jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Hi all,
What do Funsters think of Dethleffs. I went to have a look at a few motorhomes at the weekend.
8 hours of driving, don't you just love it.:(

A Dethleffs A class Espirit caught my eye, as it seemed like a quality motor.
Anyone got one? and what do you think of them.
Thanks

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Our first van. Deadlegs.
Been in it full time 3 years.
Coachbuilt. But would change for A class.
Cannot fault.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
@jessthedog we have a dethleffs a magic edition A class 2016 2,500 miles on it this is my view just like all the other m/h once they have the money you can piss off e mailed dethleffs direct fobbed off same as rollerteam fobbed off but we have to go back to the dealer but it's the makers that should be made to take it back and correct the problems I think that would make them get it right first time ray xx lol still lol £90,000 better off with a tent and wellies

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
@jessthedog we have a dethleffs a magic edition A class 2016 2,500 miles on it this is my view just like all the other m/h once they have the money you can piss off e mailed dethleffs direct fobbed off same as rollerteam fobbed off but we have to go back to the dealer but it's the makers that should be made to take it back and correct the problems I think that would make them get it right first time ray xx lol still lol £90,000 better off with a tent and wellies

I'm going to look at one tomorrow.
I take it you've had problems with it Ray? I have read that the build quality is good. Not in your case, so it seems!
What chassis is yours on?
Cheers

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
@jessthedog fiat FIX IT AGAIN TOMMOROW fiat ray xx lol still lol get them to put the heating on and see if you get any heat in the front of the m/h and ask them if you can extend the warranty and how long have you have after you buy it ray xx hope this helps can you give us a push:madder::madder::madder:

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
Had a garage A class first, changed to 7014 like Dazzlin. Excellent build usually cheaper than Hymer. Buy private, not a lover of Lowdhams, useless at sourcing parts, use Owners Club, excellent backup and help.

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Had a garage A class first, changed to 7014 like Dazzlin. Excellent build usually cheaper than Hymer. Buy private, not a lover of Lowdhams, useless at sourcing parts, use Owners Club, excellent backup and help.
Thanks for that. I'm going to Lowdhams tom!:(

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
We have Dethleffs A class bought 3 years ago secondhand(2008 model) build quality is very good.
There is a lever at the front on our with Truma on it this pumps air into the pull down bed which we have not used.
Keep looking for a 2nd hand 7150 EB or 6910-2 A classes with large garage to upgrade.
We have found the fiat engine good we have 3.0L sits at 70mph all day long 26~28mpg
Would buy another dethleffs
If you look on the Dethleffs section there is not much people are complaining about!
Jim

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
I have a 2008 Dethleffs Esprit 7850 and cannot fault it one bit, the build quality is second to none and IMHO from 2012 onwards the build quality has decreased slightly because the volume of sales had increased significantly because the whole motorhome population had increased drastically in the last few years.

I've owned mine for over 3 years now and would not change it if someone paid me to own a post 2012 motorhome, be it any make, but that's just my opinion.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The Dealer is the most important part of a purchase. I would not go near Gunthorpe the after sales is a joke. Find a good Dealer even if you have to travel. Your contract is with the supplying dealer so if you have a problem you have to get them to sort it. The manufacturers are not interested. We have a Laika ( Hymer Group ) and it's been great. Couple of niggly faults which I have fixed and a fair few mods to make it just how we want it. Factory have been great and supplied wiring diagram and help with a couple of parts sent under warrantee. Could have taken it back but its a 400 mile round trip.

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Solidly built but appear very basic compared to a Hymer they are cheap so good value for money. Not sure if they still use timber in the construction if so I would avoid.

