Free Member
Jan 21, 2012
cornwall
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
i'm a newbie
Whilst out giving the van a run, for its own good, stopped for fuel, and my friend put 40 pounds worth of diesel into the water tank. Unfortunately, i was also running the heating before I realised the mistake (trumatic c).I think I had less than a 1/4 of a tank of water, also unfortunately. Had the sense to not use taps or flush at least. A bit depressed really.:Sad:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
That's going to take some flushing out, look on the bright side at least you tank wont freeze.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Get the drain plug out of the water tank, not sure what additive to use to clean it, sure somebody will come up with an answer.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
i doubt anything will totally clean the tank so its fit to drink from again.

CAK tanks will sell you a new tank and fittings or claim it on the insurance

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my suggestion.

drain all the water/diesel into containers (you'll need to dispose of it properly)

get some none foaming detergent, dish washer powder should do.

put the powder and a few gallons of boiling/very hot water in the tank and go for a drive.

the detergent should 'disolve' the diesel.
drain again and repeat.

DONT run the pump with gritty detergent in the water.

drain and part fill with water a few times and see what happens.

cant think of any other solutions.

Gunner29

Free Member
May 24, 2012
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
diesel

I put £80 of PETROL into my DIESEl tank!! £130 to pump it out so total cost = £210
Not sure how much anew tank will cost you but IF you can clean it out OK Good luck but I'd be wary of drinking from it

Organplayer

Free Member
Dec 11, 2011
Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Sept. 1995
organplayer

To be certain of no future "health"problems and no denting to your confidence, if it were me, change the tank. Could say thats what you pay insurance for when things unfortunately go wrong. Be certain,be sure.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
if you manage to get the diesel out into containers let it settle for a few days and syphon it off the top of the water then at least you are only binning a pint or 2 of diesel instead of £40 worth.

as for the water tank replace it and also replace the pick up pipe to the pump unless you are unfortunate enough to have a submerged pump in the tank, if thats the case bin that too.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I just found this on the internet as it appears to be a problem with boat owners, it might help:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f115/contaminated-water-tanks-24909.html

I don't know why you are being told to claim on insurance as it wasn't you who caused the problem! Your friend may have been trying to help but ultimately it is he who should be stumping up the bill if the tank needs replacing (which I think it probably will!). We bought an old Commer Autosleeper camper van which had had petrol put in the water tank, we never could use it for water so used to carry water containers around with us instead.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
A bit depressed really.:Sad:

A small consolation, you're not the first, you won't be the last.

We never drink from our tank, always use bottled or take from home, so if you get it clean enough for washing that might do.

Bio washes diesel out of clothes, why not a tank.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Never tried it as we always change anything that has come into contact with diesel but you could try a few bottles of cheap coke

Peter

Peter ... surely that would melt the tank away completely :ROFLMAO:

Horrifying to think ... people actually DRINK this stuff!:Eeek:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I would suggest using a Citrus based diesel cleaner .. such as

fill the tank then go for a drive.

Drain, fill with water and bi carbonate of soda let that work for a while, then flush with fresh water .. several times..

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
diesel in water system

I had a garage do that to me. Got johns cross to sort it out and it costs £ 3500 .
Claimed on the garages public liability insurance. This was a large 24 hour garage that dealt with all size vehicles. Guess i got the school leaver who didn't ask which one was the fuel:cry:

Found out the following weekend when i went camping. Had diesel flavored coffee.
Doesn't harm you but not the best tasting coffee in the world :ROFLMAO:

Everything had to be changed as it had tainted the whole system:cry:

S:Cool:

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
safe side change the tank if you smoke you dont want to shower in diesel could be quite painful ::bigsmile:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
That is a real sod.:Sad:

Hope you get it sorted soon.

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
Hi

Sorry to hear of the problem.

It reminds me I must take the key for the water filler off the vehicle key ring and leave it in the kitchen area, it might stop me doing it.

