Did you sell your house to purchase a van for full timing (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
I find it quite a sad thing to be concerned about the monetary value of a family home.
House prices have risen and fallen, but I cant see we have "gained" or "lost" value, as we aint moving.
Our house is a small one and it has no monetary value to us.
No idea what it's worth on the market.... don't care.

It's where we live, where we brought our kids up, where we come back to, where Christmas lives, where the grandkids come to see us, where friends know how to find us.

To reduce it to a price would be to rip the soul out of the home, reducing it to nothing more than just a building.
It will only have a value when the clogs have been well and truly popped and the kids have no further use for it.
Let them worry about value.
Whether home is bricks and mortar or a MH, it's home.
Does the value really matter?

Depends how you look at it. If you bought a little terraced cottage , did it up , sold it . Bought a little semi , did it up sold it, then another , then got a big 4 bed detach, with only increasing the mortgage by 10 k through any of the moves. Yep the value would matter. But then again it's like a pension , for us , really in effect.
We lived in the houses whilst bringing the babies up and renovating them. It was hard work. But we will benefit when we eventually downsize. Because of all the equity.
It helps with Ralph being a builder of course. If we'd chosen to live in areas not as nice as we have , we could have probably made more on the properties . But again , thats another reason why we love to go home after a weekend or holiday. This house has been ours for the last 9 years. It will carry on being till we decide otherwise.
But it's a different means to an end. The children , friends and family will visit. As they do now . In which ever house we end up in. :Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i bought my bungalow 26 yrs ago with thoughts of how it would work for me .parking garage . etc . added a couple more . tarmac-ed the front lawns . paid for it 16 yrs ago . been like living free for 16 yrs . made up for the struggle of buying it . does every thing i wanted . could down size with the house but require garages sheds to play in . think i may live in the best street in uk . lovely neighbors . great place and i still like it after all this time .

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I find it quite a sad thing to be concerned about the monetary value of a family home.
House prices have risen and fallen, but I cant see we have "gained" or "lost" value, as we aint moving.
Our house is a small one and it has no monetary value to us.
No idea what it's worth on the market.... don't care.

It's where we live, where we brought our kids up, where we come back to, where Christmas lives, where the grandkids come to see us, where friends know how to find us.

To reduce it to a price would be to rip the soul out of the home, reducing it to nothing more than just a building.
It will only have a value when the clogs have been well and truly popped and the kids have no further use for it.
Let them worry about value.

Whether home is bricks and mortar or a MH, it's home.
Does the value really matter?

I still have many fond memories of, the place we grew up, aunts and uncles houses where we spent Christmas etc etc. If I now re-visit I find that they are occupied by large families from the indian sub continent but this makes no difference to my memories.

If I am looking at pictures of the kids growing up in a memorable situation we normally then discuss, now where were we living then. Or what caravan/motorhome were we in then.

Personally I think like the previous posters that working the market, becomming mortgage free as early as possible will lead to even more fond memories. No mortgage payments while you are still earning plenty is a fantastic situation to be in.

Paying your mortgage off just in time to retire at 65 when you income has reduced to just a trickle has no benefits.

Having said all that, I can understand where you are coming from.:thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
It's a long thread to read ::bigsmile:House prices are not going up around here :Smile: Maybe down south/london area but around here nope ::bigsmile:Yes houses are selling a bit more but all that have sold recently have taken a big hit on the prices before 2007 - one example paid £135 k in 2005 went upto 185k now acepting offers from 110 to 120k :Eeek:Others have sold at similar losses from 2007 prices but they have made over time like us bought when prices were low but gone up over time.Over the last 40 yrs house prices have almost doubled every 10 yrs - it's only the last 10 yrs that they have fell and still got to reach the pre 2007 prices.
Selling to go full time ?not for us :winky:Even if we did I would down size so that I would have an exit stratagey and part of the money would be increasing in value as house prices go back up -- or at least around here they will :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

Pat and Trish

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache
Exp
3 years
Reading this thread reminded me of one of the saddest songs I've ever heard :cry:, it's all about the memories not the profit :RollEyes:

"The Old House" by John McDermott

Lonely I wander through scenes of my childhood
They call back to memory those happy days of yore
Gone are the old folk the house stands deserted
No light in the window no welcome at the door

Here's where the children played games on the heather
Here's where they sailed their wee boats on the burn
Where are they now? Some are dead some have wandered
No more to their home shall those children return

Lonely's the house now and lonely the moorland
The children are scattered the old folk are gone
Why stand I here like a ghost and a shadow?
'Tis time I was movin' 'tis time I passed on

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToV-Gsn0ZzM"]John McDermott - The Old House - YouTube[/ame]

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dafydd

Free Member
Oct 12, 2011
St Davids, West Wales
Funster No
MH
Frankia on order
Exp
a long time planning...

