Dell Inspiron N5010 goes belly up (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Bought in Sep 2011 from Dell, It has an Intel i7 quad core processor.

A few days ago I noticed the cooling fan was running more than normal, in fact almost continually, even on idle.. the air coming out was very hot .. checked the core temperatures, on idle 65c rising to near 90c when working hard.

Checked the air vents and cleaned but no difference.. I only ever use it on a desk with a cool pad support..

Checked on line for this issue and found a long thread on the Dell Support site.. no one had a fix, many were blaming it on a poor heat sink, and or poor design. Best advice was to call Dell.

Called Dell support yesterday and they asked me to run the Dell hardware test .. this is done by holding down the Fn key while switching on .. takes about 30 mins to complete.. the agent was on the phone talking me through this test.

On completion it had three fails, one for the processor, the other two on the hard drive.. :Sad:

The agent said it had to go back for repair.. for an upgraded heat sink and maybe a new hard drive.. so as arranged it was collected today and should hopefully be back within 10 working days..

So, not great.. it's only 6 months old.. but Dell telephone support was faultless.. will report back when I get it back.. meanwhile I'm using my Sony 12" VGN..

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Hope you get it back better than new, Jim. Not what you should expect from a manufacturer as big and established as Dell - especially as they had overheating problems some years ago and were supposed to have sorted things out.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hope you get it back better than new, Jim. Not what you should expect from a manufacturer as big and established as Dell - especially as they had overheating problems some years ago and were supposed to have sorted things out.

Yes indeed Graham.. our old Dell Inspiron, bought in 2006 is still working well, never misses a beat .. main reason for buying another two.... Jan has the same model with the i5 processor and it runs cool, rarely does the fan run.. so it looks like the i7 generates too much heat to be packed into a laptop ..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
it is probably a full size case processor design they fitted into a laptop my brother had an all singing laptop a few years ago with a top of the range processor in it it set on fire:Doh:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Report back

Good news

Lappy came home about two hours ago and is running cool .. so well done Dell for the repair/upgrade and a quick turnaround

Parts replaced

* Heat-sink
* Palm rest

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Yes indeed Graham.. our old Dell Inspiron, bought in 2006 is still working well, never misses a beat .. main reason for buying another two.... Jan has the same model with the i5 processor and it runs cool, rarely does the fan run.. so it looks like [HI]the i7 generates too much heat to be packed into a laptop [/HI]..

My son has just treated himself to a Asus's Zenbook with the i7 and the larger ssd, we are talking about a wafer thin laptop yet it runs as cool as a cucumber so maybe the heat-sink is the long term solution. Great service by the way:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Now I was thinking I'd get the thermometer from the bathroom cupboard and tuck it under the warmest bit of the laptop!!

Good service from Dell - glad they fixed the problem.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back