Diesel leak on '07 Fiat 2.3 ducato

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Wildge, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Wildge

Wildge Funster

Anyone have ideas on heavy diesel leak , actually pouring from engine...... on pulling onto campsite 2 days ago (not a techie but ? from filter). As always happens... after calling out the breakdown.... no sign of leak apart from heavy diesel fumes throughout the site. :Sad:
    (Had timing belt change , new water pump and service in September and used van extensively since then).
    Started engine today no further signs but am about to move on tomorrow?

2. monk

monk Read Only Funster

Try looking at the diesel filter seal the rubber seal gave in on my 2.3 multijet 2 weeks after the service so the garage replaced it FOC and its been ok since then .

3. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

This happened to me a few years ago in Spain.

The staff at Las Dunas in Spain went apeshit when I rolled up with diesel spewing out.:Doh:

It was the fuel filter. A local Fiat mechanic came to us and sorted it out. He said it wasn't a genuine Fiat part.

Since then we have always insisted on Fiat parts and had no further problems.

• Like Like x 1
  4. monk

monk Read Only Funster

Now I remember that was the reason my filter failed it was cheap part the garage fitted.

• Like Like x 2
  5. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Common problem - mine failed, the RAC guy temporarily fixed it and then it just entire again. The seal does not seem to be up to the job, sometimes.

6. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 2
  7. rainbow chasers

rainbow chasers Read Only Funster

They had a recall on the fuel rail IIRC - make sure that hasn't ruputured. Also check the filter seal i recently serviced.

8. jhorsf

jhorsf Read Only Funster

9. Wildge

Wildge Funster

diesel leak

Thanks for all your comments guys...............have moved............(with everything crossed) to new site. Just hope to get home without further..............????? and solve problem :Doh:

Thanks again.

10. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Just to back up what others have said..

We went off to Germany a week after having a major service, while there stopped at a supermarket and Diesel spilling out.. Breakdown came and it was the fuel filter, appears that on the service they could not have done it tight enough.. !! That was a main fiat delaer / motorhome company.. Chelston!!!
    The ADAC guy retightened it and it was fine for the next 18 months, when i sold the van..

• Like Like x 2
  11. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We had a similar problem two days after collecting our Autotrail Dakota from the dealers during the summer. Diesel leaking out and dribbling everywhere, you won't notice it quite the same when the engine's not running. We drove over a hundred miles up the A1 with it leaking, but didn't realise what the problem was at that point. It had just been serviced before we collected it, however, by the time we reached Wensleydale we discovered what the problem was.
    We got a local mechanic out to look at it, he didn't have the correct tool for the job and as Jhorsf said this must be used to do it properly.
    Eventually the dealer sent up their own mechanic to sort it out for us, they offered to replace the whole unit, but said that it was the seal that was the problem. Our dealer was Oaktree Motors and they sorted it out and we've had no further problem with it.
    The mechanic said the seals were notorious for being faulty and flatten easily.

Bill

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
    • Like Like x 1