Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
I've just traced the 'smell' coming from our Autoquest. After many 'flush-throughs' of the water system and still not rid of odour it was discovered by my son that the inboard Leisure Battery was incredibly hot. It was obviously causing the 'rotten egg odour' and was immediately disconnected. I am now left with just the one battery which will suffice for now.

Researching on the internet it seems that this is fairly common and I found lots of stories which relate to the same problem.

Anyone on here had this?

Rob

Last edited:

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
If the battery is that bad it is shot (usually through cells collapsing and 'welding' together) - may be through over charging, so check the charging system and what voltage it is charging at. Lucky you traced it, as it could have swollen up and popped - which is not good!

OP
OP
Rob e Lee

Rob e Lee

Free Member
Apr 16, 2012
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
On charge I get a voltage reading of 13.8 - is that about right? My other battery which it was linked to is fine.

Rob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
13.8 is within tolerances whilst on charge. Dont just change one battery on a two battery system. Change them both.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Does sound ok, not perfect, but ok. The main thing is that it isn't over charging. It may be that the battery is just either old or faulty.

Just to be sure, run the vehicle and check the alternator charge. Just wondering if the charge from the alt is fluctuating.

As snowbird says, it is best to replace both! If one has had issues, it can easily deteriorate the second - so replace them as a pair for optimum performance.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Don't forget to fill it with tap water to the top and weigh it in at the scrappy :thumb: you get at least a tenner ::bigsmile:
Terry

Oct 7, 2011
hereford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
since 1980
Happened to me and set off my carbon monoxide detector, frightened me to death as it was the middle of the night and I had no gas appliances switched on.
One faulty battery will continually be discharging your good battery so disconnect it until replacement.
Banner leisure batteries are very good, not just starter batteries with a leisure label stuck on as some of the cheaper ones are.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
dead cell or internal resistance/short circuit fault....both may cause the other cells to overcharge.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Something no one seems to have mentioned

That gas you can smell is extremely volatile and explosive ..
Always vent the area VERY well and ensure everything is turned off before disconnecting the battery as the smallest spark really can ruin your day ( and van, and even brick walls close by )

Apr 10, 2012
Warks / Leics border
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
Just to add to what Hymerman and others said, I had a problem with my CO alarm going off and traced it to a shot leisure battery giving off hydrogen. Pretty dangerous when you consider the explosive nature of that gas. I took advice from this site and replaced both batteries, even though only one was knackered. It also sound that (if you noticed the smell first) you don't have a CO monitor fitted. I would highly recommend you get one quick. It is not just CO issues from the gas that it picks up.

carsan

Free Member
Jul 6, 2011
Argyll
Funster No
MH
rv hi top
Exp
Since July 2011
Hi Just for info I've just bought a 110 ah deep cycle leisure battery pp free on ( advanced battery website ) for £75 sale price next day delivery 4yr guarantee. Think its a good bargain.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back