Despairing traders demand action over night-time camper van parking

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Jun 25, 2011.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Published on Friday 24 June 2011 09:18

SCARBOROUGH traders are being driven to despair by rogue camper van drivers abusing parking spaces to stay free of charge in the seaside town overnight.

At a recent meeting of the Scarborough Chamber of Trade and Commerce, members complained of dozens of camper vans using parking spaces overlooking the sea as an overnight sleeping spot, with one witness reporting as many as 50 parked on one street alone one evening.

The problem is most serious around Marine Drive to the north of the skateboard park and the West Pier car park, with camper vans regularly being spotted searching for spaces for the night.

Despite warnings that overnight parking of camper vans is not allowed, people are sleeping in their vehicles to avoid paying for hotels or using caravan parks.

Now traders are calling for more to be done to stop owners abusing the system and draining vital income from the seaside town’s tourist economy in the summer months.

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/around-yorkshire/local-stories/despairing_traders_demand_action_over_night_time_camper_van_parking_1_3513351

2. artona

artona

Just read the article and was interested in

"“While it might seem an ideal location to park up and enjoy an overnight stay, this is not what the parking spaces are designed for,” she added."

so what are they for?

3. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Possibly for "PARKING" not overnighting freeloaders

• Like Like x 4
  4. artona

artona

So what the difference between parking your car there all day to enjoy the beach for free rather than paying to amuse the children in a play centre and parking overnight to enjoy the experience of waking up and hearing the sea?

• Like Like x 1
  5. matamoros

matamoros Funster

The issue seems to be overnighting and avoiding paying site fees or anything else, also there is a big difference between a car and a motorhome. Motorhomes are as visually intrusive as commercial vehicles which are usually prohibited from public car parks. The best way to spoil a beauty spot is to park a motorhome on it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Terry

Terry Funster

They do not deserve people visiting the place :Eeek: What would the spaces be used for at night ? nothing / empty :Doh:
    A bit like town centers moaning about no one in shops but they charge an arm and a leg to park :Doh: Someday they will realize :thumb:
    50 campers will spend a lot of money in the town :thumb: OK some will make there own food and drinks :BigGrin: but chances are they will have bought fresh bread and fillings local thus helping the local shops,butchers,bakers etc:thumb:
    Rather than ban /stop them parking why not charge a couple of quid ? that way no one objects to a small charge (only when they get greedy )and it is a win win :thumb:
    terry

• Like Like x 10
  7. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

I think the question was answered in that caravan parks are there to cater for campervans too and those parks income is being affected

copied from report

“While it might seem an ideal location to park up and enjoy an overnight stay, this is not what the parking spaces are designed for,” she added.

“But when people abuse our parking facilities they are in effect taking away income from local caravan parks which are set up specifically to cater for camper van visitors.”

It would seem more and more seaside towns are saying enough is enough when you park for free on their seafronts (I dont blame them either) but it is a shame that the councils either wont or dont want to set up aires for motorhomes. I also think site rates are on the expensive side generally more so in popular destinations but do use them when away if not at a show

Last edited: Jun 25, 2011
    • Like Like x 2
  8. artona

artona

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I totally agree that some motorhomers take liberties. I don't agree with someone taking root for days and days.

I also agree with your comment about commercial trucks. From a personal point of view it annoys me when I see 2 or 3 lorry drivers overnighting in laybys and taking up the whole layby. On the way back from the great escape the other week we had intended stopping for a nice lunch in a big layby just outside Newark on the Lincoln road. Its got lovely views but we could not find a spot as there were about 10 big lorries parked up, its a beauty spot, not a truck stop! :BigGrin::BigGrin:

Oh well, we drove on and found another down the road.

I love seeing motorhomes enjoying the beauty of the land. I don't agree that a few parking up overnight spoil them.

9. artona

artona

Good one Terry. I would rather pay a few pounds to go towards the civic costs and maybe help upkeep the beauty spots rather than pay £20 - £30 a night to make a site owner wealthy. Whoops thats a bit aggressive of me :Blush::Blush:

• Like Like x 7
  10. Terry

Terry Funster

I always thought the idea was to encourage visitors :Rofl1: :thumb:
    a bit like yesterday,in M&S bought a chicken and bacon sarnie (£2.50)absolutely awful :cry: should have taken it back but now will never buy another :Rofl1: Did not even give it to the dog :BigGrin: just binned it :Eeek:
    terry

11. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Live and let live !!

