Didn't think this actually happens! (1 Viewer)

Travelbug1

Free Member
Aug 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 yr
personally i cant think of anything more dangerous......

a bucket (or many buckets) of water on a fire of unknown source...possibly electrical. :Eeek:

if club sites expect this then they should, at least. provide a sand heap to fill your bucket.

even tents have electric hookup now and generators have no RCD protection. :Doh:
Good to see Pappajohn is still as pessimistic as ever !!

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Oh no Bob, you are not going to become a warners marshall are you with a yellow jacket on:winky: [HI]
mind you it makes you easier to spot [/HI].. get extra points for yellow ones.. I have a few of the warners now notched on my marker poles on the RV... getting as common now as bugs on the bumper... next you will be running around with a cb:Blush:

Bob (and Ezzie 6 years and 2 days).. Sue said she is not associated to my post:Blush:

:winky: A lot of our MCC are marshals for warners, so I have a foot in the door. :ROFLMAO:

AS you say ' mind you it makes you easier to spot ' Not that anyone tries to run us over, it saves me a lot of walking, chasing a van round the field :RollEyes: that's LOST !!!! :ROFLMAO:
Its a bit easier looking for someone that stands out, even if you know who your looking for. :ROFLMAO: No don't want a CB, :whatthe: that's how we met. :ROFLMAO: So we will leave it there.:Doh:
Now behave we have just spent the weekend with Jonathan Lloyd and he speaks highly of you, so don't spoil it. :roflmto: Back to FIRE buckets. :thumb: Bob.

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
personally i cant think of anything more dangerous......

a bucket (or many buckets) of water on a fire of unknown source...possibly electrical. :Eeek:

if club sites expect this then they should, at least. provide a sand heap to fill your bucket.

even tents have electric hookup now and generators have no RCD protection. :Doh:

lets be real here how many use gennys without an earth spike????
mind having said that this will only be a problem if there is an earth fault and you put 1 foot on your aluminium step and get a shock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Right not sure how i got here but the original message was van pulls in, fire bucket filled up.
now no mention of what this was with, but surely not earthing spike. so is this some word association game that those in the inner circle compete or have i lost the plot again /////
// bloody fingure stuck again wheres me question mark ? found it.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Sorry to post on here but I'm losing the will, how the **** do I start a new thread, I've read the FAQ's & it says click the NEW THREAD Button, but Where?

Feb 26, 2012
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
Motorhome since 2006 (caravanning 38yrs)
Reading these posts has made us think that we should get a fire blanket or extinguisher pronto. We always pack the inside of the cooker shelves and grill with bubblewrap to stop them rattling around whilst travelling:RollEyes: however, recently when we stopped for a bit of lunch, Bill lit the oven by mistake (instead of the hob for the kettle) and the bubblewrap starting to burn inside the oven:Blush:

After a couple of seconds of blowing like mad and the yelling of some unrepeatable phrases, it went out, thankfully, however, it could have caused a major problem had it not gone out quickly:Doh:
Margaret:Blush:

We use hand/tea towels for shelves and grill pan. We also have a fire extinguisher in that area.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
:
Now behave we have just spent the weekend with Jonathan Lloyd and he speaks highly of you, so don't spoil it. :roflmto: Back to FIRE buckets. :thumb: Bob.

Jonathan Lloyd ... my agent (publisher)... I think that the dirty was done on him... Always happy to write for Jonathan, he had my articles published a few time over the years. Never meet him other than by emails and letter...

But as you say Bob, back to the bucks.... I still prefer you without a high viz jacket on:Blush:.. I have always found you .. or JIM...

Bob:thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I think the ground spike is.........

Right not sure how i got here but the original message was van pulls in, fire bucket filled up.
now no mention of what this was with, but surely not earthing spike. so is this some word association game that those in the inner circle compete or have i lost the plot again /////
// bloody fingure stuck again wheres me question mark ? found it.

The ground spike is to earth the vehicle as if there was a problem with the earth it could cause an issue if you tread on a step....

Having a built in genny in the chassis (no ground spike) ... no earth issues either... I doubt I would get hit by a shock ... but I think he is saying there is a risk of fire that way.... i.e ground earth. Could be wrong:cry:

But as we know threads often go off in weird and wonderful ways...

Bob:Blush:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
go to the home page

Sorry to post on here but I'm losing the will, how the **** do I start a new thread, I've read the FAQ's & it says click the NEW THREAD Button, but Where?

Go tot he home page... left top side look for the word Forums ... go down the page until you pass the current posts and look for a heading like motorhome or u shape lounge .. pick the one you want to post under.. click on that heading and then on the left side you will see the NEW THREAD .. click and start the topic.. the button is orange with white letters... hope that helps

Bob

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
My view....

Fire Buckets are better than nothing, but just slightly better than nothing.

We should all carry fire extinguishers, and in my view at least 2.

They cost a few quid. How much is your van (and your life) worth.

They can deal with most small fires at the earliest stage, much better than a bucket of water. And Fire Buckets can only deal with fires in the earliest stage.

So have one fixed somewhere in your van, and the other ready in the van, wherever you want it, so you can put it by the BBQ easily.

Water is not good at quickly extinguishing fires..... FACT.....

So if you don't have one.........Get two!!

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
iv seen a few buckets when iv been on some meets and thought thats nice of them to put them there when iv come out of the tent and bursting for a piss:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mar 12, 2012
Bridgend, South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just started!
iv seen a few buckets when iv been on some meets and thought thats nice of them to put them there when iv come out of the tent and bursting for a piss:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Have you ever seen this 'bucket' on a campsite? ::bigsmile:

10259271.jpg

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I can understand the reasoning years ago when campers were messing around with Tilley lamps and primus stoves complete with meths and paraffin, but what use a bucket of water is going to be with an American RV that has spontaneously combusted its fridge with a large LPG tank and the possibility of at least 100 litres of petrol on board I fail to understand. P***ing in the wind springs to mind. :Eeek:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I can understand the reasoning years ago when campers were messing around with Tilley lamps and primus stoves complete with meths and paraffin, but what use a bucket of water is going to be with an American RV that has spontaneously combusted its fridge with a large LPG tank and the possibility of at least 100 litres of petrol on board I fail to understand. P***ing in the wind springs to mind. :Eeek:

Yes, a bucket is of little use in those circumstances but so is the type of fire extinguisher normally carried in motorhomes. Any fire extinguishing mechanism should only be used in appropriate circumstances.

One thing for sure though (all other things being equal). If a bucket of water is there it could be used to put out a fire but if there is no bucket of water there is no such possibility. Why knock something that is easily provided and could prove very useful?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back