Design considerations.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by beachcaster, Oct 18, 2012.

1. beachcaster

beachcaster Read Only Funster

We just spent a day and a half wandering around at the NEC looking at mainly motorhomes and I noticed some design trends that I found interesting.

many premium motor home manufacturers seemed obsessed by the idea of turning the interiors into a trendy apartment.
    Masses of white leather.....really pale carpets and my most hated...in the bathroom a small glass "sit on the surface" "washing bowl" not much bigger than a desert bowl. I have my rice pudding in something bigger than that !

One manufacturer of 60 - 100k motorhomes had no wardrobe space at all in many of their motorhomes ....No where to hang clothes or coats !

But the worst thing I saw again from a well know expensive brand was a drop down bed that lowered itself in a very impressive way from the ceiling at the press of a button.............and once in position covered and blocked the doorway !
    I am sure that some of the designers have never used a motorhome !

I could go on ...and on. Whatever happened to practicality ?

Oh and the poncy manufacturers only allowed "Accompanied Viewing"
    You had to have a salesman show you around inside.............

Overall an interesting experience that for me demonstrated an industry that for the most part is losing its way.

barry

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
    • Like Like x 7
  2. JJ

JJ Funster

Seems to me to be yet another example of the modern trend of image over content.

It looks great so I will buy it (and pay more than it is worth because it is a "Brand").

I was looking at a luxury, top of the range van once and later learnt that if I put my shaving kit in the flash bathroom cupboard and laid out my Man City Jim Jams on the island bed I would have used up nearly all the payload!

None spare for FB pies... :Eeek:

JJ :Cool:

• Like Like x 4
  3. Terry

Terry Funster

The trend has been around for a long time now ----One of the worst being the nice looking sun roofs above the driving seats.A perfect way of saving money on cupboards/storage and payload.They also stick in lots of open shelf / wine racking that again could be useful cupboards.
    Do a S/B and you get what you want :BigGrin:
    Terry

• Like Like x 4
  4. thearchitect

thearchitect Read Only Funster

Form should follow function, so I agree with all of the above.

I'm off to the NEC tomorrow, so I look forward to seeing all these 'fancy vans' and if I can hang my flowery shirts and [STRIKE]red[/STRIKE] LILYWHITE strides in the wardrobe and if there's anywhere to store my manbags. :Eeek: :Eeek: :Eeek:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Bugger. I have just ordered a van with a nice looking sun roof over the driving seats..:Doh::BigGrin:

6. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

My 2012 Autotrail still had a stupid crome wine bottle and glass holder in one of the rear top cupboards.. First job was to un-screw it and it's gone in the re-cycle box..
    and to make it worse, no cup / bottle holders in the new cab :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  7. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

So in the summer when it's hot you will have all that sun shining in. making it nice and hotter.. and in winter another patch for extra condensation / heat loss...

My mate's words not mine.. But a valid point I guess.. There are lots of caravans with that design now..

• Like Like x 2
  8. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

Barry I Totally agree with you 100%:thumb:...looks good in a brochure:Doh: But not in the real world.

Mel

9. alfandM

alfandM Funster

As the old saying goes, Never Mind the quality feel the width, do you remember that saying? I all ways remember that when i inspect any thing that comes from China:Rofl1:

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Then go and sit in an old Hymer, loads on here, just about the best compromise you'll ever see.

I must say brisey's new Autotrail Apache 632 SE comes the closest second I've seen in a modern van.

• Like Like x 1
  11. electricscott

electricscott Funster

me too, no intention of buying just s nice day out, also looking for a similar layout to our bessicarr 645 just in case we win the lottery.:RollEyes:

12. Terry

Terry Funster

:BigGrin: I made 2 cupboards up there and get tv plus 3 single quilts and 3 x 2 ins memory mattresses up there :thumb::Smile:
    terry

13. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Indeed, but at all other times a lovely bright van. It comes with a blind so not sure it's a great big deal. It is I think a perfect van for us:thumb:

14. Gunner29

Gunner29 Read Only Funster

NEC

Off tomorrow (Friday) but not looking to buy a new M/H.
    Lots of bits and pieces needed but will see what the prices are v Amazon!!!