Diesel heater fitted anyone??

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by wiljoy, Oct 26, 2015.

1. wiljoy

wiljoy Funster

I'm contemplating having a diesel heater fitted to my motorhome.
    Has anyone had such an item fitted in the North East and is happy with the installation. Please PM me with good and bad points and who to trust, if anyone.
    Thanks,
    Wilf

• Like Like x 1
  2. seanoo

seanoo Funster

they can be noisy for anyone you park next to , we had a pilote parked next to us at el campello and his sounded like a mini jet engine.

3. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Great bit of kit, used it this year whilst in UK and very economical.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

Just taken one out of a friends van and put a gas one in, they were fed up of complaints from people on adjoining pitches.

5. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Had one parked behind us in Germany sounded like a bloody jet engine woke us so god knows how you sleep with it going.

6. Terry

Terry Funster

I have one without problems for me inside and don't really care about the people outside ;):LOL:
    It does sound like a small jet taking off but it soon chills out and goes quieter =warm as toast (y)
    terry

• Like Like x 4
  7. Spidey

Spidey Funster

We have one and it is noisy only a bit to start with. But not that bad that people inside their vans could hear it.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    They "click click" on starting,then you get the jet engine noise,they get up to the setting,then they click off...... But the fan keeps going for a while, to cool the unit down. Consider it to be akin to a "Blow Lamp!!" You are roasting,then cool,then roasting,plus the noise. (Click,click,i am coming on again LOL)
    As regard to being parked near/next to a unit with one,not only do you get the noise,you get the "Diesel fumes". Next time you have the misfortune to be in a M/way service area this winter,at night,go to the lorry park,hear the noise,smell the fumes........ Why are the lorry drivers sleeping through all this ? Because they haven't yet got around to fitting Alde,or blown air heating in the cabs,and they cannot hear theirs,because of all the others blasting away.
    If you really want to be antisocial,the trick is if you want an undisturbed nights sleep with a diesel heater/blow lamp,fire it up to MAX ! go down the pub for a few scoops,come back to the unit and switch it off it will be roasting,get into bed and snuggle down zzzzzzz's. In the morning,have a stick or some thing handy,that can reach to turn the Blow lamp on,give it 15 mins,up you get,pull your kecks on and away you go,sorted.
    The only thing in its favour,is that it is better than nothing.......... JUST! ALDE or Blown Air , NOT Blow lamp.....LOL
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 2
  9. movan

movan Funster Life Member

and ................ @Terry can fit it for you as that is part of his job ...

• Like Like x 3
  10. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

The noisy ones are Eberspachers installed without a silencer. The silencers are an extra but should be a standard fitting.

We have the Webasto dualtop and it is quiet outside but can be a little noisy inside the MH when it is on full throttle - but it is mightely powerful.

• Like Like x 3
  11. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

Ah now I never knew about silencers on these heaters.:censored: I've been used to them for decades in ambulances but they certainly don't have silencers fitted. My last 15yrs in the ambulance service were worked from home on an "on call" system with the ambulance parked right outside my house & even through decent quality double glazing I found the noise unbearable. I had a wee notion to fit one for wild camping but I've always hated the noise they made. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  12. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Here we go!

Lots of complaints from the diesel haters who's only experience of them is an unsilenced 20 year old unit in a lorry cab!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Ralph's just fitted ( by himself) a webasto air top evo 40 , 4kw heater to our PVC ("Pug")
    He put a exhaust silencer on it. It's also got a combustion air pipe silencer already in the kit.
    It's not like one of those Rv's we've been parked up next to in the past. With the Furness !!
    You hear like a whirling air movement when it first goes on . But it's certainly not noisy. In or out of the van. If it was noisy I wouldn't be able to sleep.
    It's also got 3 different power settings and an eco mode . Which are adjustable on the smart controller .
    It's very warm and very quiet.

• Like Like x 4
  14. edgy

edgy Funster

automotive electrical in mirfield. You will not be disappointed. 01924495726 ask for Liz lovely girl , Family business definitely know what they are doing. I was advised to see them by a rep at the CVM show .www.automotive-electrical.co.uk

15. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Well, never had anyone complain about it to date, but ours has a exhaust silencer fitted. At the end of the day keeps us warm so not that bothered what goes on outside.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    You could not be further from the truth in my case....oooops. Had one fitted in a BRAND new '09 Timberland Endeavour,(NOT by choice !!).

Mind you,it was JUST as noisy outside as the ones i had in cabs in the...Mid '70's..... ( Forty years ago,was it that long ago ?) with the exception being,the Timberland was just a smidgen better insulated inside,but you could still hear it despite the wall to wall carpet. (Click,click,whoosh,click,click,LOL)
    If you do get one fitted,think carefully about where you have the hot air inlet positioned in your unit,if you have it any where near where you sit,it could boil your legs,oh, and when..sorry IF it goes wrong in the winter,nip in any proper haulage yard and a "Man will fix it".
    Tea Bag.
    PS. Going to the pub while it warms the unit up is stiil the way to go.

• Like Like x 1
  17. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe

You had a night heater in the seventies!!!!........I could only dream about night heaters as I froze my ******** off on a camp bed over the engine cover of an Atki Borderer:)

• Like Like x 3
  18. Badknee

Badknee Funster

We had a new to us truck join the fleet of quite old trucks, it came with a night heater. Get that fu**ing thing out of there he said, or they'll all bloody want one :LOL:

• Like Like x 3
  19. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi you two old farts.
    Happy days,when cabs were wood and men were STEEL......... (And....Stole LOL) matamoros,did your Borderer have the windscreens held in place by 5" nails,and paper jammed in the cracks between them and the cab ? LOL. Mine had done a Million miles with Don Valley Rolling Mills,before i got my hands on it,loved it.
    Tea Bag

• Like Like x 1
  20. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I tried as many did to sleep with the engine on fast idle to cut down the vibration to get some heat in the cab, then drive carefully for fifty miles the next day so it didn't show up on the fuel consumption.:LOL:
    Also lean out of bed and light the cooker to boil the kettle for a brew worked too. ;)

• Like Like x 1