Dethleffs - Good? Bad? Or

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Armytwowheels, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

indifferent?

Dispute saying we were not going to look at another van, we have been drawn towards a Dethleffs Globetrotter Premium 2002. It's huge compared to what we have now but does offer a spacious lounge area and a fixed bed.

I don't know this make or have even been in one. What's the general consensus on build quality and liveability? We need a van to go from the ski slopes of Europe to the heat of North North Africa and back to soggy England without freezing us, boiling us or getting us wet!

2. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

I would take the train :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Armytwowheels

:RollEyes:

4. lunarman

lunarman Funster

5. BritStops

BritStops Trader BritStop Owner

Our first van was a 1992 Globetrotter with 150k on the clock (we didn't look at the mileage, and were convinced we'd made a huge mistake at the time, but on the plus side, we did get it cheap! :Laughing:)

In the end it was a fantastic motorhome, taking a family of five around France with no problems, and the habitation build quality was superb. When we started looking at a replacement as we needed a garage, we were surprised at how flimsy and shoddy many of the newer vans looked in comparison. As far as we know it's still in service with its new owners.

Generally we rate Dethleffs, and if their current build quality is like it was 22 years ago, it should be a very decent van.

Steve :Smile:

Oh, and being German it's probably very well insulated.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  6. JimboT

JimboT Funster

We are new to this but we got advice from someone who has done this for a few years.
    Dethleffs was on their top 5 list!
    We spent 3 months looking a all different qualities and you can see some van are engineered to last but they come at a price.
    So far no problems everything does what it says on the box, they do like to solve problems that some might have, looked at one fixed bed moved up and down 12 inches at a push of a button (would crush items in garage).
    One thing we noticed when took for spin in dealers car park not much rattling from inside fixtures.
    They also tend to come fully loaded nothing much else needed.
    Good luck
    Jim

7. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Well respected brand - part of the Hymer group. They make good quality vans and we looked at them before buying the MH we have.

8. Armytwowheels

9. Spenders

Spenders

Eeek!

I looked at the pics and was mighty impressed... it certainly seems a fine beast...... BUT....

.......was the design of the front end entrusted to a drunken, unemployed Judge Dredd illustrator??

If we ever travel anywhere in convey with you and Colin PLEASE let me be the vehicle at the back! I couldn't face looking at that front end in my rear view mirror!

Simon
    :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Armytwowheels

It is unusual I will give you that :Rofl1::Rofl1: definitely not a wallflower of a motorhome.

11. Spenders

Spenders

......but on the plus side, if you do get it, most of the time you'll be in it and unable to see the front end!! With a bit of careful parking you could even minimise the chance of seeing it on returning to or leaving it! :Rofl1:

All joking aside, I am of course a bit jealous cos everything else about it seems luvverly. :thumb:

Simon

• Like Like x 2
  12. Dazzlin

Dazzlin Funster Life Member

We have the globetrotter esprit, not the a class but love it and as others have said, great build quality.
    One of the comfiest beds I have ever slept in.
    Also kept us toasty warm in frosts and prety cool in north africa for the last month!

13. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Looks a nice van:thumb:

It's the same layout as our old van but the lounge is slightly bigger I think.

Make sure you can live with the fixed bed and that the lounge is actually as spacious as you would want it to be if you were stuck in the van on a miserable day. That bed area can feel like an awful waste of space if you get cramped in the lounge.

14. JimboT

JimboT Funster

Was it any good looks like it has a lot of space?

15. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Our last van was a DethleffsA class. Absolutely fine, we only changed because we wanted a fixed bed and a bigger washroom.

16. martin2603

martin2603 Funster

excellent build quality go for it
    good luck.

martin2603

17. Armytwowheels

We haven't had chance to see it it yet, what with Colin working in Scotland during the week and working on the house and showing buyers around at the weekend.

I have sent pictures off of our van and the dealer was supposed to get back to me with a part exchange offer, must chase him up.

18. JEB

JEB Read Only Funster

Dethleffs good or bad

I have had Dethleffs Globetrotter A class for several years. Must say been really impressed with quality of build .When we buy we all apply different values around the Price. But do we mean cost, specification, quality? Theres a whole lotta MH`sbeing bought out there.... are we all happy? Would i buy another Dethleffs A class? Definitely...but also consider Hymer, Adria, Pilot etc etc . Thought the Dethleffs you were considering looked good in the pics, loved the front myself...sort of eddie stobbart ??

• Like Like x 2
  19. Family Guy

Family Guy Funster

Don't know if this helps but I was the second owner of this van and I've just sold a newer van almost identical I've also been to see this van the guy's looked after it he's had all the grey resprayed looks immaculate on the out side
    Inside needs updating but for the price a lot of van the vans have what I call true double floor construction you will never fill all the storage any one who knows me will know I've tried I've had 11 motor homes and these premiums are up there with the best I've had only downside very poor payload but you can up grade to 5000 for very little cost hope this helps eddie

• Like Like x 2
  20. Armytwowheels

Thank you, that's great information. In fact really helpful stuff from everyone that's replied. I will chase up the dealer tomorrow, mind you still have no idea when we can go and see it.