Diesel Additive Question

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Flamenca, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

I have been using various additives over recent years to help my old Hymer pass the MOT emmissions test and have just realised that a bottle of Spanish brandy, although very valuable, might be a better and less expensive additive compared to the regular products on the market.

Any thoughts?

2. Baileysbus

Baileysbus Funster

Is that to give to the MOT tester to drink before he tests the Hymer?:sneaky:

• Funny Funny x 3
  3. Flamenca

That's a thought for the test next year :)

4. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

Might work on a petrol engine but I wouldn't want to try it. As for your diesel motorhome, NO....Just NO. Don't do it. Just keep buying the snake oil that the go-faster shops sell.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Flamenca

What I do not understand, and do not dare ask the MOT examiner, is why he alternates the emmisions test from one year to the next. He either does a 'quick test' or the 'full monty'. As his computer has always said the magic words 'PASS' it seems sensible for me to keep quiet.

Can anyone explain the difference between the two tests bearing mind the age of my vehicle (Euro standards had not been invented in those days).

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

I might be wrong here, but perhaps what he does is the emissions test & then the smoke test itself?

7. Flamenca

I should have clarified that my MH is so old it does not require an emmissions test (from what I understand) but only requires a smoke test. He only does one test each year. Either 'quick' or 'full'. He is an HGV tester and probably considers my MH as a toy?

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

The price comparison is brandy XXX additive XXXXXX, I think that is the gist of the joke??
    I buy additive to keep petrol from Going off but the costs as much as a load of fresh petrol.

9. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Are you sure you NEED the additives? I wonder what happens if you don't use it ... would it pass anyway? Now THAT might be a good question to ask the MOT man ...

• Like Like x 1
  10. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

The vast majority by far pass the emissions test wihout any help from 'Snake Oil'
    However the odd ones that do need help respond extreamly well to a product called Forte one of the better Snake oils that do indeed work and is provable
    Alternating Emissions tests are not an option that the tester can choose, the test is fully automated and consists of two parts
    1. The fast pass if your vehicle falls below a certain figure the test wil self complete as satisfactory
    2. The system will i it detects a higher reading than a fast ass limit will auoto apply a full test useing an inbuilt set of paramitters
    The clean burn modern diesels can not be seen by the equipment at all and used to default to no vehice under test, we had to get al our machines adjusted to cope with this anomally.
    Shows how clean engins are getting
    On modern petrol engines the machine does a sample of the enviroment the car is in, to deduct from the cars results
    Quite often the exhaust emissions coming out are cleaner than the air going in
    G

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1