Thanks Buttons for the interesting thread...

I've been thinking about selling up and living in a van since about 3 years ago. I think I made my mind up about 1 and a half years ago. Then for the last year I've been waiting for the Irish economy to come back from the dead, which it is starting to do (banks are finally starting to give mortgages again).

I'm currently getting rid of a couple of decades of accumulated furniture and "stuff" - a harder job than I'd imagined. Then re-decorate and put it on the market August/September and cross my fingers that I won't be having to live in an immaculately hoovered house for too many months till someone buys it.

Over the last 2 years I've read quite a few threads on mhf and I've got to say that the ruminations of a variety of people with all different perspectives, talking through a load of different aspects of going fulltiming has been a *massive* help.

So I'm going to cash in all my chips. I've got to (nearly) 50, I find myself a free man with a paid off house and a small income. I think that without that fortunate financial situation I couldn't really contemplate living as a solo nomad.
I do some work online (editing, document preparation) but having done a financial plan (ie gone from a scrap of paper to a spreadsheet) my total annual income will probably only be about £12-£15 a year.
However, in doing the financial plan I realised that with the bills & costs of a fixed home-life I will actually have about the same financial freedom with considerably more physical freedom. I've got friends around Europe that I haven't seen in years.

For all the logistics & beaurocracy considerations this forum has proved absolutely invaluable. And my lovely sister has agreed to let me use her house as a postal address - and to stay there between selling up and buying a van.

As to an exit strategy - well I think you have to have half an eye on that: the means put by to rent somewhere perhaps. But also: look what happened to the actor James Gandolfini - 51 and keeled over. That really made me think!

So yes, I'm going to willfully set fire to some bridges!
I could rent the house out... I've thought about it and for a lot of people that's going to be (or is) the most sensible option. But I know I won't be wanting to return to live here in future so for me it's part of a 'clean break'.

Despite being naturally impulsive the near-death of the Irish economy has forced me to bide my time, which has been a good thing. Over the last 2-3 years I've narrowed down the van I want to a handful of models, I've got lists of places I want to visit that cover several pages, I've read over Truma/Alde heating systems, reviews of dealers, how to import from Germany, medical cover, rules for motorway tolls and compulsory kit for a dozen countries, wi-fi options, and the saga of Fiat-Sevel gearbox issues of 2006-2010 vans :Eeek:
Now I'm definitely ready!! Even my elderly mum seems to have got used to the idea that I'll be living in a campervan and no, I won't be carrying on waiting for a college lecturing job! I think she's already planning some little trips she'll want me to take her on..

Anyway, I'm grateful enough to all the folks here for posting their wisdom that I've finally paid up for membership!

dave2222001

Free Member
Jun 29, 2013
East Anglia
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Ime a Newbie
House price thread

This thread doesnt have any info about Selling up for full time travel its only about house prices. Ime confused. With the exception of the one above this and possibly a few more.

Last edited:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
We terminated the monthly financial drain in 2009. Sold up, paid off last bit of mortgage, went on the road... ::bigsmile:

... already had the MH

Last edited:
OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
This thread doesnt have any info about Selling up for full time travel its only about house prices. Ime confused. With the exception of the one above this and possibly a few more.

Over the past years a number of fun members decided publicly to sell their assets, use the proceeds to purchase a motorhome and drive off over the horizon for a life of greener grass mobile living.

This thread was just asking for members experiences and opinions after living their mobile dream for some years and now finding that property prices could be putting any idea of a return static living out of reach.

Hope this helps with your understanding of the thread.:thumb:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
If you have sold your house to purchase a van for full timing in the past few years then I think your bridges are now well and truly burnt.

