Didnt set the alarm....Paid the price!

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Emmenay, May 17, 2013.

1. Emmenay

Emmenay Read Only Funster

While at the Spanish grand prix last week we fell into the trap of feeling secure amongst fellow campers from around europe.
    On the second night we retired to bed without setting the internal alarm or locking the hoesafe locks. (Resident security on site) All we did was lock the doors. We woke up to find some things had been disturbed and it soon emerged that our passenger door lock had been forced with a screwdriver or similar and entry was gained to the front of the van. Had it not been for the captain seats being turned and lots of junk in between them the thieving gits would have got completely in.
    As it was we lost a few euros and it will cost us a new lock from fiat.
    Let this be a lesson that complacency is an enemy. I was so angry at myself especially as I had recently had the alarm repaired and fitted the hoesafe locks myself.
    One thing is for sure though.....WE WERE NOT GASSED, I HAD NOT HAD A DRINK and i am usually a light sleeper. I gues we were just so dog tired not to have heard anything. Lessons learned! :Blush:

Last edited: May 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Oh dear , thats a shame. But at least you are ok. Not much taken.

We never set the alarm when we are in the motorhome.
    Never even thought to do it .
    Then again we have 2 Border terriers. They arnt barky dogs but would do so if the door opened whilst we were asleep.
    Though they would more than likely lick the intruders and want a fuss odd them:Blush:

• Like Like x 1
  3. PP Bear

PP Bear Funster Life Member

OMG!!! The very thought that someone had gained access while you were sleeping really gets my blood up, the cheeky bleeders and if they had gained complete access, then what :Angry:

I wouldn't be held responsible for getting hold of someone I found breaking into my home, I'm just so glad it wasn't any worse and that your both ok :Eek!:

Lesson for us all for sure :Eeek:

• Like Like x 3
  4. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

Sorry to hear about this. At least they didnt get much xxxx

• Like Like x 2
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

an expensive lesson learnt but at least you admit you werent gassed, mugged, beaten to a pulp.

just plain knackered and didnt feel you had to fall back on the usual excuses.

hope the repairs arent too expensive.

6. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

This is the type of incident that puts me and I'm sure others off touring Spain having never yet ventured abroad.:Sad:

• Like Like x 3
  7. scousebird

scousebird Funster

That's awful. I always imagine I would hear it if someone broke in but just shows you can sleep through it. Hope it hasn't shaken you too much.

8. Ed Excel

Ed Excel Funster

Dont be put off Stewart. We go every year and have never had a problem. Most of security is being aware of the risks. Have a look at this, it may surprise you.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_cri-crime-total-crimes_percap

9. busby

busby Funster

No one gets GASSED, they only know of someone who has been!!!!

10. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

We hardly ever arm our alarm at night just lock the doors, sorry to highjack your thread but out of curiosity would the insurance pay out if anything was stolen of value?
    Sorry to hear of your incident but hope that your story will help others.

11. Emmenay

When you think about it, even if the alarm had been set and the hoesafe locks wre on, we would still have to replace the lock because thats as far as the crooks would have got so i think (hope) the insurance would at least pay that if the alarm wasn't on.
    Having said that, would you bother with the insurance if you left yourself wide open, I don't think I will.....

12. busby

busby Funster

Dont be put off. As he said he forgot locks and alarm. Cars and vans broken into in uk all the time. Twelve years we have been touring SPAIN GERMANY FRANCE PORTUGAL ETC, never had a problem. Think muggers and pickpockets take one look at my CASIO watch and lack of camera, flash phone and jewels and realise they would be wasting their time.:BigGrin:

13. chaser

chaser Funster

Please don't be put off, get out there and don't worry, I would be more worried in some places here, if they are going to get in they will , where you are is nothing to do with it.:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  14. Emmenay

Lets not lose sight of whats happened here, I could have been anywhere in the world and not secured what is mine. I was at a venue parked in an open field and where 50,000 spectators decend on the place. You walk a lot of miles during the day and you sleep like a fossilised log at night. The thieving barstewards must know this!
    I dropped the ball and paid the price. Again, it could have been anywhere.
    Spain is a beautiful place, thats why I am here :thumb:

15. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

Sorry to hear of your experience and hope you are not too shaken up! As an extra precaution we always looped the seat belts through the cab door handles so even if they forced the door lock they could not gain access.
    I tend to trust mechanical solutions more than electrical ones

Norman

• Like Like x 5
  16. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

What is the point of having an alarm system if your not going to use it. I feel sorry for Emmenay as I have falling into the same trap the odd time, [HI]but he has reminded ME/YOU/ALL MH owners on this forum and tonight every MH owner with an alarm WILL have it on. [/HI]It's like driving a car you get bad habits over a period of time and ONLY when you see/read/hear about someone having a problem because they are doing it wrong you change your habits.

As for putting you off touring in your MH think about it for a few seconds........ how many MH are there total in UK/EU and how many break-ins do you hear about??? VERY FEW.

A thief - all thief's are opportunists - your leave a window open they are in - you leave something on the dash they take it - forget to set your alarm and they are watching they break in.......

Enjoy your MH and used it life is too short.

Last edited: May 18, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  17. chaser

chaser Funster

Now that seems an excellent idea , nothing extra, and can still drive away.

• Like Like x 2
  18. chaser

chaser Funster

As for putting you off touring in your MH think about it for a few seconds........ how many MH are there total in UK/EU and how many break-ins do you hear about??? VERY FEW.

Exactly!!!!! It's the same old story, you only hear the bad things , no one is interested in good news.
    How many funsters have gone away on here through the years, and how many have been broke into

• Like Like x 1
  19. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Reading the OP and because it is at the Spanish GP, I am sure we would all think Spanish crooks. Having been to Jerez several times for the GP it never fails to amaze me how many different nationalities are there. Whoever did it could have been from anywhere, including the UK. So it seems to me that not going abroad for fear of being robbed is a waste of better weather (hopefully) and the only losers are the ones who miss out on seeing foreign lands.

What I am trying to say is that it could have been anybody, anywhere.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

We live in Spain and I can assure you the Spanish people are one of the kindest in the world, (when you get to know them) remember they had many years of the "Francisco Franco" regime were if you were caught stealing you disappeared!!!

As stated could happen anywhere.

I think the OP has just reminded us, if you have an alarm USE IT - Simples.........