Lorry drivers are, by law, restricted to the amount of hours permitted to drive before a mandatory rest stop is required ! There are not many truck stops in the UK any more, so a lay bye is the obvious choice !! At least you had the choice of moving on, drivers often do not have that choice !!
    There are many parking areas that limit the weight of a vehicle therefore again restricting permitted parking areas ! :Doh:

• Like Like x 6
  12. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Lorries are essential to the economy of this country, they are also strictly regulated. Drivers hours are limited and severe penalties are imposed for infringements. Lay byes are there for everyone to use and CV drivers have to park where they legally can to take legally enforced breaks, believe me most drivers do not relish overnighting in lay byes. Motorway service areas now charge up to £25 a night for parking, when you can find a space, lorry parks have been closed and new ones refused permission because of 'nimby' locals.
    So sorry that drivers taking essential breaks in the only places available spoiled your picnic with a view.

• Like Like x 6
  13. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

How typical of most of our local councils; why not be forward thinking like the councils in Derbyshire who allow overnight parking in their carparks from 8.00 pm - 8.00am for a nominal £1 per night. The councuil benefit, the motorhomers benefit and the town receives the benefit of happy holiday makers who are much more likely to spend money in the town.

We have just returned from France having used aires and always took on board the comment in the Aires site list reminding us these facilities are provided to encourage holiday makers into the town, so make sure you spend money in the town.
    So come on councillors think bigger and wider and especially if you are in a tourist area, remember money spent on car parking does not go through the commercial system providing income for businesses totally dependant on holidaymakers.
    Forcing MH'ers pay for facilities they do not want or need will drive many away - just as the caravan sites are driving away large RV's with their length retsrictions.

Norman

• Like Like x 2
  14. artona

artona

Yep totally agree and my earlier post was a little tongue in cheek to check out the reaction, sorry about that :BigGrin::BigGrin:

So whats the difference to what you say about lorry drivers and motorhomers. Parking is there for all. I think if there is a stretch of road that allows parking without the vehicle causing obstruction to others then it should be there for parking. If its safe during the day and is lit its safe overnight. Campsites want £25 a night to be cramped in, I saw an advert in the CCC magazine the other day saying £40 during the school holidays!!

15. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

we have had this before. I and many others who free park are not freeloaders. Coming from the South West I pay exhorbitant rates so that the rest of the country can come and visit our beautiful area. so please don't call me a freeloader, I find it insulting.

16. scotjimland

You are absolutely correct Stew.. and it's the main reason people freeload..

Forget the excuse of waking up to a pretty view etc.. it's all down to money .. but that is no excuse for breaking the law, there are thousands of excellent Cl/CS sites for around a tenner.. but clearly even that is too much for some .

As for spending money in the local community, that is a a load of bull, most will stock up with food and drink at a supermarket before looking for a free parking spot and spend little in the local shops.

The cost of camping sites should be factored in to the cost of buying/running a motorhome.. it's not a cheap holiday or hobby..

Have a look at some of the prices abroad .. £25 would be cheap .. I looked at one the other day in France in July and it was more than €60 .. yes sixty euro per night.. :Eek!:
    Too rich for me, and I suspect for many others, so I would look for a low amenity site, aire, or municipal ..

• Like Like x 3
  17. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

err the supermarket is a local shop, and pay rates to the local community same as smaller shops.

• Like Like x 2
  18. scotjimland

it's the local small traders who are complaining , not the out of town supermarkets.. Not many supermarkets are in town centres ..

We always stock up, (as I suspect most do ) with food and fuel at a local supermarket before leaving, and while en route, look for an out of town supermarket to re stock .. simply because it's cheaper and more convenient ..

19. Terry

Terry Funster

Sorry Jim I disagree -- we spend a fortune both in local shops including supermarkets :Wink: restaurants, cafes, chippy :Rofl1: and pubs :BigGrin: We also use sites a lot more than wild.We also take far too much grub with us and bring most of it back.
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  20. scotjimland

I'm sure you do Terry, but if this were true of everyone who parked up the local shops would not be complaining ... would they ?

note.. it is not the council who are making waves..