slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
Hi
Reading this months MMM magazine and there's an interesting article about running you diesel on vegetable oil mainly new oil. Has anyone out there got this? they got it from a company Link Removed.

I am seriously looking into to this cos i only get about 10-14 miles per gallon

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
There was a piece on the today show this evening. The machine that refines the fat costs about £2500. The problem was finding good quality oil as more and more turn to using it, A a few vehicles cannot run on it and some manufacturers were saying that its use voids any warranties. Oh and it stinks of chips, but apart from that it was a positive piece and the savings were massive.

OP
OP
slickmouse

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
The system i'm talking about uses new veg oil from the market, it has to be pre heated so when the engine starts it starts on diesel the when warm enough the veg oil kicks in and you switch off it purges the veg oil from the system. Cost should be about £400 - £500 depends on a few things.

I have written to a couple of companies asking what would be the best DIY kit to fit my engine (8250cc)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I run on SVO (Straight vegetable oil), where's me fish and chips, smells lovely.
Before going down this route read all you can, find out about diesel bug what is it what does it do, how can you prevent it, find out about which fuel pumps can handle it. Some cannot. So beware. Some engines can run without mods, others need some changes to injectors etc. Some can run on a single tank system, others need two tanks and changeover gubbins. Currently veggie oil is dearer than diesel down here though buying in 20ltre drums may save you a couple of quid, there are many pitfalls to using old chip fat, it has animal fats in it and water. You will need some form of fuel heater, although I use 50/50 mix without a heater. but onlt in the summer. See here
Straight vegetable oil as diesel fuel: Journey to Forever
and here
http://www.elsbett.de/forms/ekit
these two sites should help you decide. /the German site sell kits but also have great vehicle database.
A DIY 2 tank system around £175 below
Vegetable Oil Two Tank Conversion - Biomass
The reason it has to be heated is to reduce the viscocity of the SVO, when it is the same as diesel it is fine. Read all you can from the above three sites.
Good luck

Last edited:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I have looked into this a few time and i watched the one show and they all seem to be purporting really low prices (15p/Litre in some cases) but from what i have looked into most people who have any used oil e.g. fish shops etc know what people are doing with it and have started to charge for the used oil a lot more than 15p and that's before you refine it for use and as "Wildman" stated Currently veggie oil is dearer than diesel down here though buying in 20ltre drums may save you a couple of quid, which is the same where I live.

Taking the above into account and the possible problems or the up-front costs of the equipment to make straight veg oil usable in the winter (all year round) I really wonder if the bubble has already burst on this alternative route for cheap fuel ? albeit I did see already refined Bio Diesel at a farm near hear for £1.10p/litre which is currently 6p cheaper than i can buy the normal diesel for with my ASDA credit card at our local ASDA garage, the only problem is that not all vehicles as has already been said can use it ?

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I have been operating on svo and bio in various mixes for a couple of yaers now in various vehicles , in that time the price has been going up and up . The svo is now not far short of dino diesel, and there are usability issues with regard to components in vehicles esp prior to around 1995 vintage. In view of problems with getting a supply when travelling of a good quality standard of bio its marginal as to the economic viability , as soon as you get a bad batch it can soon use up all the savings you have made. Some engines dont like svo , esp the glycerine content, can lead to ring gumming etc. Winter usage brings its own set of probs. You need to research it very carefully esp the financial aspects, as they are marginal , its more an eco thing now, and that debate is also up and running. JMHO :Smile:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I have been operating on svo and bio in various mixes for a couple of yaers now in various vehicles , in that time the price has been going up and up . The svo is now not far short of dino diesel, and there are usability issues with regard to components in vehicles esp prior to around 1995 vintage. In view of problems with getting a supply when travelling of a good quality standard of bio its marginal as to the economic viability , as soon as you get a bad batch it can soon use up all the savings you have made. Some engines dont like svo , esp the glycerine content, can lead to ring gumming etc. Winter usage brings its own set of probs. You need to research it very carefully esp the financial aspects, as they are marginal , its more an eco thing now, and that debate is also up and running. JMHO :Smile:

Straight vegetable oil is exactly that, it does not contain Glycerine, you are I think confusing it with Bio diesel, they are not the same thing. Or am I missing something.

OP
OP
slickmouse

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
Hi

Yes i want to run it on straight veg oil, i just bought an item on ebay from the USA which i will pick up when i am there in November as i was to tight to pay the shippping to the UK, hope they dont rob it from my case like they did with my Six shock absorbers a while ago...pressurised containers my arse:Angry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back