Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Ilfracombe
Funster No
MH
Looking to Buy
Exp
Budget won't run to the Tardis ;)

Great idea, perhaps a whip round might extend he4lp our budget lol..Brilliant, love the forward thinking..::bigsmile:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Thanks so much for the positive info, that's exactly what I need, I'm afraid it appears that folk are daunted at something different and possibly challenging...
I think you have misinterpreted people's attempts to give advice as criticism. You are not the first person to want to cross the Atlantic to buy an RV or want to leave the UK and live in it. It is a fairly well trodden path but it is a path which has traps. Apparently at least one person has bankrupted themselves buying an RV they couldn't make European legal.

However, you seem to have a clear vision of what you want so go for it. I genuinely wish you luck although from my experience of campsites in France, many of which are closing, it is a difficult market unless you have the money to invest. The trend in France now is to replace touring pitches with static plastic sheds or chalets. May well be different in Portugal, no doubt.

Good luck whatever you do and it may well be that where and what you finish with is very different to what you intended at the outset, but that's the whole point of the journey.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Buying and shipping an RV home from USA is easy just follow a simple set of rules.

Why would anyone pay the ridiculous inflated prices asked in the UK for a RV even Travelworld struggle to sell them nowadays he's gone European.

I spent 3 years on and off travelling North America in a RV, we paid £40k for a 6 month old RV and 3 month old Jeep. The price of the equivalent at the time in the UK was £100k plus. Now I'm no genius but I know it doesn't cost £60k to ship and convert. In 2011 I helped a friend from the UK go over to the states and buy a massive 5th wheel which he sited by a lake here in the UK. Based on UK prices the 5th wheel we bought should have cost £45k plus actual cost £24k including shipping and haulage to his site in Cirencester.

If you're prepared to get off your ass and do some research get on a plane and haggle you can save a fortune. Far to many people are put off by all the rumour mongers and instead pay the dealers inflated prices. As I said earlier you'll buy a lot more for your money outside UK

As for the registering and insurance I think you may end up having to do that here but not totally sure.

Good luck with your plans if you want to do it you can, I rode a m/bike to MT Everest Base Camp 3 years ago, everyone said that couldn't be done :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
D

det247uk

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Ilfracombe
Funster No
MH
Looking to Buy
Exp
Thanks & thanks Again..

Now there speaks a man whos' done it and I totally agree with your sentiment..Well bloody done..Movers & shakers eh..Brilliant ;)
I just could't believe some of the comments I was reading, just made me wanna get the **** outta here even faster..No wonder the country has gone to the dogs!!!!

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Well I'm not sure what comments on this thread would lead you to want to leave the uk post haste...from what I've seen you've been given nothing but help and advice.

Jun 18, 2008
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since June 2008
Now there speaks a man whos' done it and I totally agree with your sentiment..Well bloody done..Movers & shakers eh..Brilliant ;)
I just could't believe some of the comments I was reading, just made me wanna get the **** outta here even faster..No wonder the country has gone to the dogs!!!!

WOW! Join a forum to ask for advice and then moan about the advice because you don't like it ....... :whatthe:

OP
OP
D

det247uk

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Ilfracombe
Funster No
MH
Looking to Buy
Exp
Advice !!!

The only people moaning are the negative ones that are thinking nothing more than trying to load their own inadaquacies & doubts on others who dare to be different & are not worried about facing some difficulties in a different form.
Lets face it, which ever path we choose its loaded with problems, so, lets not dwell on what we can't do & lets fill our boots with something not quite so safe eh? Get out there & live a little ay ;)

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Any vehicle purchased abroad and imported to this country, now needs Individual Vehicle Approval. This is not difficult on any vehicle that is produced in any numbers, because the manufacturers make and submit one for testing, and all those that follow which are the same are approved by default. However as the Americans have no interest in undergoing such modifications you have to do them yourself before it can be registered in this country. See ......

Broken Link Removed

Signature RV would be worth ringing for a chat.....

http://www.signaturemotorhomes.com/rv

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its sounding like we have one who thinks they know everything but in reality know very little. accusing others of being inadequate for daring to tell them the very real pitfalls is bordering on Rule 1

If you don't want free advice from people who have done what you hope to do and others who have tried but hit the wall that is EU laws and bureaucracy then don't ask questions. you are free to try and beat the system and waste your money. you're nowhere near the first to try what you're suggesting and surely wont be the last.

read up on import duties and vehicle testing and while you're at it check the EU rules and those of member states regarding entry of a vehicle not registered and legal in another EU country. while you're into this reading read the laws regarding having to insure motor-vehicles and the need for them to be registered to an EU address

i am not saying it cant all be done....of course it can and has been done for many years but following the necessary laws etc.

ultimately you cant help some people as they are not prepared to listen. go enjoy the process and the journey, but when things go wrong and cost more than you planned remember you got the right advice here

i wish everyone had the spirit of adventure to uproot their lifestyle and go where ever the mood takes them. there are several members on here that have done exactly that and fed their need to travel unhindered

as for buying a piece of land and starting your own campsite, well lets just say you're going to need deep pockets and a liking for filling forms and complying with all manner of rules. i know a couple of people nearly bankrupted and mentally exhausted by their attempts. equally there are others that were successful but its probably not the idyllic rural lifestyle you're hoping for

not being pessimistic in any way,,,,just advising you to do a lot of research and listen to advice given before plowing on regardless. do it right first time and its as simple as you want and the freedom of the open road and no ties gets addictive

Jan 19, 2012
Leicester
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012

Having read this thread with interest, I suspect the streets will not be lined with Funsters urging you to change your mind...

