Designing a new kind of motorhome

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by News, May 29, 2010.

1. News

News NewsHound

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/columnists/mike-rutherford/7772602/Mr-Money-designing-a-new-kind-of-motorhome.html

2. vwalan

vwalan Funster

and as been happening for years.
    forget your high priced m,home look for a good low milage truck .get a nice box on the back and thats the base . every thing they write about is possible . its happening big in germany and is slowlybeing done here. get value for money. cheers alan,

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

took the words out of my mouth Alan.. nothing new here and the guy obviously has never used a camper van, has no idea about power ...
    or the costs of a new base vehicle and conversion
    :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

If only it were possible.. he's thinking Tardis , not camper van, someone should point him to the SBMHC

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi jim .remember he probably is a journalist.if he isnt wtiting for newspapers he becomes unemployable.
    lives on another world to us gets far too much money and tell us there is a credit crunch because he cant borrow any more of our money.
    well not mine .i prefer a little chinese man as they earn lots and the return is great. must go and carry on with the tardis cheers alan.

5. Terry

Terry Funster

Don't forget that he can also remove the deprecation from the equation :thumb: (provided he is handy :Rofl1: ) If a self build is done to a high standard then it is easy to run a van for a few of years then sell and make a profit :thumb:
    terry

6. Kon tiki

Kon tiki Read Only Funster

While reading the article it seems he hasn't a clue about motorhomes, if his costs of £10k annually were correct then we'd all be millionaires (or have to be to own a motorhome) There can be a high depreciation in the first couple of years but unlike a car this slows down over the years.

Trying to make a multi use vehicle means compromise, unless you have a Tardis you can't make a small van into a large motorhome. Even the idea of having things like slideouts etc. have a massive weight penalty. Thee was a post of a Japenese small van that converted to a two storey motorhome, looked good but not sure it worked too well. Having a reasonably sized coachbuilt motorhome isn't really ideal to use for a day to day runabout, car park height barriers are just one of the problems. His idea of a wood burning stove (although I did see one van using one) where is he going to get the wood from? or his he just taking an axe to chop down the nearest tree.

Whilst he might think he has some ideas anybody who has built or owned their own motorhome soon realizes that its not that simple.

7. Happy Hippy

Happy Hippy Read Only Funster

The bloke obviously doesn't have a clue. You can put a good live-in vehicle together for well under 10K, or buy a ready kitted out one. Most of the other travellers I've met use a woodburner, with a chimney through the roof, and these can burn coal if you can't get wood, although in woodland areas there is usually plenty of dead wood lying around that can be collected, but it's a lot of work compared to a gas heater. And campsite fees, not necessary if a vehicle is properly equipped for autonomy (which many of the 50 grand ones are not!!) with due regard for charging batteries without having to run the engine.

8. AdgeRas

AdgeRas Read Only Funster

From reading the article I got the impression that someone needs to tell him that the van conversion has been invented :Smile:

He does not seem to know about the market for used motorhomes either or have a clue about the different lengths that motorhomes comes in, our Compass Avantgarde 200 is currently parked on our drive with about a metre on either side to the house and the footpath.

Rasmus