House prices up by £750 a month for the past year. I wonder what your investment in your home on wheels is now worth.
Great news for some but do you have any regrets.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/38...t the market over the next twenty four months

Last edited:

FULL TIMER

Free Member
May 31, 2012
NORWICH
Funster No
MH
SELF BUILT IVECO 75E17
Exp
BEEN BUILDING THEM FOR 32 years
We sold up November 2006, after being told that my bout of shingles could have been caused by stress. Work was slack, house prices at a peak and bills ever increasing, we thought that we had reached a point that we would sell rather than lose it, we already had a caravan so traded that in against a large twin axle model until I had time to build our own motorhome, wife is retired I'm self employed and work in the motorhome trade (family business) as and when needed. Initially we took a couple of years out had plenty of holidays and generally enjoyed the good life spent a bloody fortune but hell you are only here once, we bought the ex prison truck at a reasonable cost and I took another 5 months off work to build the new conversion, what we got for the caravan paid for most of the materials total cost not including my labour around £13,000.
I much prefer this way of life and my stress levels and blood pressure have both benefitted, I really can't see us either being able or ever wanting to buy another property so we are not worried about today's or tomorrows house prices they are not relevant. I will admit this lifestyle is not for everyone and you really do have to be sure about it if you decide to sell up as for most there will be no going back after a year or so, we never had much choice at the time but In a way I would rather have been able to have kept a small flat just as a rental property but again It could have been more hassle and that is something I definatley didn't want or need. Absolutely no regrets.

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
If you have sold your house to purchase a van for full timing in the past few years then I think your bridges are now well and truly burnt.

House prices up by £750 a month for the past year. I wonder what your investment in your home on wheels is now worth.
Great news for some but do you have any regrets.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/38...n full timers continually on the move.:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
is this the same m,home lover that rents an apartment in winter in spain ?
is that fulltiming i dont think so,

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
is this the same m,home lover that rents an apartment in winter in spain ?
is that fulltiming i dont think so,
Spending some of that £3500, saves keep burning his ass on the light bulb when he turns over in bed.:roflmto:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
We have met many, many fulltimers over the last 18 months - it's amazing how many there are - and they are invariably a relaxed, friendly, optimistic and adaptable bunch.

It seems to be only the materialistic brick-box dwellers who are so chippy and sneering.

Hey, ho :Smile:
Never suffered with materialistic tendencies, show traders would not get rich on what I spend at shows:Cool: Never been accused of being chippy and sneering either :cry:but I do own more than one property and I have very much enjoyed motor homing of all types for 30 years so I do have a good understanding of living in both brick box's and tin sandwich box's. :winky:
Having and enjoying both is by far the best option.:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
We have met many, many fulltimers over the last 18 months - it's amazing how many there are - and they are invariably a relaxed, friendly, optimistic and adaptable bunch.

It seems to be only the materialistic brick-box dwellers who are so chippy and sneering.

Hey, ho :Smile:

i think most fulltimers just dont want to admit they made a mistake . i tried it years ago . i say its a bad move . keep a base makes much more sense . and can make insurance etc easier and cheaper . plus you can always sell later . either way if you die you cant live in the house but cant spend the cash if you had sold it . but many more are going to make the mistake of selling .

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Well over 4 years later and I still don't regret selling. In fact not worrying about mortgage payments is probably one of the biggest pluses of fulltiming for me personally.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
i think most fulltimers just dont want to admit they made a mistake . i tried it years ago . i say its a bad move . keep a base makes much more sense . and can make insurance etc easier and cheaper . plus you can always sell later . either way if you die you cant live in the house but cant spend the cash if you had sold it . but many more are going to make the mistake of selling .

Only a mistake, in your eyes Alan. Many i know are happy bunnies.

Craig

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi grommet once its paid its almost free .
hi simsy .i,m glad your happy i know loads that arent or have gone back to long terming like me . several on here have .we all have to decide whats best for us . as i said earlier i bought when young so i could travel when older . at 43 i left on a 5yr tour of africa .my kids were brought up knowing mum and dad were going to go travelling . as it was we returned earlier and started a different take to the life we had before .just working in summer travelling in winter . hope you carry on enjoying your life style .