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
so lets clear things up a bit, No one is suggesting importing an RV is wrong. It really is only a matter of where you import it to and does that country allow anything over 3.3500kgs let alone a humongous RV. Assuming they do is there somewhere in that country that you can source the bits required and expertise available to convert said vehicle to EU standards. you are currently a UK resident, unless you change your status to bongo bongo resident or wherever then you will only be able to register and insure/make road legal in the UK. Here at least it is acceptable and apart from checking sizes can be done.Why not buy a cheap UK reg van go to Portugal buy your land and complete residency paperwork, (Not sure if foreign Nationals can actually own property there but easy enough to check). Then once the paperwork is done and you find a converter to carry out the work shoot off to Canada and buy your DPusher, import (as a resident) into Portugal and get it converted. Job done. We do have members in Portugal who may feel able to help, then again they may not it all depends on your attitude which at the moment is really not conducive to anyone wanting to help. A gung ho attitude is fine for many things but not when a lot of money is involved and foreign government legislation is likely to be a problem.
People here have given sound advice based on past experience and knowledge built up over many years of watching other people making mistakes and indeed coming to grief themselves. they are not crapping on your parade they are trying to point you in the right direction as they know the pitfalls and its obvious from your replies that you don't really have a clue or if you do then you are hiding it very well. I know you are in my home town and usually get to know new members that are local, but so far you have not even given us your name. Mine is in my signature in case you had not noticed. (Oops it isn't any more, its Roger by the way) I do happen to have a campsite and a large engineering workshop that has helped many funsters out in the past free of charge. Don't think I'm touting for business, I'm not I have retired.

Last edited:

rv pusher

Free Member
Dec 18, 2013
isle of man
Funster No
MH
rv
Exp
The only people moaning are the negative ones that are thinking nothing more than trying to load their own inadaquacies & doubts on others who dare to be different & are not worried about facing some difficulties in a different form.
Lets face it, which ever path we choose its loaded with problems, so, lets not dwell on what we can't do & lets fill our boots with something not quite so safe eh? Get out there & live a little ay ;)

I have to agree with you a lot of negative replies,
I did what you are wanting to do over 10years ago
when to the states bought a rv stayed over there for 12 months
fetched it back to the uk personal import no vat and no duty fees as I had been out of the uk for more than 12 months.
had a good 12 month holiday on the money saved,
plus sold it 18 months later 15000 pounds more than I paid for it win all-round

Frentchy

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Bordeaux France
Funster No
MH
Elnagh Baron Profiie
Exp
since late seventies

as for buying a piece of land and starting your own campsite, well lets just say you're going to need deep pockets and a liking for filling forms and complying with all manner of rules. i know a couple of people nearly bankrupted and mentally exhausted by their attempts. equally there are others that were successful but its probably not the idyllic rural lifestyle you're hoping for

not being pessimistic in any way,,,,just advising you to do a lot of research and listen to advice given before plowing on regardless. do it right first time and its as simple as you want and the freedom of the open road and no ties gets addictive Yesterday 22:49

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:thumb:I cant knock your dream Det 247uk, We did it in 1980, toured Europe for 2yrs with my family, chose where we are now, started a small building business,got grandchildren,done stuff, sorted paper work out (not easey)
My son has come up with a proposition from the locale Marie to take over and res-erect the area campsite.( that's me not getting away after Christmas):cry: Three things helped a lot. I had my family with me(no homesick problems),-Im a builder(find work anywhere)- Attitude (yours isn't exactly user friendly) specialy if you want help/advice from the Latin parts of Europe)
Originally Posted by det247uk Link Removed
I just could't believe some of the comments I was reading, just made me wanna get the **** outta here even faster..No wonder the country has gone to the dogs!!!!:Eeek:
My Advice. Chill a bit:Cool:Do as much paper work -research. These Guys n Galls on this forum and RVOC are a ready to hand and helpful Encyclopedia
that wouldn't want you and yours going off half cocked.:coolthumb:

Last edited:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Det247uk
Here's a little tip for you if you decide to buy in the USA.

Set up a limited company in Montana and buy your RV through the company that way you'll avoid paying purchase tax as Montana is zero rated. We did this, the set up cost approx. $450 and we saved approx. $8500 on car and RV.

This is the company we used they were superb and are used to dealing with non USA citizens.
http://www.taxfreerv.com/#prettyPhoto

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back