Diesel Cap On Fiat Ducato

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by juhso, Jun 3, 2015.

1. juhso

juhso Read Only Funster

Just driven home in my newly purchased 2005 Auotrail tracker - Everything works fine except
    the lockable cap to the diesel. I eventually got it open using the ignition key but now can't lock it - its just stting in very loosely with a good chance that the first bump will doslodge it.
    Is there an easy answer to this or should I nip into a garage and get an unlockable one...?

2. Steve devon

Steve devon Funster

It's a common fault, fiat parts on line will sort it out, get a new one

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Put some light oil on the key and lubricate the lock. I find the cap has always been a bit awkward. On mine you have to hold the black plastic bit and then turn the key clockwise. You can't do it one handed.

• Like Like x 1
  4. oldflemo

oldflemo Funster

We got a 2005 Lunar Roadstar on Monday this week and like you struggled to get diesel filler cap to relock . It took a bit of repeat trying to get it locked but it can readily be done I assure you although it does not seem possible on first try. Hope you can do it too.
    Ian

5. CWH

CWH Funster Life Member

We've had ours nearly 18 months now and only just getting the knack of the diesel cap!
    When we picked the van up we went to the gas station (practically next door) to fill up and blocked the forecourt for a good 10 minutes or more trying to get the cap off - I think if they weren't anticipating a big sale they'd have asked us to leave!

• Like Like x 1
  6. juhso

juhso Read Only Funster

Many thanks to you all for your quick replies. gratified, but saddened too, that I am not alone. We're off up to Ullapool tomorrow so don't fancy losing half a tank en route!

7. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

On a similar theme I wonder if anyone can shed light on this 'filler cap' question.

A couple of days ago I put fuel in our 'van.
    It's been some time since we did so, (No I haven't discovered the secret to everlasting diesel) and when I unscrewed the filler cap I definately released a partial vacuum in the tank. You could hear the air going in.
    Is this normal and if not, by having the creation of a partial vacuum in the tank am I in some way creating a possible problem.

All answers gratefully received.

8. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I've noticied that and I think it is normal. I can only guess the tank is not open to the atmosphere but does so through some sort of pressure relief valve. Probably a safety or environmental thing.

9. mick noe

mick noe Funster

mines the same odd is it not? be interested in answer myself as you would think it would stop fuel eventually

10. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

a few drips of oil in the lock mechanism then work it open and closed several times to loosen it does the trick normally. and the rush of air when removing the cap is normal

• Like Like x 1
  11. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Are you sure it's air going in - rather than coming out? Fuel tanks normally have a valve to admit air but prevent it from escaping so a rise in temperature can cause a small build up of pressure in the tank which is released when the filler cap is removed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Thanks to a lifetime's experience......

I can tell the difference between a suck and a blow:giggler:

• Like Like x 2
  13. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

As DBK has said its a two handed job, I had the problem myself when I first got the van
    Hold the cap with one hand and turn the key with the other, have a practise today before you fill up

14. trophychap

trophychap Funster

Both the x250's I have had have definitely sucked air into the tanks when I have removed the filler caps. Years ago most cars/vans had a small air hole in the caps, it seems they don't now.

My MGF is the same a definite suck in when the cap is removed. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fuel tanks being made from plastic these days?

15. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

You really would think with today's technology of the 21st century that some baffoon could design something as simple as a lockable fuel cap without it having problems - The fuel cap on our Citroen DS3 i must say is awesome, it looks the same design as the camper vans cap but you just put the key in the cap and turn it to unlock and the whole cap just comes away with the key - all done with one hand, how long it will be good for is anyone's guess :LOL::LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  16. peterc10

peterc10 Funster

Its a Citroen so probably now a matter of days.

17. trophychap

trophychap Funster

I've got a 2006 C4 with the same petrol cap, still working perfectly fine.

18. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

I curse that filler cap every time I have to use it. The flap opens the wrong way, you cant get your hands in ( you need both) because of the vans width and all the while you are squashed up against the pumps.
    Vacuuming fuel tank is common system now.