Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
There's a horrible word for a Monday!

So, we've had Winne about a year an a half and ever since we got her she has had a vertical raised line if you like running from the leading edge of the lower fridge vent down through/past the furnace, approx 75mm then on down to the top (ish) of the wheel arch, about another 175mm, dead straight about 25mm wide and 3mm proud of the body, nice and solid and frankley looked like a simple 'ripple' in the fiber glass.

Well, had her over at the weekend to check the brakes and the above ripple is much the same between the fridge vent and furnace but now fans out from below the furnace down to the wheel arch at about 150mm wide, delamination:Angry:

Poped the fridge vent cover off and all looked good so took the frame out, wet fingers as removing and sure enough the bloomin surround has leaked. It obviously a minor leak but given the thin fiberglass outer is on 3 (ish) mm wooden board bonded (formaly) to polystireen (I'm guessing pretty much the same for all modern MHs from which ever side of the pond) it hasn't taken much to, well, delaminate the outer. The inside is fine, bone dry and no damage evendent and most of the delaminated outer is actually in the wheel arch section, ie outside.

Anyway, who can tell me what? I can hazard a guess at the ultimate repair, and the associated chaos/cost:Sad:, but any thoughts, how stable could this area remain, I'm guessing it'll crack eventually. Are there any insitu repairs, or injections of goo that could be done, and by who with what? Am I making any sense?

Anyway, a bit sad as she's such a loverly bus but hey, she's 15 years old so I suppose not unsupprising a seal giving a little.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Dodgey,firstly you have to fix the leak :thumb: then dry it out, then inject glue,but you know that anyway :thumb:The drying out bit may well involve taking a internal board or 2 off and any insulation to get the outer skin board to dry before re glueing :thumb:
terry

OP
OP
Dodgey
Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Cheers Terry, leak found and fixed (forgot that bit:Blush:), as to taking internal boards off, that'd be fun (is a non starter) as the wall passes the floor and the wheel arch so no go. If it has to come off it's from outside:Eeek:

I had a goof around tinternet and I've read about injecting glue, which I wondered if doable, but what glue and where to get from crossed my mind.

Drying out, all I can really do is give it plenty of time as as said access is not feasable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi again, you will need some acrylic / contact adhesive then :thumb: (water based )I know that painter chaulk sticks very well even though it is a gap filler.Not sure how long it would take to go off in a sealed environment, but given time it sticks like the proverbial :ROFLMAO:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back