Mike

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
first thing to do is drane the tank take the tank out wash with solotion of fairy washing up luqud use cold water for the first two or three times then see if it stll has a smell if so repet first step then wash with very hot water and good old blech and fairy very strong solution rins cleen refit tank it worked for me on my first van if that dose not work get a new tank:thumb:

Last edited:

nucs200

Free Member
Sep 4, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
a while now
hymer water tank for sale

if you go on the Pre- Loved site there is a hymer water tank c/w pump for £65.00 dont know what model its from but you might get lucky

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I agree

i doubt anything will totally clean the tank so its fit to drink from again.

CAK tanks will sell you a new tank and fittings or claim it on the insurance

Have a look at: Link Removed

diesel is not nice stuff I suggest bite the bullet and replace the tank and claim on your insurance.
:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Go to halfrords and buy a new plastic 1 gallon put diesel in it then put in tank. Now experiment on this container.

Phil

Excellent suggestion :thumb:

However I would swap the tank. I would never trust it and would always smell the diesel imagined or real....

darklord

Free Member
Apr 28, 2011
essex
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
three years
Funny old stuff diesel, its an oil rather than a spirit, so tends to cling a bit. Ive done quite a few "fuel contams" i.e petrol in diesel or the other way around, but diesel in water...never.
The first thing I would suggest, is get it out, you can take which ever path you want, but the longer the diesel has to stink everything out, the less chance you have of success.

Once its out, I,d flush a few times with a weak bleach solution, then fill the tank with a STRONG solution of Milton and leave it there for a couple of days.
After this, I,d drain it out, then, sick a hosepipe in it and just let it run...for ages.......!
Then i,d stick my nose in it, and someone elses, and see if i could smell diesel, if i could, get shot of the tank, if I could,nt, i,d open ALL entries into the tank...the outside filler, the drain valve and the interior hatch, and leave them open until a couple of weeks till i went away again, then i,d retest, giving myself time to locate and fit a new tank.
I,m not saying this is the right way to do it, just what i would do.

Reactions: DBK

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
:Smile: Hi I would find a someone who steam cleans lorrys do try filling with fairy liquid and I mean a whole bottle to a tankfull of water drive around for say 20 miles give it time to work then drain take to the steamcleaner and give it a good blast for say 1/2 hour and flush again with fairy liquid and see how you go :Smile:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
:Smile: Hi I would find a someone who steam cleans lorrys do try filling with fairy liquid and I mean a whole bottle to a tankfull of water drive around for say 20 miles give it time to work then drain take to the steamcleaner and give it a good blast for say 1/2 hour and flush again with fairy liquid and see how you go :Smile:
hi i have experimented with a one gallon can with fairy liquid put deisel in it left it over night and flused out two or three times and no smell of deisel
but only use fairy as it is the only thing i think work brakes up the oil

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Something no one has mentioned is the 'other side' of the issue.. £40 of diesel !!

Do not throw it away.

Put it in a drum and leave a few days to settle

You can then drain off the water leaving the diesel.

Use a kettle element or similar to heat the diesel up and it will seperate any further contamination
We have used this method when making up bio diesel as some of the chip shop oil ( somehow ) has had water in it..

If you do a search on bio diesel there is plenty of fully detailed info on doing the job :thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
We clean our cargo tanks on the ship from products much worse than diesel. For us, we find that diesel is an easy product to clean. We only use Hot Water, then afterwards flush with DI water and or steam.

We also clean from much more "difficult" products such as Heavy Lube additives, Brightstock slack wax, and all sorts of real sticky dirty sh*t produced from the petrochemical chain, which makes diesel look like water.....

