Dethleffs Globetrotter A-class (1 Viewer)

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
Mornin' all,
Just wondering - has anyone else on here got an early 90's A-class Dethleffs???
Had ours nearly a year now and not yet seen another one on the road!
:Eeek:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Only ever seen one on the road - probably you!:ROFLMAO: But I did have a look at a newer version last year, and was impressed with how they used the space on a vehicle that was only 20ft long.

If you go onto the dethleffs website, they have the owners clubs for all over the world for dethleff motorhomes and caravans - they may very well do meets etc if you would like to see and meet more vehicles and owners

BionicPixie

Free Member
Aug 15, 2009
non
Funster No
MH
Exp
Sorry nope ... but I have got a Dethleffs Eurostyle T63 and have had her for three years now and have only once seen another on the road :Smile: it is just that i so rarely see Dethleffs motorhomes getting a mention I just felt I would say hi:thumb:

Mine is called Matilda and she thinks she is a Land Rover:ROFLMAO:

Have you seen the ownder club song? [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ8BNyXXqD0&feature=related"]Dethleffs song [/ame]..... rofl ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
:RollEyes:
Only ever seen one on the road - probably you!:ROFLMAO: But I did have a look at a newer version last year, and was impressed with how they used the space on a vehicle that was only 20ft long.

If you go onto the dethleffs website, they have the owners clubs for all over the world for dethleff motorhomes and caravans - they may very well do meets etc if you would like to see and meet more vehicles and owners

Hi. Yes, 'Delyth' :)Rofl1:) is an excellent interior design, we've been living full-time in her for nearly a year now with all the clutter that entails, and are still on speaking terms :Cool:

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Sorry nope ... but I have got a Dethleffs Eurostyle T63 and have had her for three years now and have only once seen another on the road :Smile: it is just that i so rarely see Dethleffs motorhomes getting a mention I just felt I would say hi:thumb:

Mine is called Matilda and she thinks she is a Land Rover:ROFLMAO:

Have you seen the ownder club song? Dethleffs song ..... rofl ...

Ours is called 'Delyth' and thinks she's a Tardis. Anyway, it's good to have company! Thanks for the Dethleffs song, hadn't seen it. :roflmto:

Happy Bear

Free Member
Jan 11, 2012
Rochester, Kent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Old Type 2 man grown up
And then there were two!

Hi fellow Globetrotter lover.

At last, you are not the only person in the known universe with a secret and slightly smug grin on your face brought on by the realisation that your roaming home is more than just a little bit special.

I have had mine over a year now and still havn't seen anything I would willingly swap it for.

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
At last! :roflmto:

Gulliver appears to have a few details different to Delyth, like the external hatch to the under-bunk storage ... wouldn't mind that feature: save shifting all the accumulated junk on the settee berth. I like the gubbins under the reay skirt too.

Have you any sort of rear spring assisters fitted? Our rear springs are a bit flat - drives and handles fine but with a bit of weight inside she'd be down to the rubbers. We got a set of the Grayston supplementary springs but haven't got round to fitting'em yet...

Have you been on any ferries with yours yet? Been wondering about the overhang. Some of the ramps are a bit daunting - been thinking of fitting some sort of bar on back like yours appears to have, to save the plastic bumper thingy getting damaged if it grounds ....

Cool to have company!! :thumb:

Happy Bear

Free Member
Jan 11, 2012
Rochester, Kent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Old Type 2 man grown up
Gulliver has air suspension that needs a top up every couple of weeks but he still handles like a stately old barge and will not be rushed around roundabouts without leaning quite severely. Having never driven any other older large motorhomes I don't know whether this is bad or normal or even what his rear suspension is composed of. Maybe I have soggy springs too :Eeek:but he definitely doesn't hit the stops.

It makes driving him a slow, deliberate and pre-planned operation which makes for a pleasant journey as rushing is simply not on the cards.:Cool: It's a bit like nursing my old type 2 around, plenty of time for the scenery and good for the blood pressure.

Gulliver is going continental this summer now the pet quarantine laws have changed and Wookie can come too. So ferries will be interesting with the long rear overhang and I must make a mental note to watch out for that.

Travelbug1

Free Member
Aug 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 yr
We have a 90's Frankia A Class and same as you we have never seen another one on the road.

Maybe we should start our own mini group for elderly German motorhomes ???:ROFLMAO:
We have had ours nearly a year and again haven't seen any newer van with the same space & layout as ours, we call her Bertha, (as in big) definately not built for speed either and she needs a bit of cosmetic surgery & TLC but our family loves her !

Happy Bear

Free Member
Jan 11, 2012
Rochester, Kent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Old Type 2 man grown up
Elderly German Ladies

Looking at the dates of manufacture it looks like Hymer started this with the 534's classic layout of rear door and kitchen/toilet with drop down double bed and revolving driving seats.

This makes for a single very large and open living area which makes the interior a very attractive place to be (see pic of Gulliver in "Lounge" mode). Too many modern layouts just don't feel that spacious and you can end up feeling a bit like you have been perfectly slotted in by the computer design department as if you were just one of the fixtures.

Dethleffs, Frankia, Pilote (French) and at least 2 other early 90's A-Class manufacturers seemed to have followed the success of Hymer with their own interpretations.

I sometimes wish the old boy drove a bit more like a modern motorhome but then I would start hurrying all over the place instead of chilling out and going with the flow which is definitely better for my blood pressure and my soul.

Happy roaming!::bigsmile:

Attachments

• D4.jpg
    D4.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yep, a group for 'elderly german MHs' would be an excellent idea ...

Does Gulliver have the 1.9 engine? Delyth has the 2.5td and is quite sprightly. Good on hills too. :Smile:

Happy Bear

Free Member
Jan 11, 2012
Rochester, Kent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Old Type 2 man grown up
Gulliver

Gulliver does have the Fiat 2.5 TD engine and he can put on a fine turn of speed when required. It's just roundabouts and tighter corners that slow him down.

I can't imagine a poor 1.9 engine, that must be painfully underpowered.

Makers that I can find vehicles eligibile for the "Old German Compact A-Class Club" stands at the moment as:

Hymer
Hymer Jet
Dethleffs
Frankia
Niesmann Bischoff
FFB - Tabbert
Challenger
Euramobil

Any advance on this lot?

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
ere can i join in this eurobox club with my 2009 vintage Dethleffs coach built or is it exclusive to A class only:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Happy Bear

Free Member
Jan 11, 2012
Rochester, Kent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Old Type 2 man grown up
The Old Germans Club

I would think German, built like a pocket battleship and pre 1996 would do as a starting rule.

What does anybody else think?:beer:

Happy Bear

Free Member
Jan 11, 2012
Rochester, Kent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Old Type 2 man grown up
Hey Aba

I'm afraid you are just too smooth, too efficient, too fast, too new, too ergonomic and just too goddam shiny and I'm not jealous at all...

You probably do qualify on the not going round roundabouts in a hurry though.

::bigsmile:

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Hey Aba

I'm afraid you are just too smooth, too efficient, too fast, too new, too ergonomic and just too goddam shiny and I'm not jealous at all...

You probably do qualify on the not going round roundabouts in a hurry though.

::bigsmile:

You mean your supposed to around those things in the road:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
stcyr

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp