Delay time before ferries refund you?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by atakd, Oct 16, 2010.

1. atakd

atakd Read Only Funster

We're due to sail Seafrance, Dover-Calais, on Wednesday morning and things are starting to look a bit iffy with fuel shortages and port blockades.

http://www.poferries.com/tourist/co...formation_sailing_updates_sailing_updates.htm

Our saver booking doesn't give any refund if we cancel but I assume that if there is a long enough sailing delay we can get our money back. Does anyone have any idea how long a sailing must be delayed before we can cancel and get a refund? Seafrance's Ts&Cs make no mention of this:Sad:

As we are only going for 10 days we don't want to be hanging around Dover and Calais for most of the trip, nice though they are.

Ideally we would rather cancel before driving 300 miles to Dover from oop North - has anyone cancelled in these circumstances this before?
    TIA
    Andy

2. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

this is very simple contract law

Any first year law student can give you the answer to this one.

1) you have a contract
    2) Consensus ad idem - agreeing to same thing i.e they sell you a passage you buy a passage.
    3) rescission - setting a side a contract i.e making it void

so if you are not able to travel due to the fact that the contract cannot be performed by the ferry company you are entitled to your money back... BUT and there is always a BUT.. you will have to produce yourself to the docks for transportation for the contract to become void unless the ferry company puts a notice on there web site that they will honour a later use or a refund.

Simple issue.. look at the web site and see what they say .. if you paid by credit card you may be able to get a refund from the card company. If paid another way then approcah who you paid (i.e Ferry company) and ask for a refund.. you will get your money back as the contract will not be able to be performed.

Bob:thumb: