Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
In our new MH 2015 there is a grill which we have used occasionally, reading through the instruction book yesterday I found out (probably you already know, we didn't ) that when using the grill the door should be at least half open or fully open but never closed.
One would have thought that we should have been told at the handover.
A thought, why is there a door if it is not used, is it just to stop things falling out of the grill?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
You should never shut the grill door when it is in use, either in the house or the motorhome, if the door is shut when in use it virtually becomes a oven which it is not designed to do and dangerous I would think.
It probably was not mentioned in the hand over because it is written in the manual.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
101 of learning to cook is leave the grill door open when on, suspect it would have been presumed. Although have to admit with my current (electric) cooker I tend to close it as it's the oven too and seems happy closed

Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
When using the grill function on our Rapido oven, the flame goes out if the door is closed. Mind you, we did find this out the first time we tried to make toast :)

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Doesn't closing the door cut the gas supply off as well so you cannot use it?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
In our new MH 2015 there is a grill which we have used occasionally, reading through the instruction book yesterday I found out (probably you already know, we didn't ) that when using the grill the door should be at least half open or fully open but never closed.
One would have thought that we should have been told at the handover.
A thought, why is there a door if it is not used, is it just to stop things falling out of the grill?

You nearly suffered whats known as an RTFI fault, it van happen to all manner of appliance and equipment. I will leave you to work out what that means.:)

Last edited:

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
I think most of the SMEV ovens have a slide out metal flap(?) inside the top of the oven to keep the heat away from the fittings above the oven (and keep the door open).

OP
OP
etap

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
So most of you know including my other half, I must stop reading about things I know nothing about.
Yes there is a baffle plate on ours Bob.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes our gas cooker also has a plate that is put in place when the door is open to use the grille to stop the knobs melting. :LOL:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Crikey, even I knew that:)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
As far as I knew the door has to be down as with the grill at home. Actually, why would you want to put something under a grill and close the door. It's not an oven. However, I suppose this is something you either know or don't and I certainly wouldn't knock anyone for not knowing. There's a lot of things I don't know and this is where this forum is so very invaluable.
I also didn't know that, until Phil of Rhino Installs told me, that the gas switches off if the lit gas blows out. Apparently (and this is the technical area I know nowt), it's the flow of gas and lack of heat so cuts off. May not be totally correct so don't take the mickey but apparently ours works correctly.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
I've just read all this, wondering whether I leave the door open ????

Penny has just dropped as to why I couldn't remember.....

Our tec tower is only an oven, no grill .....phew.....!

:doh:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
I knew that .. dah de dah I knew that!!! :) :)

There's a first for everything.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Thank goodness for school cookery classes I knew that one.

Although there are some strange things, the heating instructions for my van recommends that the windows or skylights are left slightly open when heating in use..... Seems bloody mad to me

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back