amazing lakes and gorgeous views.

Masses of campsites in France, many subsidised by the towns, not enough in UK. Supply and demand.

You can easily pay €60 and more over there next month. Big demand time.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Booked to stay at LeVieux Port in August at circa £70 per night, so cant say I agree with you.

Last year went to camping holiday marina in Port Grimaud, and ended up paying over £100 a night.

Eating out is very expensive in France, as is shopping generally but I agree withe everyone else re quality the food does taste better.

Wine is very expensive nowadays and I aslo wonder how on earth do peopel with low incomes survive in France.

Eddie

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
We have just come back from France and also found meals our and drinks very expensive.
We only had one meal out and I had Moules and frites, Bob had breaded fish 7 chips and a small bottle of water (which was 4 euros, water only) and the whole lot came to 24 euros, which was not too bad, but other restaurants were very expensive.
if you shop at Lidl or Aldi we always buy our booze from there, Rose Zinfandel less than 2 euros a bottle, you would pay £4.99 in UK and small cans of beer 22 cents, in a restaurant it is 4 euros.

We only go for the free aires and sunshine!!

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
We had 3 weeks in France in May. As Hilldweller says, as you get into main season the main campsite fees rocket. We looked at one municipal site when we were there and it came to 22 Euros out of season, when we could stay at the aire in the same town for 5 euros (no facilities, just parking). During our stay we used ASCI sites and saved a lot each night even on the sites standard low season rate.

Meals out were more expensive than our last visit five years ago, but the percentage increase was not as much as the meat and wine prices in supermarkets, as has been said we though it more expensive than over here for most foods especially meats. One thing we did agree on was although it was pricey, the quality of the meat and the presentation especially in the local butchers was outstanding.

Top marks to a restaurant within sight of the palace at Fontenbleu - 15 Euros for a 3 course plat de jour, with the best beef I had all holiday.

That was something else we noticed, five years ago cheap meals out were themselves good, this time some of the meat was a bit ropey, and made the presentations at our local food pubs seem quite appetizing.

Having said that, we did not eat out that much, the weather was so good the barbie and salads were hammered.

Now, those site fees compared with the UK. You must compare like with like, but out of season fee's in France on a campsite are much lower than in the UK in my opinion. Thank goodness for CL's in the UK is all I say, for I think our out of season fee's are astronomical. This does not seem to be putting people off though - we stayed at a very cold Moreton in Marsh CC site early in the year, midweek, and it was 3/4 full, with people coming and going all the time (the price you pay for a decent sized hot shower in winter without squeezing into the MH one).

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I spose, same population, much bigger area, so prolly more campsites per head and if not in a partic touristique area, or not ....

Mr VanBitz, not sure if you are actually complaining or just making the statement that, 'On the most expensive bit of coastline in France, the prices are the most expensive in France' - cos TBH I think I knew that? LOL

OTOH we stayed on the 'free! - aire at Greoux les Mines on our way back North from the S Coast last year, where we were told by a very helpful French lady also staying there you can drive to Greoux station, jump on the SNCF to Marseilles, get on the Metro to Le Vieux Port for a mooch and a look then either get on Le Petit Train that goes along the roads and gives a tourist commentary in various languages including English telling you what you are looking at etc, or jump on an eg glass-bottomed boat and go to Cassis which is utterly picturesque and gorgeous, but built in such a way that you can't get a motorhome anywhere near the bay, and if you park at the top of the hill and walk down then it will be like the north face of the Eiger coming back up. Or indeed both. Dunno what the fares are of course, but I really wouldn't mind doing that cos driving through Marseilles was a nightmare as they are building new road and we very nearly got filtered into a 2.4m tunnel with a 3.05m mororhome, good job I can still shout louder than Tom !!

bambi 2

Free Member
Jun 7, 2009
france, (Aveyron)
Funster No
MH
A class.
Exp
26 years
hi
My mum and dad have just got back from 3 weeks in France. They have been several times over the years .
Now , they are not short of a bob or ten:ROFLMAO: but even they said how expensive it is over there nowadays .
Not just the restaurants , but the supermarkets and general clothes and shoe shops. For eg they had a small pizza each and 1/2 a carafe of wine between them and it was over 35 euros .
Both said that the food on offer in the supermarkets and local shops was good but so much more than Asda , Morrisons and the local shops here. They wondered how the people on low/fixed incomes managed out there.
Maybe people who usually go , are staying in GB this year ?
Hi! you ask about how people like us who live in france on our pensions manage, well! we have promotions in the post every week and we select the best buys from them, we also shop at Aldi, Nettos, we buy the eco plus lines from e'leclerc, we have Intermarche and Hyper U supermarkets and the local market, there are a lot of restaurants in the town and our last meal at one of them 2 weeks ago cost €6.5 we had pate starter, roast lamb with green beans and apple tart, a beer was €1.5, very good value!! we also like the Les Routiers restaurants at around €12 for 5 courses and wine and coffee, we do not pay high council tax, we don't pay road tax, MOT every 2 years and the health service is much better than the U.Ks is, our fuel is usually cheaper and so is wine and so we feel we are better off living here ::bigsmile: we also only use Aires when travelling. Bambi 2

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
we are currently to ing and frowing to
Vaux sur Mer near Royan whilst I am working and the camp site we use is 28 euros a night with leccy very clean site, swimming pool everything you need, close to village for bread etc last week it was a bank holiday the site was really busy, but by monday lunch it was a ghost site the food is really nice we shop in HyperU or Hyper marche and Eclerc the choice is vast.The local market also gas much to offer:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:I know where I would rather be

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
The main reason is very simple.

99.999% of all French campers use camp sites between the first week end in July and the last weekend in August. That's why man French caravans and motorhomes have only basic cooking facilities as most prefer to cook outside.

Apart from that it's only us foreigners that use them.

Those intrepid French campers that do venture out off season either use Aires (if motorhomers or the cheaper sites used mainly by the French.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back