pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
getting grief off my Dell laptop :Sad:

it shuts down with an error message about memory instabilty and closing to protect the OS.

i've tried using 'system restore' to various dates but the fault is still there.

i'm now trying to use system repair (re-install the OS leaving all files and programs intact) but theres one thing niggling me..
its been loading files for well over an hour now and theres no way to check progress as this repair is performed from the Bios (i think)
the hard drive light isnt flashing either.
all i have is a blank screen with the words,

Windows is loading files . . .

is it normal to take this long ?

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
sounds like its giving you a large hint

time to save important stuff before it fries

and replace it

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
nothing to do with the Os or hard drive John, it is the memory that is either loose or failing. It may just have come loose, usually 2 strips accessable via a small cover underneath the lappy. If it is fault simple enough to replace without a masive stripdown, just unclip old one and clip new strips in.
For prices and availability check below
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listmodel.aspx?pl=Inspiron Laptops/Notebooks&mfgr=Dell

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
If it's a Dell Inspiron, I have one here with a broken screen - you're welcome to the memory or motherboard if you want them :thumb:

OP
OP
pappajohn

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
nothing to do with the Os or hard drive John, it is the memory that is either loose or failing. It may just have come loose, usually 2 strips accessable via a small cover underneath the lappy. If it is fault simple enough to replace without a masive stripdown, just unclip old one and clip new strips in.
For prices and availability check below
http://www.crucial.com/uk/store/listmodel.aspx?pl=Inspiron Laptops/Notebooks&mfgr=Dell

it wont be getting fixed by me Roger.....its only 6 weeks old :Doh::roflmto:

figured if it was a software problem i'd do a full recovery but it seems to be working ok now :thumb:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I had a problem with a Dell some time ago, rang Dell, they sent an engineer and replaced the Motherboard, it was 11 months old..

ShiftZZ

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back