Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Hi Peter
Yes , bought it from Becks and collected on 9th Feb .
We went to Simpsons at GtYarmouth a couple of weeks earlier to look at a new Rapido with similar layout to the B544 but the central locking and the drop down bed had both failed as well as some doors were loose so we walked away.
Then decided as we were out to have yet another visit to Becks not intending to buy , but did , it had a good spec including auto , should learn to keep hands in pockets :rolleyes:
So less than 2 weeks old!! We bought ours in November. We live in Kent so not so easy for us. Like you just looking, and then fell in love with it, so had to have it. Stayed for a couple of nights in Caister at the Old Hall when we picked it up to make sure that we got any niggles ironed out. Good job we did because there were a couple of annoying rattles that they sorted out.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I think the Hymer pan European service and warranty debate has been done here a few times, but either way I can't see your local Hymer dealer bending over backwards to help with with warranty issues after you have just deprived him of a sale. If somebody has experience otherwise OK but if I was me contemplating important that would be one of my concerns.

Martin

There are good and bad...just like real life. you dont have to justify your choice by giving our spurious misinformation. I would not import a Carthargo as UK dealers operate a totally illegal closed shop. Hymer Has a few very good dealers in the S/E so no problem with warranty issues

Do you remember "Beat the pirates campaign" of years ago when you could import RHD Fords for a lot less...the market changed withing months here! Mitsubishi where the same...I always imported mine for Cyprus

I would happily buy a Carthago from Belgium though as dealer convenient and first class

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
There are good and bad...just like real life. you dont have to justify your choice by giving our spurious misinformation.
Whoa Eddie - remember rule 1, and try not to live up your user name. Was it any more "spurious" than your comment on the windscreen wipers? :D We all have our own opinions, doesn't mean any of us are giving out "spurious misinformation".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
So less than 2 weeks old!! We bought ours in November. We live in Kent so not so easy for us. Like you just looking, and then fell in love with it, so had to have it. Stayed for a couple of nights in Caister at the Old Hall when we picked it up to make sure that we got any niggles ironed out. Good job we did because there were a couple of annoying rattles that they sorted out.

So far so good, 87 miles on the clock and (y) . Off to NEC Monday for a couple of days for a first run.
Have been plugged in since we got it and everything working well .
Seems typical of Hymer quality (y)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Whoa Eddie - remember rule 1, and try not to live up your user name. Was it any more "spurious" than your comment on the windscreen wipers? :D We all have our own opinions, doesn't mean any of us are giving out "spurious misinformation".

I'm speaking frankly how does that get anywhere near rule 1. I am right re wipers the picture proves it. Anyway you quoted above a reply that was not to you? But to Martin someone I admire incidentally....Chill

OK compare phots LHD Van and proper RHD car wipers...can you seriously not see the difference from Larry's earlier photos...Its not my concern but that of other owners of RHD its well documented..arguing about nothing

Van lhd.jpg
for RHD.jpg

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Eddie, what's the ACTUAL PHYSICAL difference between the LHD and RHD wipers ...

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
Yet another thread hijacked by utter bores who repeatedly push their views on importing motorhomes.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yet another thread hijacked by utter bores who repeatedly push their views on importing motorhomes.
... and your comment is helpful how ????

If you don't want to import a MH that's fine but others may not be aware of the massive financial savings to be had by doing so.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning

If you don't want to import a MH that's fine but others may not be aware of the massive financial savings to be had by doing so.

Go back and read the original post, then see how this thread (like many others) gets hijacked.
The OP is looking for advice regarding the issues he/she is having, not looking for "massive financial savings"

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
T
I considered importing but decided that buying my Hymer from a local dealer who I can ring or call in at the drop of a hat was a back up that I preferred.
Coupled with that as most of our travelling in the future will be in the UK a RHD was the deciding factor.
I thought they had a pan European warranty?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Yes there are savings but also disadvantages , the average guy who drives mainly in the UK will be far better off in a RHD, comfort and convenience in driving can be worth more than just cash although the end sale is far easier with RHD.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
T

I thought they had a pan European warranty?

The warranty was not the dealbreaker although important.
I made a calculated decision and RHD swung it for me and having owned RVs for the last ten years and knowing most of my driving will be in UK I'm fully aware of advantages / disadvantages of the two.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Go back and read the original post, then see how this thread (like many others) gets hijacked.
The OP is looking for advice regarding the issues he/she is having, not looking for "massive financial savings"
Yes I can READ ... but there's not much to add to the advice he/she was given originally hence the divergence into the discussion now ... if you don't like threads that 'wander off' after the OP has had answers then simply don't read them any more! We're not barred from talking about other stuff on threads ... it would be a very boring forum if we were!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The warranty was not the dealbreaker although important.
I made a calculated decision and RHD swung it for me and having owned RVs for the last ten years and knowing most of my driving will be in UK I'm fully aware of advantages / disadvantages of the two.
... in your circumstances I think you made the RIGHT decision ... no two ways about it in my mind. For those, however, who go abroad in their MH most of the time then a LHD, regardless of any financial benefit, would probably prove to be more appropriate.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
OK compare phots LHD Van and proper RHD car wipers...can you seriously not see the difference from Larry's earlier photos...Its not my concern but that of other owners of RHD its well documented..arguing about nothing
Calm down ... calm down.

Have a look at the 2 photos I linked to. You will see that the RHD and LHD wipers are exactly handed. In both the drivers side wiper sweep up to vertically on the drivers side by the same amount. Not only is the sweep in the opposite direction, but the position of the bottom of the wiper has been moved. The sweep area has changed and the one on the drivers side of the LHD is the same as the RHD only handed. The effect is therefore exactly the same for the driver (and the passenger).

