Denmark (1 Viewer)

May 8, 2010
South Wales
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam T-Line785
Exp
since 2009
Hi all, I have not posted for a while. Looking for advice and ideas for Easter this year. Glyn and I are looking to travel FROM Calais up to Esbjerg in Denmark. We will have the fortnight Easter Hols. We will be travelling with our Basset hounds hence why we will be travelling from the Euro tunnel. I like to have our boys in he van with us when we cross. Looking for routes where to stay etc. basically we would take our time travelling up stay a few days then travel back. Not intending to spend to long in Denmark but just want. Holiday of touring a little. Hope you have ideas. We do not wan to travel on the boat direct to Denmark but go through Belgium, holland and Germany. :Smile:::bigsmile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Shall watch this closely as Nikki only suggested last night that this will be our next chosen adventure for a summer holiday.:Cool:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
AdgeRas was the man to answer all the questions but it looks like they are now read only members, however Paul, Onderweg often visits Denmark and Dave Snowbird often passes though when off fishing. So either of them should be able to answer specific queries, good lucky take loads of money and enjoy the holiday.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Denmark is a great country for motorhoming. Its not as expensive as Norway and although wilding is technically not allowed everyone does it. As long as you dont "set up camp" hanging out washing etc you wont have a problem. There are many campsites but I prefer to park alongside the many lakes. The Danes all speaka da english so no problems with communication. Try to visit Legoland whilst up there as that's one of the main attractions. The Danes are great ones for American style BBQing and most villages will have some sort of old car show with a BBQ on at the weekend. Have a good trip and if you take your time you will enjoy it as its not a very big country.

DesRes

Free Member
Apr 21, 2012
West Lancs
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 ish...
We've been on a couple of tours of Denmark, plus I've spent a bit of time there with work. As said, it's a small country to get around, plenty campsites, I like the place. If you're not venturing far, head up the west coast for a "get away from it all" feeling. Sure, little is cheap in Denmark so be prepared for that. If you get as far as Copenhagen it's worth the drive across the bridge to Malmo. Good luck with it...:Smile:

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
Hi all, I have not posted for a while. Looking for advice and ideas for Easter this year. Glyn and I are looking to travel FROM Calais up to Esbjerg in Denmark. We will have the fortnight Easter Hols. We will be travelling with our Basset hounds hence why we will be travelling from the Euro tunnel. I like to have our boys in he van with us when we cross. Looking for routes where to stay etc. basically we would take our time travelling up stay a few days then travel back. Not intending to spend to long in Denmark but just want. Holiday of touring a little. Hope you have ideas. We do not wan to travel on the boat direct to Denmark but go through Belgium, holland and Germany. :Smile:::bigsmile:

looking forward to reading the full report on your return..."what i did on my holidays" type thing:roflmto:

G8WVW

Free Member
Jan 15, 2013
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1990 on/off
Hi, did exactly this trip back in August/September travelling through Belgium, Holland & Germany returning by DFDS ferry to Harwich. 1,964 road miles from home in Cumbria. I didn't book anything in advance other than ferry home which was fine except early September sites in Denmark where starting to closedown for winter and it took a bit of phoning round to find one open. Wild camped a few times without problem. Hamburg had a well signposted 'motorhome' campground almost under a flyover not 1-1/2km from centre with decent facilities and close enough to enjoy nightlife; very recommended if still open in March and you enjoy a night in town. Other than that nothing majorly different from travelling anywhere else in Europe. Fill up your tanks and go!!

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi, did exactly this trip back in August/September travelling through Belgium, Holland & Germany returning by DFDS ferry to Harwich. 1,964 road miles from home in Cumbria. I didn't book anything in advance other than ferry home which was fine except early September sites in Denmark where starting to closedown for winter and it took a bit of phoning round to find one open. Wild camped a few times without problem. Hamburg had a well signposted 'motorhome' campground almost under a flyover not 1-1/2km from centre with decent facilities and close enough to enjoy nightlife; very recommended if still open in March and you enjoy a night in town. Other than that nothing majorly different from travelling anywhere else in Europe. Fill up your tanks and go!!

Best place for motorhomes in Hamburg is the riverside parking in the St Pauli district. Its 5 minutes walk from the reeperbahn and central for all the fish eateries and the old fish market which is now used as a huge beerkeler with bands on all weekend. The weekend market is not to be missed and boat trips down the river all leave from 200metres from the parking place. Price is about 8 euros for 24 hours. You can sit in the van overlooking the river and watch boats coming and going to your hearts content. I love Hamburg as its such a vibrant, lively, fun, city that comes alive after dark.

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
If you get as far as Copenhagen it's worth the drive across the bridge to Malmo. Good luck with it...:Smile:

I think that will work out a bit expensive just for a run out-----for our m/home the toll is €150 each way as far as we can gather:Sad::Sad: --plus of course the other bridge toll €80 each way ???-----it would probably be cheaper to hire a car to do a run over the big bridge:Sad::Sad:
We are planning to go via the ferry Travemunde to Trellborg to enter Sweden in the South then up to North Norway----thats our plan at the moment::bigsmile:

Nigel & Pamala

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We went to Denmark 14 years ago with the caravan and went from Dover to Calais. We had first 2 nights in Holland, Delft Houst I think, and then the next day made it to just over the Danish border and pulled into a small site there (can't remember exactly where but was on the main road over the border). Then onto a campsite opposite the gates to Legoland which was quite good but every evening they opened the gates and MHs poured in and parked where they liked - one even parked between our caravan & car!

Loved Legoland, loved Denmark but it rained constantly and we were there in August so it spoiled it a bit.

Would happily go back again as the country was very picturesque and the people were lovely.

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Visited Denmark lots of times (Brother and Sister married Danes an live there) The only downside I can see is its quite difficult to plan a route from Calais thats doesn't involve endless miles of Autobahn,Which are very boring I have done it on my bike a few times and avoided the Autobahns but adds considerably to the journey time,I have looked at the ferry from Harwich but fairly expensive,DFDS also have a strange way of pricing,quote you under £100 for the MH then charge you over £300 for the cabins (compulsory) ?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
So near yet so far. We don't take the motorhome but we're thinking of Harwich to Esbjerg again this year to get to the Faroes. Did Harwich to Hook and drove in 2011 but as hdvrod says, a long way. Last year we shipped the car out from Immingham but with flights to meet it the cost was much the same, to say nothing of the paperwork. DFDS sailings just miss our Saturday connection from Hirtshals so means 2 nights hotel in Denmark although we can make the connection on the return. Decisions, decisions, Legoland anyone? :Sad:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back