Demountables/Truck Campers Revisit (1 Viewer)

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Hiya can we have another look at these again!!!! As some may know i have a Calder KLITE. and am very happy with it , for short flexible touring camping trips to out of the way places i have been strongly considering a folding camper/trailer tent of which there are many types BUT for similar type money could get a pop-up style demountable i have looked through buying guides on Truck Camper website and some of the smaller types would appear to better fit my bill . SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOO i have set a tediously long scenario can anyone give their first hand experience of one of these OR simply chuck in your 2 pennorth! AL

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
The pop top one at niche that i had a peek in didnt have a toilet/washroom compartment in it, but i suppose that could be optional. I also thought they would be quite good as when 'folded' and on the move they are not much higher than the pickup roof there would be less drag so better fuel economny

OP
OP
GIBLA53

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
:winky:Good call Nene Overland market a US. import Four Wheels Pop-Up Campers that look tasty would be interesting if anyone has looked at one in the flesh, its looking like the roof bars need ditching not that they are used for anything anyway! Al

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We assume you have a twin cab Navara, if so, your bed length severely restricts the type of demountable you can put on. Our truck has an 8' bed and we have an 11' truck camper.

This is far too big to put on a small bed, even a short bed american pickup.

You can get small demountables, but obviously this limits what equipment will be in it, for instance losing the toilet/shower compartment as Chatters says.

They do work out expensive for their size. Take a look at Nene Overland, they have bought some in from the States to go onto Land Rovers etc.

We have gone for a big one as we intend to spend 6 months of the year in it travelling around Europe and didn't want to be so restricted on space.

Nigel and Pamala

algill

Free Member
Dec 12, 2007
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Al
We hired a 10 ft truck camper in Canada to tour the Yukon and Alaska. It was great - everything we needed and so well designed. It was classed as a 3 berth but I think it would be a bit tight for more than 2 people.

We would love to have one here - as you say as an alternative to the 5ver. However, as Sundowner says, you need the truck with the long bed to accomodate this type of camper and ours isn't.

The truck we had in Canada was a Ford F350. :thumb:

We did see an interesting set up in Canada with a truck and tent style set up on the back. I'll try to find the photo of it and post it for you.

Al

Feb 25, 2008
Barril da Alva, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
on and off for the whole of my existance
demountable

I owned a demountable, originally for a datsun 1 ton pick-up, and made it fit my land rover. what a fantastic way of travelling with a little ore ability to use rough roads and tracks. mine only wieghed probably 250kgs empty, had a shower toilet room and sleeping space for four, although if you were to spend a while in it, two would be more comfortable. Thay do have some limitations but a lot of advantages over a standard motorhome.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GIBLA53

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Update

I had to travel home to the UK. last week and managed to get to Nene Overland to look at an Eagle pop-up demountable made by 4 wheel Campers (US. import) these fit into any type of Euro pick-Up. They are relatively small at 10' long and far pricier than a trailer tent option BUT they are hugely impressive,well made and just look and feel right. I ask again !!!!!!! does anyone have personal experience of these or spot a flaw i have not considered -any comments would be appreciated Al.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back