Definition of "camping"?

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by DBSilverfox, Oct 28, 2010.

1. DBSilverfox

DBSilverfox Read Only Funster

I was up at Monsal Head in Derbyshire today, enjoying the view. In the car park, behind the hotel and cafe, it advertises overnight parking at 30p from 10pm to 8am...

Hmm, thinks I, what a great place to stop over. But then at the entrance it also says "no camping".

My understanding from the Aires in France is that it only becomes camping if you start putting tables, chairs, awnings out, to extend your motorhome footprint. Is it he same in the UK?

would you legally be ok to overnight in a motorhome at Monsal Head would you think?

David

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

would you legally be ok to overnight in a motorhome at Monsal Head would you think?

short answer.....No.

parking and camping are two different animals.

where it states 'no camping' it really means 'no sleeping'

3. DBSilverfox

DBSilverfox Read Only Funster

short and sweet :Wink:

so are you saying parking becomes camping when you sleep in the vehicle?

And therefore it would also be illegal to roll out of the pub a little worse for wear, decide not to drive home, and sleep on the back seat of your car in the same car park, paying your 30p?

David

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

yep!!!

and you'd be breaking the law by being in charge of a vehicle while pi$$ed as the car park is a public place, even thought its private the public use it.

unless you leave your keys with the landlord of the pub then you'd only get a fine for sleeping.

5. buttons

buttons Funster

You can park there if you like Dave, problem is the next time you want to sit and enjoy the view from your motor home there will be a sign that we can all understand saying all vehicles with cooking facilities are not allowed to use this car park. Or maybe a height restriction. Camping is camping, parking is parking simples!:RollEyes:

6. bernardfeay

bernardfeay Read Only Funster

take a chance

If you see signs saying that you will be clamped then it's best to move on. If not keep a low profile and be ready with a good excuse.

My oil warning light came on and it was best to wait till morning and get my bike off the back to look for some. The engine was overheating. think of the best you can come up with and get the wife to tell the same story - that's the tricky bit.

7. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

the distinction between camping and parking in Europe is very clear, I.E. no tables chairs awnings or owt else outside the van and you are parking, put anything out and you are camping. why should we expect the UK to be different???????

8. 400ixl

400ixl Read Only Funster

We shouldn't expect it to be different, but that little piece of water has made many of our rules different to the continent.

I agree that the difference is perceived as sleeping. At least it was when I worked for the Highways Department of our County Council many moons ago.

Having grown up on the continent there are lots of oddities between our rules and theirs.

9. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

If we all clubbed together and one of use volunteered to test it with no cost to the volunteer we could force the authorities to define camping, any offers?

Doug...

10. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Extract from information given to me by Derbyshire Dales Council:
    Full details Here.

As to whether we should or should not expect to be different from mainland Europe, whether we like it or not the UK is different from mainland Europe in a number of aspects. When one looks at the media one finds that many of those differences are applauded by large proportions of the UK population.

Also, as shown by This Thread, there are plenty of people who believe that the definition of "camping" should not be changed.

If motorhome owners want the definition of "camping" to be the same as in mainland Europe (e.g. as Roger mentions) then the way to do it is by positive, constructive lobbying to overcome what, to many, are totally legitimate objections. Simply ignoring signs and regulations because we don't like them will be counter productive.

Graham

11. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

12. buttons

buttons Funster

Does this also apply to a caravan being hitched to a tow car, in essence they are the same beast:driving2:(a motor home) so the same should apply. Shouldn’t it?
    They have the same classification for parking in UK why not France?:yeah:

13. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The latter question is one for the French authorities, rather than here, isn't it?

As regards parking of car/caravan combinations generally, they are not always the same as a single vehicle. Trailers, including (and sometimes specifically) caravans, are not allowed at all in many car parks in the UK.

Graham

14. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

No Doug. However if we all clubbed together and asked for representation with DEFRA in the same way that the Big Clubs and ACCEO have then we could have a voice in how decisions are reached.

Politics need to be used to change laws and perceptions, not disobedience.

15. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Does that mean that all those lorry drivers taking their compulory breaks in the cab of their vehicle are Camping. I keep bringing this up and I am told it is different because they have Tacos and have to stop.

If sleeping in the vehicle is camping then they must also be camping and not parking as they say they are.

16. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

at last a voice of reason.

17. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

18. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Worked for the Peak District - where Monsal Dale is.

19. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

As the results of my investigations Here show, restrictions are normally put in place by local authorities. In making those restrictions the authorities take account of the fact that national legislation means HGV drivers have less choice than the rest of us as to when and where to stop.

Of course, one could campaign for all motorhomes to be fitted with tachos and their drivers to be subject to the same rules as HGV drivers. Then there would be a case for allowing the same freedom of overnight stops :Smile:

Graham

20. Douglas

Douglas Read Only Funster

Well John, you have faith that such an action would work, I on the other had have absolutly no faith at all.

Doug...