Diesel shelf life (1 Viewer)

Nov 8, 2010
France 86
Funster No
MH
Chausson Allegro
Exp
Since 2010
I have a 10 ltr 'can' of diesel stored in the beenybox which I thought would be a good idea in case of an emergency when we went on our journey to France earlier in the year. Needless to say we didn't need it, so I'm wondering if I leave it for any length of time will it 'go off' or can I keep it indefinately for future use? :Confused:

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Been running my tractors and John Deere grass cutter on 25 year old vintage red, no probs!

Peter

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
hi it will go off after a while but you will know when this happens due to a change in smell.
although it will last considerably longer than petrol.

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
I usually have 10 litres on board for emergencies - all I do is once or twice a year put it in the tank when I am going to fill up and refill the can at the same time - as far as I know yes diesel will deteriorate in the atmosphere but sealed in a can should last a long time BUT there is a difference between summer and winter diesel - they have different additives to stop waxing in the winter this generally gets put in as about October time and is removed around easter - then other additives to control the cetane ( as octane in petrol) level are added.

Oct 5, 2009
anglesey
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
since 1999
must be kept in sealed container if exposed to atmosphere will absorb moisture over a period of time even if indoors similar to brake fluid

as peter says we have kept red diesel for years with no ill effect

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi, modern diesel (EN590) has a biofuel content of up to 7%. Peter's old red diesel has a good shelf life as it is pure mineral oil although water/condensation might be an issue. However, I would not recommend keeping modern diesel for a year or so - over the winter is ok- since the bio content will absorb water and e dreaded bacterial infection sets in, resulting in very smelly black gunge and subsequent filter blockage issues. To be prudent, a bit of stock rotation is recommended as a precaution.

By the way, I have a meeting in Hamburg next Friday with one of our German colleagues where we (both keen sailors) have launched a "yacht service" aimed at people who want a quick check of various points (it involves NDT as well as lube and fuel analysis for exactly the above) to help avoid spring time breakdowns. It is a common problem in the marine environment (which is why biofuels are prohibited in big ship marine fuels except in "de minimis" quantities) and another service we provide which will probably be rolled out across Europe/USA Not a plug or advertisement as I have not named the company....:Smile: - just to highlight that it is a real problem.

Sorry Peter, unable to check your 160 foot mega yacht yet........ Wasn't it in Plymouth the other day just been launched? :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back