Diesel Particulate Filter

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Viennese, Apr 1, 2014.

1. Viennese

Viennese Funster

• Like Like x 2
  2. Wildbill

Wildbill Funster

not sur but is that not the same as ad blue the stuff the trucks use only you get two gallons for £18 and 16 for a small can for a car
    I may be wrong
    edit I am wrong totally:Doh:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  3. wasp

wasp Funster

Is it right you have to have them on your diesel vehicle for the MoT if it is over 5 years old:Sad:

4. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I am naturally suspicious of these sort of claims from manufacturers and would need some independent tests first.
    AdBlue which Bill mentions is designed to reduce nitrous oxides not particulates.

Giving the throttle some "welly" from time to time seems the best thing you can do although there are companies who services to clean DPFs but I have no experience of them.

5. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

dpf filter.jpg

Interesting subject, look at the screen shot attached and an advert to have it removed.

6. paulmold

paulmold Read Only Funster

Not true - new MOT rules are that if vehicle was fitted with a DPF originally then it must have one at MOT. Same rule applies to CATS

• Like Like x 1
  7. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Do I have one ?

8. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Having had experience of a vw crafter I have heard lots of horror stories of the DPF. There are plenty of stories of these vans having DPF problems.. And one thing stands out above everything else... The vans were used for short journeys... This prevents the DPF from regenerating... (this process involves diesel being injected into the DPF and burning off the diesel particles.)
    I can't imagine the DPF on a motorhome would have too many probs as most journeys wouldn't be short.

9. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

DPF

At 5,000 miles our DPF light came on we had just left the motorway around 70 mph for an hour or so.

We limped to Fiat garage spent all day in the waiting room a new sensor was fitted then they ran the engine at full rpm for 30 mins clouds of soot and smoke but they assured us this was what is best for the enviroment.

I must admit I have my doubts :Eeek:

10. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

And has anyone done tests on the chemicals used to do this and what they become after going though the engine:Eeek:

11. Viennese

Viennese Funster

What I find interesting is that lots of diesel vans are used for urban deliveries, so essentially short journeys. How do they cope with this particular problem, anyone know?

12. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Forte a well known and trusted brand has a particulate filter cleaner add to the fuel and use as normal works well
    We use Forte treatments on a daily basis here at the Garage and can measure the differances made on our equipment I have no reason to suspect the particulate cleaner is any different
    we use it when a fault lamp appears and it seems to do the trick, we have had no complaints or returns in over two years of using it
    Not available at retail shops it can be bought form local garages that are Forte users
    I have been known to bring Forte to shows for members given enough notice
    G

• Like Like x 2
  13. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

Arrrrrrrrrrrr that explains why that sometimes we turn off the engine on our VW T5 and then have a burning smell, only happens occasionally

14. Phill D

Phill D

the use of the correct and a quality oil including the cleanliness of your oil is paramount; as is regular runs at motorway speeds for regeneration to be effective.

once the oil starts to breakdown past a certain point then blocking of the particulate filter is accelerated.

if you have a faulty DPF sensor then it will not tell the engine management system to regenerate therefore you will get blocking and the need for a manual clean.

the manual clean should be done by plugging an appropriate program into the ECU and it will adjust revs etc until the sensor indicates its clear. if an appropriate ECU program is not used, just full revs then thats complete guess work and not ideal.
    modern engines are not designed to run at high revs at standstill for lengthy periods.

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

at present, the rules state the dpf must be present at mot.....it doesnt state it must be functional.
    You could smash out the interior honeycombe and it will still pass.

As for cleaning....on all vehicles the engine ECU will take care of that automatically when the conditions are correct.
    A high mileage vehicle may need a replacement every year or less if it didnt self clean and at £600/£700 a time that wouldnt do the manufacturers anyf avours.

It does this by injecting excess fuel causing the dpf to reach a temperature in excess of 700°C thus burning off any soot.
    This is generally at motorway speeds and isnt noticed by the driver, at lower speeds slight reduction of power may be noticed, unless you stop before the process is complete when you will smell burning and the exhaust will click and creak loudly as it cools.

Folks dont remove them because they are blocked.....they remove them because they restrict horsepower.

The link looks like advertising in disguise to me.

• Like Like x 2
  16. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

I am always suspicious of additives that promise wonders. If it were so easy diesel would have it at the pumps and manufacturers would recommend it.

Only the latest vans have dpf's . But my car has one which has given no trouble at all. You would not know it's there. I don't do much on motorways but I do try to avoid very short trips, ie less than say a couple of miles. But even without dpf short distances were always bad for cars.

17. SteveandDenise

SteveandDenise Funster

DPF

What I should have said Phil the computer they plugged in after fitting the new sensor controled the engine RPM for about half an hour it did seem to be reving at a high RPM for a long time but this was a Fiat dealer :thumb:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  18. crimbo

crimbo Read Only Funster

19. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Yeah. It's a distinct smell.. There is a force regeneration procedure.. But I'm not quite sure of the procedure

20. lee52

lee52 Funster

the biggest killer of DPFs is start stop driving as the dpf never gets a chance to regen to regen things have to be at the correct temps if you do motorway runs then the dpf will be quite happy but its the school run type driving that they dont like and have had quite a few for repair they get so clogged up they cant regen (the regen basically injects diesel and burns the crap away you will get exhaust temps 600c plus) when I have had them so clogged up they cant regen you can save them 99% of the time the dealer answer is a new dpf, what works is removing them and jet washing the crap out then a force regen

the thing I didnt understand is I own a vectra manual hatch which doesnt have a dpf (the reason why I bought it) if it was a auto or a estate of the same year and engine they had a dpf,

so the best thing is if you have a dpf is take it for a long run every now and again so it can regen. Mot wise they only need a dpf if the vehicle was orig fitted with one (seen a few gutted and deleted out in the ecu so they look like they have one lol)