Jun 21, 2008
Haxey, Doncaster, UK
Funster No
MH
Eldiss CV80
Exp
Since 2005
My last van was a Dethleff Esprit 7910 Tag axle had it for six years could not fault it build quality is excellent some people say that are a bit old fashioned inside but as long as everything works and holds together who cares

John

Apr 5, 2016
Notts
Funster No
MH
Frankia
Exp
Since 2016
Have read the above with interest, we too have a Dethleffs A class Magic edition and love it. Comfortable, warm in sub zero temps and a great drive. Ours is a 3litre manual. Good luck in your search, we too looked at Lowdhams but were disappointed when we showed interest in a van and asked a few questions. They assured us they would get back to us and didn't. Their loss, we went elsewhere!

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Allways liked the Dethleffs. When we we looking it was going to be a Dethleffs or Burstner tag axle, Burstner came up first, mates got a Dethleffs they are similar. Good luck with what ever you get.

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Our first van was a Dethleffs - an overcab as it happens - and we found the build quality very good. The only reason we switched was for a different layout, but like others here, I can't recommend Lowdhams (Huddersfield, though whether they are better or worse than the Midlands branch I have no idea). They were great at point of sale but very poor when it came to service and aftercare. We never went back. We now have a Hymer A class and of course Dethleffs are part of that group. I think Dethleffs vans are classy, especially the low profile and A class models, and although it would take a lot to get me out of the Hymer, I'd be happy and proud to own and drive a Dethleffs.

Gorse Hill

Free Member
Feb 2, 2013
Stretford
Funster No
MH
Burnster Ixeo IT 734
Exp
Solidly built but appear very basic compared to a Hymer they are cheap so good value for money. Not sure if they still use timber in the construction if so I would avoid.
Cheap o_O not that much difference between Dethleffs,Burnster &Hymer I know because I looked at all three closely (as you know Lenny all part of the same group) personally I preferred the Dethleffs, however last year they didn't do the layout we went for with the Burnster (they do it for 2017) the Hymer didn't appeal to us personally as it's seemed old fashioned and for OAP's;)plus just found out you have to spray the underside every year to maintain water ingress warranty :Eeek:, maybe not as bomb proof as people think
(y)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I wouldnt worry too much about the fiat chassis. Most of the premium MH's are built on Fiat or Iveco chassis, this wouldnt be happening if there were lots of problems and many of us are on our 2nd,3rd etc Fiats.

If you are buying 2nd hand just be careful of x250 with blue badge on the steering wheel as these were pre updated and some are prone to clutch issues ( less of an issue with the 3 litre which is also a much stronger engine with chain not belt)

IMO the Dethleffs A class is a pretty strong product, its cheaper than the Hymers and that does show but many of the components are good. I would just double check the construction materials of the one you re interested in though.

For greater choice and lower prices Link Removed is the place, or maybe worth having a chat with bundesvan

Link Removed

hth
Jon

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I have a 2008 Dethleffs Esprit 7850 and cannot fault it one bit, the build quality is second to none and IMHO from 2012 onwards the build quality has decreased slightly because the volume of sales had increased significantly because the whole motorhome population had increased drastically in the last few years.

I've owned mine for over 3 years now and would not change it if someone paid me to own a post 2012 motorhome, be it any make, but that's just my opinion.
I fear that you might be right with this, we spoke to a couple yesterday who have a year old Morelo Home and previously had a N+B Arto for 10 years, they only sold the Arto as they thought they "might" have problems with its age now they have changed they do have problems.

Sorry doesnt really help the OP unless the question is "new or used".

Martin

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
We bought our first motorhome from Lowdhams, a Dethleffs coach built. Lovely van, good build quality, we only got rid of it for a better lay out. Lowdhams at Nottingham were just not very good at all, as newbies we took there advise on a motorcycle rack on tow bar, which wasn't suitable for the van. Later we had problems that they were extremely reluctant to fix and we're extremely rude in the process. Several years later my daughter bought a used Hymer from them (they didn't tell me beforehand ) which had numerous faults that Lowdham again were not bothered to help with. Having since worked in the trade I now know that this attitude is common with dealers but to have a Manager as good as call you a liar is not on.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Cheap o_O not that much difference between Dethleffs,Burnster &Hymer I know because I looked at all three closely (as you know Lenny all part of the same group) personally I preferred the Dethleffs, however last year they didn't do the layout we went for with the Burnster (they do it for 2017) the Hymer didn't appeal to us personally as it's seemed old fashioned and for OAP's;)plus just found out you have to spray the underside every year to maintain water ingress warranty :Eeek:, maybe not as bomb proof as people think
(y)
Had a look at them at Düsseldorf my wife comment was "I always thought they were upmarket but now I seen in some they are very basic and down market" (wife's comment not mine).
Equivelant Dethleffs to Hymer we have ordered 10-15 grand cheaper. Don't know about UK prices may be hiked but they are a lot cheaper than Hymers in Germany.

