Devonshire car park Carlisle? Overnight

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Dogeared, Oct 30, 2014.

1. Dogeared

Dogeared Funster

has anyone used the castle car park for overnighting at Carlisle?

2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The Carlisle Council parking page says "A caravan may not be used in a car park for domestic purposes or as a place of habitation". It will all depend on whether the definition of caravan within the parking order includes motor caravans in addition to towed caravans as to whether habitation of a motorhome is allowed or not.

• Like Like x 1
  3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

I think you will be fine. Here is some specific advice, and the park by the castle is specifically mentioned (Devonshire Walk) but if worried why not call the council and ask? I was born in Carlisle so could probably help with any translation required. http://www.motorhomeparking.co.uk/nwest.htm

A quick check on Google maps and you can see some unattended caravans on this park. http://goo.gl/maps/0XvAa

• Like Like x 2
  4. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The specific advice is for daytime, though, not overnight :) Contacting the council to ask wouldn't be a bad idea though (y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. lorger

lorger Funster

Never stayed overnight in Carlisle as we just get the train home :) I know folk have stopped overnight in Gretna at the outlet center and you could easily get the train to Carlisle. I would also assume there will be loads of wild places just outside the city as it is surrounded by country side.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

I'd avoid it this weekend, there is a fireshow on Saturday and a third of the park is taken up by a travelling fair.

• Like Like x 1
  7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Oh yes, lots of wild places around Carlisle. My father used to say the people living in the stretch west towards Silloth "ate their young". However, he was from Wigton so I am not sure he was really qualified to single these particular folk out!

• Like Like x 3