Diesel in water tank....argh!! (1 Viewer)

mpc13

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Funster No
Hi all,
We've had a bit of a disaster - accidentally putting around 5l of diesel into the water tank. We've cleaned it out with dishwash detergent and water. Anyone done the same thing or have advice to how we can clean it properly? Or does this mean a new tank? I read on another forum to use meths, then detergent and we thought we'd use some baking soda at the end of the process to hopefully get rid of the taste of everything... Sigh.
thanks.

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
I am pretty sure it means another water tank, but give John Cross Motorhomes a call. They are members on here and extremely helpful and will give you an honest answer.

Upvote 0

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
not just the tank to think about but the pump and hoses, I do hope your insurance will cover it. I do wish you good luck in getting it sorted. Please do let us know the outcome. so other people will have the answer in store for future problems.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not good news, will mean new tank, new pipes & taps if they have been run. Virtually impossible to get rid of the Diesel smell & taste.

Upvote 0
Jun 4, 2010
Funster No
Afternoon ,

Sorry to to read of your disaster, Me being a bit of a tightwad I would try loads of soap like afull bottle of fairy liquid and then fill it up threequarters with water and then drive round for an hour before starting to spend big money on new tanks and stuff, anyway best of luck.

georgio

Upvote 0

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi chuck biological washing (liquid soap) in it and flush a lot :thumb: It may take several times filling and flushing but better than paying for new tank,boiler and pipework.:thumb: You may have to drink bottled water for a bit :ROFLMAO::thumb:
terry

Upvote 0

yoshi

Free Member
Feb 22, 2010
Gloucester
Funster No
Exp
6 months
I thought about filling my water tank with diesel on saturday we were in Luxembourg and at 1euro a litre it was very tempting:winky:

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my bro did the very same thing when he borrowed my last van....but only 5ltrs from a blue plastic can....thought it was water as it was blue.

don't operate the pump.
drain the tank.
remove the big red bung on top of the tank and clean out by hand with loads of paper towels until completely dry.

wash out thoroughly, again by hand, with a mild solution of washing up liquid and drain again.
fill with clean cold water and drain again.
fill and drain again.
(hope you ain't on a water meter :roflmto:)
again dry by hand until completely dry.

put 10 or 20 ltrs of water and a full 500ml bottle of Milton fluid in and wash out again.
drain and thoroughly dry again then put in some clean water and draw through only one tap.

taste to test......worked for me :thumb:

if you already ran the tap with contaminated water you will need to run the same tap with the washing up liquid....draw most of the water from the tank through the tap.
do the same with subsequent clean water fill ups and with the Milton solution then draw a full tank of clean water through the tap.

put some more water in and taste.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
yoshi ,i came home earlier this year with empty tanks thought there was more of a saving to carry wine ,beer etc . have to get the priorities right.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mpc13

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Funster No
Thanks for the suggestions. We are hoping we have solved the problem...fingers crossed. After doing some research this is what we did:
1. turn off water pump (fortunately we hadn't run any of the taps)
2. Drained tank of water and diesel, put in an entire bottle of fairy liquid and some water, let it slosh around, drained the tank, wiped out with paper towels
3. Rinsed out tank with a bottle of white spirit, mopped out with paper towel (there was practically no diesel smell or greasiness after this)
4. Rinsed out with bottle of cleaning alcohol, mopped out with paper towels
5. Filled tank up, scrubbed out, drained, filled it up again

It still has a faint taste of the lemon cleaning alcohol but no diesel. We're going to try some baking soda to get rid of the taste of lemon. will report back after the first cup of tea!!

Upvote 0

Fatalhud

Free Member
Nov 26, 2009
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
19 Years on and off
We never drink the water from the tank
use a 5 litre water bottle and fill it up fresh a few times a day
Alan H

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks for the suggestions. We are hoping we have solved the problem...fingers crossed. After doing some research this is what we did:
1. turn off water pump (fortunately we hadn't run any of the taps)
2. Drained tank of water and diesel, put in an entire bottle of fairy liquid and some water, let it slosh around, drained the tank, wiped out with paper towels
3. Rinsed out tank with a bottle of white spirit, mopped out with paper towel (there was practically no diesel smell or greasiness after this)
4. Rinsed out with bottle of cleaning alcohol, mopped out with paper towels
5. Filled tank up, scrubbed out, drained, filled it up again

It still has a faint taste of the lemon cleaning alcohol but no diesel. We're going to try some baking soda to get rid of the taste of lemon. will report back after the first cup of tea!!

well done !

that'll be why it worked for me....substituted the alcohol and white spirit for miltons though.:thumb:

i wonder if the general ecology filter would have trapped the diesel ????

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mpc13

Free Member
May 17, 2010
Funster No
Just a followup... our tank is fine now, we use it for tea making and dishes but don't use it for drinking water as we didn't before anyway - prefer bottled water to eau de garden hose!!

Upvote 0

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
That reminds me of a time when the duty engineer decide he was going to pump the bilges (many years ago - it was OK to pump any old shite into the sea and nobody batted an eyelid :Eeek:) without first turning off the Fresh Water making plant:RollEyes:. The ship was doing a cable repair, so wasn't moving and the upshot was that the Fresh Water tanks were contaminated with diesel and other oils that find their way into engine room bilges. Not much water was drunk for many a month, but it is amazing how soft and supple our skin was after showering in the contaminated water for a few weeks, and so much cheaper than moisturising cream. :Cool:

John

Upvote 0

peejay

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
South Cheshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx
Exp
Started Nov '09
Drinking water???

Are you lot having me on? Are you saying that funsters actually DRINK water?
First it was the tooth fairy, then Farther Christmas, please no more!!???:ROFLMAO:
Pete

Upvote 0

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Well done, providing you dont run the pump and taps, you can generally get away with it:thumb:

You could always paint the diesel filler RED and the water BLUE, bet you dont do it again although on the boat I always have to look and make sure I am not putting water in the diesel tank

With a 1300 litre diesel tank I dont like filling up often:cry:

Peter

Upvote 0

williat1

Free Member
Jan 30, 2008
Pontrhydyfen, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2001
Mine's ok now

Hi
On my last trip to France I was distracted talking to a fellow camper and I opened my water cap and managed to get 2 Litres of diesel in. The water tank was three quarters full of water

I drove off the forecourt and opened the bung at the bottom of the tank and drained off all the contents of the tank. Opened the access cap on the top of the tank and squirted in half a bottle of fairy liquid and wiped it all over the tank insides using paper towels, including the upper inside surface.

I filled the tank with water to about three quarters full to allow some agitation when driving to the next site. On site I drained off the tank half a dozen times and used a powerful hose to wash all surfaces inside the tank. Bought a litre of strong sterilising solution like Milton and refilled the tank. Let it stand overnight before draining off. Get a sterilising solution that's ok for contact with metals. I did not use the pump at all so it did not have any diesel inside but I got quite a bit off the outside surface of the pump using a paper towel. After refilling with water I used the cold kitchen sink tap just in case I tainted the pipework. Be careful not to use any hot tap until you're certain there's no taste or taint otherwise it will get into the hot water boiler.

I got away with it....no taste or taint whatsoever.

I thought I was the only donkey to do this....but.... it can happen to anyone.

Best of luck

Williat1

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back