Devon/Cornwall in August, best to book? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Just deciding whether to travel from Malvern show down to Devon/Cornwall for a week or so, possibly taking in the BH weekend.

Not done this sort of trip in a MH in the UK before. Appreciate sites are not going to be cheap as it`s high season, but is it best to make sure we are booked in somewhere in advance every night? What are the chances of just rolling up and getting in?

Don`t want to be driving every day, so thinking about just maybe 2-4 stops (after Malvern) for 2-3 days each. Happy to just stay in Devon, or to go into Cornwall as well. Not been down there for about 25 years.

Our MH is 30ft with bikes on, just want to relax a bit of cycling and ideally not heaving with kids. Any areas/towns best avoided with a largish MH?

Any ideas/suggestions re places and/or sites would be very useful.

Thanks

Steve

Last edited:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
From our limited experience booking will be essential especially at weekends and bank holidays.

This weather may keep many at home but we have seen no sign of it over the past few weeks.

Down there may be different but up here many grass only CL type sites are closed as they are too wet to carry motorhomes

Bluemooner

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Dreamseeker Fifth Wheel
Exp
4 years
We are going on Friday and have booked all the sites, a lot would only take bookings for a week in high season which we didnt want to do it took ages to find sites where we wanted

Andy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gaz

Free Member
Nov 25, 2007
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since june 2005
we are doing it the other waygoing to cornwall , devon and then to the malvern show.
if you would like to come and see us we can tell you of a few places of interest that we would have been too :Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
didnt know you could prebook layby,s and park ups .hee hee if you want campsites might be best to book ..from malvern i normally would say drop to brecon beacons and tallybont and usk resevoir in wales then down to port talbot or swansea .turn left or right as the mood takes you .
but come to cornwall by all means .have fun .

Gaz

Free Member
Nov 25, 2007
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since june 2005
we have only booked 4 nights out of the 2 weeks we will be down there
2 night at st austell and 2 night near st just to photo the tin mines :Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi where are you at st austell . i,m not too far away at roche .might suprise you and come and annoy you .ha ha .or you come here .

Gaz

Free Member
Nov 25, 2007
cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since june 2005
hi vwalan

we will be at the doubletree farm caravan park on 4/5 aug if you want to pop over pm me and i will send you my phone number:Smile:

as it is my birthday on the sunday we will be in a local pub in the evening:drink:

we when to roche last time we were down to take photos of the rock:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi .yes have met germans etc that know all about the rock .its quite famous it seems world wide. most in uk never heard of it.
will pm you .

Last edited:

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
hi vwalan

we will be at the doubletree farm caravan park on 4/5 aug if you want to pop over pm me and i will send you my phone number:Smile:

as it is my birthday on the sunday we will be in a local pub in the evening:drink:

We always stay at Doubletrees Farm - lovely site and great owners. Say hello for us to Sue and her dad Denis - we're Marie and Rex Turner ( the one with the pink hair! - that's me, not Rex! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:)

The Four Lords pub is under new management and very good - they're in the BritStops guide I believe too.:thumb:

You can walk to The Eden Project from there too and get in at a discount because you've walked!

Buses to St Austell, Par and Fowey from The Four Lords.

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Thanks for all the replies.

Have changed our minds about what to do numerous times since starting this thread. Even considered going to France instead.

Now considering finding a nice site in Devon or Cornwall, ideally within walking distance of a town and staying there for the duration (now 20th-27th August).

Looked at quite a few today on C&CC site but most do not have availability for our dates. Looked at CC site and they seem to all say max length 8 or 9 Mtrs, our MH is 10Mtrs.

Steve

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
hi vwalan

We will also be at Double trees on 5/6 Aug as we are going to Eden Project on Monday.
Robin's bithday is on Sunday also so we may meet you in a local pub!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back