wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
I know about the likes of WOW tuning and others that tune the engine ECU itself.

But what about the makers/sellers of add-on (and therefore removable) tuning boxes. Does anyone have any experience?

I'm thinking of these people specifically.... http://www.diesel-performance.co.uk/

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Shouldn't really comment as I have no knowledge of the product...

BUT...

...whilst I know spelling doesn't matter on our Funster site (and nor should it IMO)... when it comes to a commercial operation I feel differently.

A company's website represents that company.

I worry that if not enough care has been taken on what is often the first experience one has of the company... what sort of care has it taken on its products?

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Hi

See you have a transit.

Get yourself over to http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=5 where they have transit experts and a highly recommended tuner vantuner.co.uk

Suggest you ask there - but VanTuner is always recomended...

Thanks. I'm a regular on the Transit forum and I have a quote from VanTuner, both to visit their premises, and also to remove the ECU myself.

BUT, I'm interested in reports from anyone who has gone down the ADD-ON unit route as per my O/P

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Have a look at energy tuning .co.uk.
Have one fitted to my Fiat .Works well you can choose economy, more torque, more BHP, or a combination including off. Takes 2 min to fit, or remove ,but ony works with turbo engines.:thumb:

OP
OP
wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Shouldn't really comment as I have no knowledge of the product...

BUT...

...whilst I know spelling doesn't matter on our Funster site (and nor should it IMO)... when it comes to a commercial operation I feel differently.

A company's website represents that company.

I worry that if not enough care has been taken on what is often the first experience one has of the company... what sort of care has it taken on its products?

JJ :Cool:

Yes.............and ....................err

Websites are invariably produced by commercial companies, rather than the company themselves. Therefore a spotty oik fresh out of some Academy somewhere has been tasked with producing a website, and we all know how good spotty oiks are at spelling..............................:winky:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We used Torquing of Cats before WOW and would happily recommend them to anyone

OP
OP
wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Have a look at energy tuning .co.uk.
Have one fitted to my Fiat .Works well you can choose economy, more torque, more BHP, or a combination including off. Takes 2 min to fit, or remove ,but ony works with turbo engines.:thumb:

Had a look, and yes, they're cheaper. But are they better?

So, once again.......has anyone had any experience of these add-on modules.

Your replies are appreciated, thanks

Geoffers

Free Member
May 13, 2011
Groby Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Had a look, and yes, they're cheaper. But are they better?

So, once again.......has anyone had any experience of these add-on modules.

Your replies are appreciated, thanks

As I said it do's what it says on the box. As I recall you can return for a refund if you are not happy.:Smile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi
with the rumour mill spouting about MoT testing and ECU mods being a future fail Item.(Dont panic it aint happening any time soon)
I have been researching the bolt on and take off at will varieties
For obvious reasons
1 Should it ever come in that ecu mods will be a failure, then to be able to simply remove a black box will be a way around this problem for the MoT test

2. There not cheap these ecu or black box tune up kits and the benefit of being able to remove and transplant to your next vehicle seems to me, to speak for its self

After talks with a major Fiat dealer and motorhome repair centre I have concluded that the TuneIt box is the way we are going, So much so, we have become an official fitting agent for their product, I will not say one method is better than the other but both systems appear to get good results in the better driving and better torque departments, better MPG? only the owners can really answer that one
Geo

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
As i have a foot in two camps (again), with MH's and landrovers, I can give you some info gleaned from that area. Landrover owners like more power::bigsmile:, how they get it varies, and yes, there are piggy back boxes available for them as there are MH's.

The older models, can just have the injector tweeked, a trial and error way of doing it, that will produce more boost and a littel more smoke.

Later models, with ECU's, can have the ECU remapped, which alters what the ECU tells the injectors to do under different conditions, this is called "flash" reprogramming. Some ECU's cant be done this way, and therefore have a "box" attached which does similar to remapping, and can be removed.

SOME of the problems arise when engines are "tuned" to perform outside of the parameters that they were possibly designed to, remember, all engines leave the factory in a "compromise" state of tune, to encompass all of the countries they may be used in.
Without going into a long and boring post (to many), simply put, and as far as i understand it (not an engine tuner), diesel needs to be cool to produce correct power, (hence intercoolers) some "tuning" just increases combustion temperatures, this on some landrovers, causes the exhaust manifold to warp and rip the studs out. this has resulted in ceramic coated manifolds being invented.
MY OPINION, based on a few years messing with landies, is to go back to basics. If you increase the fuel going in, you need to help it get out,...if you have MORE fuel going in...you need a bigger intercooler to cool it, you need to be absolutly certain, that the pistons etc can withstand the changed temperatures and stresses you are asking it to work to, and last but no means least, you need to ask yourself WHY, and be prepared to advise your insurance company.
two companies being trusted for advice and installations are TD5ALIVE, and Jeremy Fearn. Hope this is of some help.

Just as a further piece of advice, despite being surrounded by landy enthusiast's tunig ntheir motors for years, I resisted. I removed the EGR system (blows exhaust back into the inlet), replaced the first silencer with a straight through pipe, and fitted a K&N filter. It increased the whooosh, and i dragged a caravan all the way down to spain last year, at (ahem) exactly on the speed limit

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back