Devon and Cornwall trip

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by lufcdave7, Jun 29, 2009.

1. lufcdave7

lufcdave7 Read Only Funster

Having read all the posts regarding wildcamping restrictions in Devon and Cornwall we were not surprised to find "No overnight parking" signs at all popular seaside car parks on our recent trip. However, there was one particular exception and jewel in the crown...TINTAGEL. This beautiful North Cornwall location boasts more than four car parks where motorhomes can pay less than £2.00 for all day parking and as little as £2.50 for overnighting (8pm to 10am). It was sad and annoying to see around early evening all the empty car parks at other locations that were losing revenue because of the imposed restrictions...wake up Cornwall, take a leaf out of Tintagels' book!

2. tucker_j

tucker_j Read Only Funster

Doh!

We were in Tintagel last year in a hired MH and paid to use the camp-site at the end of the village :Doh:

3. IanH

IanH Read Only Funster

I am sure that if Newquay and other surfing areas opened carparks for overnight camping they would be full everynight.
    But i am sure you would not want to spend the night in your motorhome next to them,plus the cost of cleaning up the mess would outwheigh the revenue generated

4. duetto owner

duetto owner Read Only Funster

just back from cornwall some parts have no tv digital or analouge signals, poor mobile phone and internet reception too.

not sure why not mountain ranges.

if you like tv you will need a sat set up if going near lands end way.

5. lufcdave7

lufcdave7 Read Only Funster

We noticed that the digital switch over for the South West is planned for the 1st July and a much stronger signal is promised...should be better from tomorrow!?

6. highwayman

highwayman Funster Life Member

Hi All
    Teignmouth and Dawlish Warren allow m/homes to overnight for free :thumb:
    Max stay 48hrs
    We were there last week, very-nice :thumb:
    If you go to the Warren swing the gate shut about 9pm, it discourages any boy-racers.
    We were told to do this by the parking warden !

Regards...nige

7. hogan

hogan Read Only Funster

Have been to Lands End many times,why on earth would you want to watch TV with views like that.

8. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

3 coverage is poor in the southwest, mobile phone signal varies from place to place, But where ever you are there are reasonable TV signals, well there will be up until the changeover to digital, at which point I've no doubts it will all go tits up. Here in Ilfracombe We have always had channel five and up to 98 digital channels, but with the reorganisation will end up with less than we have now. As to overnighting. I have never had a problem overnighting anywhere in Devon or Cornwall, you just have to train yourself where to look. The west country has some of the most spectacular scenery in the country, do come and enjoy it. you never know my CL might even be open by the end of the season.

9. duetto owner

duetto owner Read Only Funster

best internet dongle coverage we found was t mobile, orange in 2nd. vodaphone & 3 were poor or non existant.

10. jezport

jezport Funster

You can also pay to stay overnight on the Penzance car park IIRC its £1.50 for the day and £3.50 for the night. The warden will let you move to the field at the back of the car park. It has a panoramic sea view.

11. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

Welcome to Cornwall dude!...................We are always the last to get everything :Sad:
    The word is we are getting new quills.............I think they are called BIRO's or something :thumb:

Boo

12. creamcake

creamcake Read Only Funster

which car park?

hi,thank you for your info. could you tell me which car park in penzance allows overnight sleeping please. any other info for wildcamping or carpark camping would be most helpful.
    thanx again creamcake:helpsos:

13. geoff1947

geoff1947 Read Only Funster

Cornwall. Didn't you know!! Cornwall isn't part off the UK. They are the real Brits PS I'm from Devon!:thumb:

14. jezport

jezport Funster

Its the one just before the Campsite, you pay and display and then go to the village store to pay for the night parking. The old chap let us and another van onto the field behind the carpark so we were not disturbed.