We can clean directly from Diesel, and all most "nasty" and toxic products, to then load super clean and sensitive pharmaceutical and food grade products, which require absolutely meticulously clean tanks. After cleaning, we then analyse the surface of the tanks to ensure it is less than 1 ppm for hydrocarbons, chlorides and NVM's (non volatile matter). Sometimes to even less than 1 ppm. In the old days we just used to lick the tank bulkhead to test the "cleanliness". :RollEyes:

Therefore I see no reason why you cannot do similar to this, albeit on a small scale, with the tank in your van. You must remove the offending diesel asap. The only variable is our tanks are stainless steel or in some vessels coated mild steel. Your tank is of course plastic which will be a little bit harder to clean.

So, I would certainly try cleaning the tank. I would fill it about 50% to 70% full with hot water and add a little fairy liquid then immediately go for a dive for 10 or 15 minutes going round as many roundabouts, bends and over speed bumps as possible so it can slosh as much as possible.

I would try repeating this several times until there is no discernible odour.

At that point if you can then access a steam hose, you could then introduce steam into the tank, ensuring the tank drain is open. Do this for a prolonged time so as to allow the temperature to significantly rise in the tank and piping, The subsequent condensate which will arise is also a good way of cleaning any small traces and residues from the system. Then do a normal sterilising procedure.

I would think you have every chance of getting the tank serviceable again...

Good luck whatever route you take....

:thumb::thumb:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We clean our cargo tanks on the ship from products much worse than diesel. For us, we find that diesel is an easy product to clean. We only use Hot Water, then afterwards flush with DI water and or steam.

We also clean from much more "difficult" products such as Heavy Lube additives, Brightstock slack wax, and all sorts of real sticky dirty sh*t produced from the petrochemical chain, which makes diesel look like water.....

We can clean directly from Diesel, and all most "nasty" and toxic products, to then load super clean and sensitive pharmaceutical and food grade products, which require absolutely meticulously clean tanks. After cleaning, we then analyse the surface of the tanks to ensure it is less than 1 ppm for hydrocarbons, chlorides and NVM's (non volatile matter). Sometimes to even less than 1 ppm. In the old days we just used to lick the tank bulkhead to test the "cleanliness". :RollEyes:

Therefore I see no reason why you cannot do similar to this, albeit on a small scale, with the tank in your van. You must remove the offending diesel asap. The only variable is our tanks are stainless steel or in some vessels coated mild steel. Your tank is of course plastic which will be a little bit harder to clean.

So, I would certainly try cleaning the tank. I would fill it about 50% to 70% full with hot water and[HI] add a little fairy liquid then immediately go for a dive for 10 or 15 minutes [/HI]going round as many roundabouts, bends and over speed bumps as possible so it can slosh as much as possible.

I would try repeating this several times until there is no discernible odour.

At that point if you can then access a steam hose, you could then introduce steam into the tank, ensuring the tank drain is open. Do this for a prolonged time so as to allow the temperature to significantly rise in the tank and piping, The subsequent condensate which will arise is also a good way of cleaning any small traces and residues from the system. Then do a normal sterilising procedure.

I would think you have every chance of getting the tank serviceable again...

Good luck whatever route you take....

:thumb::thumb:

I actually re-read that 3 times !!! ( considering we are talking water tanks I just could not believe my eyes and wondered exactly HOW big you think the water tank in question is !!! :ROFLMAO:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
dont forget the filler pipe and cap and any overflow may be tainted:thumb:

DRIFTERJOF

Free Member
Jul 15, 2011
Devon
Funster No
MH
CI Carioca
Exp
15 months
Just tried going in with a mask and snorkle, and its defo a no go on a CI Carioca!!
Sorry:ROFLMAO:..

Last edited:

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
Whilst out giving the van a run, for its own good, stopped for fuel, and my friend put 40 pounds worth of diesel into the water tank. Unfortunately, i was also running the heating before I realised the mistake (trumatic c).I think I had less than a 1/4 of a tank of water, also unfortunately. Had the sense to not use taps or flush at least. A bit depressed really.:Sad:

I find this type of mistake amazing. Does the OP normally run around with his fresh water tank unlocked? If so he is asking for trouble.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back