Now compare the way the RHD one sweeps with the way that the one on the photo of the RHD car/van (can't tell) does. They are the same. The only difference is that Hymer has 3 blades rather than two.

BTW I am perfectly happy with the wipers on my RHD Hymer A class, especially after having to drive through an absolute deluge a couple of weeks ago. Don't know about others. Maybe Hymer occasionally make a mistake and fit the wrong wipers (and windscreen) to RHD models? Or maybe other makers?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Calm down ... calm down.

Have a look at the 2 photos I linked to. You will see that the RHD and LHD wipers are exactly handed. In both the drivers side wiper sweep up to vertically on the drivers side by the same amount. Not only is the sweep in the opposite direction, but the position of the bottom of the wiper has been moved. The sweep area has changed and the one on the drivers side of the LHD is the same as the RHD only handed. The effect is therefore exactly the same for the driver (and the passenger).

Now compare the way the RHD one sweeps with the way that the one on the photo of the RHD car/van (can't tell) does. They are the same. The only difference is that Hymer has 3 blades rather than two.

BTW I am perfectly happy with the wipers on my RHD Hymer A class, especially after having to drive through an absolute deluge a couple of weeks ago. Don't know about others. Maybe Hymer occasionally make a mistake and fit the wrong wipers (and windscreen) to RHD models? Or maybe other makers?

I have not seen your photos was talking regards Larry..do I look really bothered?:D

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Devastated - heard from TravelWorld they have 'cocked up' and the motorhome I have been looking forward to picking up on the 3rd March has the wrong transmission - Manual instead of Automatic
I am gutted - 10 days before we are due to collect - insurance paid - back bedroom full of new stuff - hire car bk'd - campsites bk'd
alarm and 'Gaslow' from Vanbitz bk'd in for fitting - holidays with grandchildren - motorhome clubs joined !! heart broken
Sat drinking NZ Marlborough White Wine drowning my sorrow - unable to get us one now until August 2016

So if anyone looking for a new Hymer T class 554CL with fixed bed - many extras - get in touch with TravelWorld
If this was my experience, I would negotiate with Travelworld to re-order the motorhome to the spec you originally ordered. You will always regret buying something that you didn't really want and, each time you use it, you may be wondering what it would have been like in your preferred choice. This takes away your enjoyment of your holidays. I would also explain about your travel plans and request a temporary van of equal or better standard than what you have ordered to tie you over with between your originally planned collection date and that of the replacement van in August.
If Travelworld are of reputable customer service and satisfaction, that's the least that they can do.
Failing this, I would cancel the order and take your hard earned savings elsewhere.
It's in these types of situations that you really get to find out how good the dealer is and for most of us, a motorhome is second only to a house purchase for expense, so I'd like to think that they would be doing all they can to appease you.
Good luck with it and let us all know how you get on - it could assist others with deciding on where to place their next motorhome order from!

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
No you don't, just spuriously misinformed :D:D

BTW does your house sitting come with a free 10 minute or 30 minute argument?

Heavens...who is arguing yor trying to jusutsify the unjustifiable IMO...I have no interest in RHD whatsoever and all the nonsense that goes with it. Cant we just agree to differ lol

The OP was not aware of the import route and after their dispointment I though they might like to know...Then everyone chips in with the getting personal & knocking to justify their choice

shall we move on to the EU?:D

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Quite happy to agree to differ. Everybody is different. I hope I have never criticised you at all for choosing to purchase your motorhome in the way that you did. And I am sure that it saves a lot of money. But just because somebody does it differently does not mean that that way is "unjustifiable"; it is just different. And I certainly wasn't trying to justify my choice to you or anybody else. I only need do that to the boss - and I succeeded in that before she let me buy it.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi @lamyj , you must be really disappointed, I would be and in fact I was.

Unusually I actually wanted a LHD because I believe that it is easier driving a LHD in a country I'm familiar with than it is to drive a RHD on unfamiliar roads. I ordered mine from the main (sole) concessionaire in the UK almost exactly 12 months ago at the NEC.

When the delivery date kept slipping I was able to source a brand new one with exactly my specification in Germany and did a little battle to get my £10,000 deposit back.

I will admit I saved many thousands and in fact tens of thousands but the reason I went for it was that my health at the time was less than 100% and a short delivery time was more important to me than anything else.

I would go there again but wouldn't try to tell you to do the same, each to his own and rightly so.

I worked for a Ford dealer in the early 80's and watched the imported XR3's coming into this country via Ebbeca International Ltd and cursed the early importers so I can see it from both perspectives.

In a nut-shell go with your instincts and don't let anyone influence that instinct without you desire them to give advice and the very best of luck in your search.

Hopefully we can have a laugh about all this over a beer in a field somewhere soon.

Griff

OP
OP
lamyj
Feb 15, 2016
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Hymer T class
Exp
Thanks 'Gavlad' for your comments - I will be driving over to TravelWorld first thing Monday morning to discuss with
Ross Edwards - owner
Let's hope TravelWorld live up to their good reputation - will let all know how we get on

Thanks to all for your comments

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
There are good and bad...just like real life. you dont have to justify your choice by giving our spurious misinformation. I would not import a Carthargo as UK dealers operate a totally illegal closed shop. Hymer Has a few very good dealers in the S/E so no problem with warranty issues

Do you remember "Beat the pirates campaign" of years ago when you could import RHD Fords for a lot less...the market changed withing months here! Mitsubishi where the same...I always imported mine for Cyprus

I would happily buy a Carthago from Belgium though as dealer convenient and first class
Hi Judge

Not sure which bit was spurious misinformation, are you saying that all Hymer dealers will be only too happy to sort out warranty problems on a van they have not supplied or just the few good ones in the South East. I don't know so this is a genuine question, not that it influences my decision where my next purchase comes from as I doubt it will be a Hymer.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back