Did someone mention Morocco?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Scattycat, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

Well, I thought I'd start another thread on the subject.

We've been there a couple of times, mainly travelling along the coast or heading inland and over the Atlas mountains but we have never visited the north coast.
    So I was wondering if it's worth a visit.
    Have any of our intrepid explorers ventured along the north coast?
    and if so what are their opinions and recommendations of places to visit ?

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi, yes its really fantastic . some high cliff roads and lovely beaches below but hard to get to ,even on foot.
    some of the coast road from martil to al hoceima is very rough . we did it in trucks . there are a few real nice fishing villages . but we never found any campsites open in march . did stay in a few villages usually outside police stations . did it a few years ago just after the big earth tremor there . it stopped us going past al hoceima .
    heres a few to give you an idea . roads were tracks . and bread came from the big oven fresh in a morning . might be hard for a conventional camper .

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Dazzlin

Dazzlin Funster Life Member

4 1/2 months and counting.
    Going clockwise this time so hoping to take in some of the northern parts.
    Can't wait to leave very scenic but moist Scotland!

• Like Like x 3
  4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

be warned it can be difficult crossing over to the coast in and around end dec /jan .
    must say having done it that way twice . i know why it makes more sense to go down the atlantic coast and come back up end feb /march by inland routes .
    once went in november . the rain was terrible all the mud roads were like swamps .
    all the fields were like lakes . november is rainy season .
    but have fun .

• Like Like x 1
  5. MickyP

MickyP Funster

We went last year over Xmas and New Year did a clockwise tour Martil, Chefchaouen Volubilis, Meknes, Azrou, Midelt Erg Chebbi, Gorges du Todra, Gorges du Dades, Ouarzazate, Marrakech, Agadir, Tagazoute, Sidi Kaouki, Essaouira, , Safi, Oualida, Moulay Bousselham, Port Tanger. 4 Weeks, 4,000 Kms, Great Trip, fantastic diverse Scenery, Cheap, and very Interesting. Only thing that annoyed us was constant begging. Would certainly go again

6. vwalan

vwalan Funster

you were lucky normally that marrakech
    ouarzazate road can be under snow .even more on the way up to midelt
    this was up by azrou on the road to fez .. think the dates are on the pics .

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  7. paintman

paintman Read Only Funster

A good pal of mine winters on the beach nr Agadir on the atlantic site, he is drawn along with many others by the warm weather, although a large site it fills up and by all accounts last winter there was a queue of folk waiting for pitches to become available.
    Some info here. http://www.nomadic-one.com/reflect/retirement-campsite-agadir-morocco

• Like Like x 1
  8. MickyP

MickyP Funster

Vwalan I guess we were lucky only snow we had was Azrou to Midelt the road was passable but tricky with black ice in many places Tiz n Ticka Pass was Good we had no rain in 4 weeks, in all guess we were lucky. Next time we want to go a different time of year ? not sure when the best time is to spend a month there but obviously not November, By the way the reason we went clockwise was so we could fast passage up Motorways on west coast if stuck for time we only had a month due to insurance and other commitments. Stayed 6 days at Tagazoute Beach nice walk to town each day.

9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i say you want the 90 days go middle of december, leave middle of march . then spain/portugal have warmed up.
    6 weeks to get to algerciras , 6 weeks to come back . 6 months in all . give or take a bit .
    we left early in i think it was 2011 just before some of the riots hit the west coast. i havent been back . mates have . it just spoilt it for me . that winter it was strange . locals i had known for years were different . think they didnt want to say what was happening . a few hours after we left larache they burnt the police station down . not sure who . but in the cafes we used we knew something was happening . glad we left when we did .
    will go back possibly next winter . not this one . might be they sort out libya and we can go back there . tunisia libya then egypt . mind cant do syria either so lets hope it all gets sorted .
    tunisia is nice but too cold in winter . good m,home country lots free parking .

10. vwalan

vwalan Funster

just noticed micky p is already in spain so doesnt need the twelve weeks coming and going .
    might be used to the snow if living in alhama . ha ha .

• Like Like x 1