As for Hymers being old fashioned have you looked at the Dynamic Line, bright and modern that's what we have ordered.

As for the spray another British Rip off Belgium dealer doesn't bother and its not necessary all they do it spay some overpriced underseal around the cable and pipe entry points.

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Some Sunlight models are marketed as Dethleffs, although they are an economy model usually made for the hire companies. Very pleased with my Advantage model, the interior trim is a cut above many, and the beds very solidly made.

OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Keep looking for a 2nd hand 7150 EB or 6910-2 A classes with large garage to upgrade
I've just bought a 7150 on 12 plate(y)

Had a look at them at Düsseldorf my wife comment was "I always thought they were upmarket but now I seen in some they are very basic and down market" (wife's comment not mine).
[/QUOTE

They are up market enough for me, coz I just bought one.(y)

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
We have had a Dethleffs I1EB Magic Edition since April 16 and have covered 8000 miles so the van has a total of 14000 now. It is a 2015 A-class model and we think it is great. 3.0 auto with hab aircon, satellite, leather and lots of goodies. Quality seems good to us and not a single problem. It is now due for mech and hab service. Lowdhams quoted £430 just for hab service! It will be done by Family Travel Centre at Bristol for £300 including the spray. They are Dethleffs service agent. The Fiat service will be done by our local main Fiat agent who undercut even the small independents.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
We have had a Dethleffs I1EB Magic Edition since April 16 and have covered 8000 miles so the van has a total of 14000 now. It is a 2015 A-class model and we think it is great. 3.0 auto with hab aircon, satellite, leather and lots of goodies. Quality seems good to us and not a single problem. It is now due for mech and hab service. Lowdhams quoted £430 just for hab service! It will be done by Family Travel Centre at Bristol for £300 including the spray. They are Dethleffs service agent. The Fiat service will be done by our local main Fiat agent who undercut even the small independents.
You only need a damp check for the warranty. Why waste money on a habitation check they only give the van a quick look over and charge you a fortune.
I've never had a habitation check on a van never had any problems getting warranty work done. Hab checks are another British rip off.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
@Chaumo, if you don't mind me asking, where is your local Fiat agent located, as it will be useful to have their details for future reference?

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
Imperial Commercials Gloucester

Address:

Mercia Road,
Gloucester,
Gloucestershire,
GL1 2SQ

Telephone:

01452 508 700

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Equivelant Dethleffs to Hymer we have ordered 10-15 grand cheaper. Don't know about UK prices may be hiked but they are a lot cheaper than Hymers in Germany.

As for Hymers being old fashioned have you looked at the Dynamic Line, bright and modern that's what we have ordered.

As for the spray another British Rip off Belgium dealer doesn't bother and its not necessary all they do it spay some overpriced underseal around the cable and pipe entry points.

We thought the opposite, were very close in the summer of 2015 to buying a Hymer but once we had seen the Dethleffs in the spec. we wanted which is an Esprit then the Hymer quickly fell off the wanted list.. Price wise the Hymer we were looking at was perhaps 4000 euros less.

As with most things there are many variants and spec. levels which make it difficult to judge from a distance..The Trend range is definitely a lower spec. to the Esprit..

Certainly Dethleffs are now 'woodfree' in their construction...We've had ours 6 months, travelled 9000 kms and have not regretted our choice at all..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back