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
We love going off in the MH but it is nice to return home again with so much more space and dedicated rooms for a certain purpose:thumb:

Living fulltime in a 7x2 m box would drive us mad:Eeek:

Using a MH for 25 long weekends and a few weeks off per year is great and what it is designed for ,full time living is what houses are constructed for.

I have seen fulltimers modern MH`s with worn fittings and delaminated floors after a few years--not made for it.

This is for fulltimers:thumb::winky:

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 11
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
hi grommet once its paid its almost free .
hi simsy .i,m glad your happy i know loads that arent or have gone back to long terming like me . several on here have .we all have to decide whats best for us . as i said earlier i bought when young so i could travel when older . at 43 i left on a 5yr tour of africa .my kids were brought up knowing mum and dad were going to go travelling . as it was we returned earlier and started a different take to the life we had before .just working in summer travelling in winter . hope you carry on enjoying your life style .

I don't full time Alan, wish i did though. Er' indoors will not full time. But, similar to you we will wander during the winter, and hang around the bricks during the summer. Having a scutch of grandkids doesn't help being away for long periods either.
My brother full times and is completely happy. No kids, no house, just him and his partner.
Bricks have never done anything for me, i could quite happily live in an RV and go where i wish. And like you i am an ex trucker and spent many, many, nights and weeks away on the road, all over europe, UK, and the middle east.
My heart lies in travelling.

Craig

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
my parents had a few mates that fulltimed in the 60,s . i tried it in the 70,s .but decided it wasnt quite what i wanted . address,s and things like that mean telling fibs etc . plus i decided to marry and have kids . some friends are still doing it . some i see in morocco from when we used to go inthe 70,s they are still full timing . mind they have boxes dropped all over the eu in others houses and sheds . i like having a house and space to park and do repairs at my leisure .saves paying others to do it .

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
A boring couple of weeks in the life of a brick box dweller,:winky: Today sitting in glorious sun shine looking out to sea and topping up the tan at south end on sea (dont knock until you have tryed it). Last week, spent in 5* luxury on thr island of Cyprus, just 5 hours from my brick box to the hotel.:winky:
Tomorrow catch up on a bit of work before spending next weekend camping in the beautiful county of Suffolk. Followed by a couple more weekends away then a week in the villor in majorca followed by a couple of weeks in the US. Etc. Etc.:Cool:
Any one of these pleasures would be a majour undertaking if not impossible if I Was full timing.:Sad:
How about a week in the life of full timing. What are you doing this week.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
why just leave the camper at a mates place . i could leave mine in various countries in the eu. bit harder in maroc as it as to go into a bonded storage due to customs duty. but all can be arranged .

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
5 years and counting for us, we sold April 2008 and are really enjoying having money to spend on ourselves rather than a motgage and bills, we pay site fees in uk and use aires and sites in europe, love the idea we can go where we want when we want without the worry of a garden to mow and house to worry about being burgled etc.
Having different scenery one week to the next!
No neighbours, we had a few bad ones in the years before we sold, we can move away from them now at a moments notice and dont have to declare it on the conveyances forms!!
When one of us becomes too ill to do it then we will settle down.
We didnt have the money to travel when we owned the house now we do!!!!
Cant take it with you and the kids dont need it so we are SKI'ers.
So any regrets??? Definitely not!!!

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
A boring couple of weeks in the life of a brick box dweller,:winky: Today sitting in glorious sun shine looking out to sea and topping up the tan at south end on sea (dont knock until you have tryed it). Last week, spent in 5* luxury on thr island of Cyprus, just 5 hours from my brick box to the hotel.:winky:
Tomorrow catch up on a bit of work before spending next weekend camping in the beautiful county of Suffolk. Followed by a couple more weekends away then a week in the villor in majorca followed by a couple of weeks in the US. Etc. Etc.:Cool:
Any one of these pleasures would be a majour undertaking if not impossible if I Was full timing.:Sad:
How about a week in the life of full timing. What are you doing this week.

Just as easy to do from a fibreglass box as a brick one :Smile:

OP
OP
buttons
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Just as easy to do from a fibreglass box as a brick one :Smile:

Not really an insight as to how you are spending your time full timing, I for one would be interested in a week or two full timing. Do you still leave your van for a holiday each year or have you given them up now. What are you doing just now. I am sitting outside Waitrows at southend. What are you doing.:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back